Top clubs consider overseas games

Tom

Michel Platini slams Premier League's plan

By David Bond, Chief Sports Writer

Last Updated: 12:47am GMT 09/02/2008

Michel Platini, the Uefa president, yesterday led an international chorus of disapproval of the Premier League's plans to go globall by ridiculing the proposal to play 10 extra matches a season overseas as a "joke".

As world governing body Fifa announced the idea for the "international round" would be examined by their executive committee next month, Platini told The Daily Telegraph he believed it would never get the backing of the sport's international ruling bodies.

Point made: Michel Platini opposes the Premier League scheme

Although the Premier League insisted last night that the project required only the blessing of the Football Association and those federations eventually chosen to stage the fixtures, the opposition of Platini and Fifa president Sepp Blatter threatens to kill the scheme at birth.

It has also placed the League on a fresh collision course with the Uefa president, who has repeatedly attacked the English game for putting money and commercial opportunities before sporting interests.

"It's a strange and comical idea," the former France international said. "I was laughing. I laughed because it will never be received by Fifa, by the fans and by the national associations. It's a nonsense idea. It's like if I am president of Uefa and I put the house of Uefa in China.

"It's ironic. Soon you will have in England no English presidents, you already have no English coach, you have no English players and maybe now you will have no clubs playing in England. It's a joke." :P

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...9/sfnbon109.xml

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something you know fuckall about but still claim you're right, as usual.

Are you saying the clubs didn't break away from the Football League? Eh? And if anything the relationship between the clubs in the top flight and the FA was closer after 1992, since the FA Premier League even shared premises with the FA.

So, how was the relationship different between the the clubs and the FA post-1992 and how did it constitute a breakaway from the FA?

'Do some research' doesn't constitute an explanation btw.

Edited by alex

Something you know fuckall about but still claim you're right, as usual.

Are you saying the clubs didn't break away from the Football League? Eh? And if anything the relationship between the clubs in the top flight and the FA was closer after 1992, since the FA Premier League even shared premises with the FA.

So, how was the relationship different between the the clubs and the FA post-1992 and how did it constitute a breakaway from the FA?

'Do some research' doesn't constitute an explanation btw.

Everything in Rico's brain can be stored on a floppy disk. :P

The ony way I could stomach this is if the final stages of the league cup were to be played abroad. I expect few of the fans of the big clubs would be too fussed about having to opt out of making the trip. I expect that the fans of the lower clubs that break into the finals would be pragmatic enough to recognise the earning potential for their club if it mean't an extra 5m into the clubs coffers plus the international recognition. How many people are delighted to see there national team play in world cups, be it half way across the world.

just my 2 cents, yen etc.

Clueless both of you. Hmm they share a building, that must mean they are linked. Fuckwit.

Nice avoidance of my questions.

Just admit you didn't have the first fucking clue about what changed when the PL was created and you actually still think you are living in 1985. Fucking idiot.

Clueless both of you. Hmm they share a building, that must mean they are linked. Fuckwit.

Just admit you didn't have the first fucking clue about what changed when the PL was created and you actually still think you are living in 1985. Fucking idiot.

<_< I refer to my previous answer.

a.k.a you are clueless

a.k.a you are clueless

Ok then. What point were you making regarding responsibility for top-flight fixtures? Specifically, post-1992 in relation to the FA? Because you said they had nothing to do with the FA after 1992, but they had nothing to do with the FA before then, did they?

a.k.a you are clueless

Ok then. What point were you making regarding responsibility for top-flight fixtures? Specifically, post-1992 in relation to the FA? Because you said they had nothing to do with the FA after 1992, but they had nothing to do with the FA before then, did they?

Clueluess

a.k.a you are clueless

Clueluess

Canny point that like.

a.k.a you are clueless

Clueluess

Canny point that like.

I wish some fucker would make a point in this tedious fucking thread. Its hard as fuck to follow and I cant be arsed to read it from the start.

The FA have no power over the Premier League, since the BREAKAWAY all the FA is a rubber stamp for the PL rule book and to allow FIFA affiliation. Hence the term BREAKAWAY.

They had no power over the fixtures (the original point mentioned) before 1992 either. The breakaway was from the Football League. The FA's position in relation to the top flight didn't change in that regard.

I see that Scudamore has said this overseas soujourn is to take the whole Premiership along as it would happen with 4 or 5 clubs anyway. He says that if the whole shooting match didn't do it, then the four or five clubs would cash in and the rest would get nought.

So, in a nutshell, it IS about money. What a surprise.

Told my missus that if NUFC do go through with all this then hips will no longer set foot inside SJP. No great loss to NUFC but I, for one, will have reached the end of the road with this vulgar cash pantomime that is modern football.

EDIT: Turning one's back forever is not an easy thing to do, I do appreciate.

Edited by snakehips

Just crack on with it in my view. The game whored itself out years ago, what's wrong with opening up a new avenue to get yet more good-paying cock in.

We are living in a material world etc

If you don't like it then take your money to a commercially naive form of entertainment.

:lol: