Why...

Guest BigThompers

It's a funny one though imo. Would it have been wise to let Allardyce spend more? Probably would have made things worse - long term at least. I think KK came in a bit late to have time to get the right players in. Bad timing of the sacking by the board for those reasons though.

I just think we have "holes" in the team, therefore even short term buys would have been a good thing. You don't have to think long term in everything you do. Football is always such that a player who improves the team is worth buying at the right price and at the right terms. You replace with better as you go. We have had a small squad, low on quality and numbers up front all season and have played a dangerous game.

Now its all going tits up. We could be in a serious position here now.

Agree with most of that. The flak I took for suggesting we should freshen the squad for the run-in (even one quality player gives the side a lift) was people locked into an imaginary mindset that there are perfect times to buy players and bad times. There is IMO never a bad time to buy a quality player. It won't be any easier in the summer either if we finish 4th bottom etc...

of course.

Quite amazing how people latch onto cliches and spout it no matter what basic commonsense tells you. How can there ever be a bad time to bring in a quality footballer to your football club ?

Mind boggling.

Still crying about an ex chairman that put the club into almost unsustainable debt with nothing to show for it <_<

at the performance of the team yes. But I'm just wondering who you are blaming for it now.

Shepherd, for appointing the man who the new regime we forced to sack, writing another season off.

bullshit

The fucking muppets calling into 5Live man. "I've lost all faith in Keegan now." Fuck off.

Like anyone really expected a miracle turnaround?! What the hell are they on? If they didn't know we'd be treading water til the end of the season (when Kev can get stuck in to bringing in his own players and rejigging the team to his ideas) then they must be fucking tapped in the heed. <_<

Why did Enrique not start? Why have two successive managers refused to put him in the team preferring someone who isn't a natural LB to start ahead of him? There must be something going on there that we as fans don't see.

As to why Smith started I have no idea. I just hope that Keegan isn't as taken in by Smith's 'commitment' (i.e. ability to pick up yellow cards) as Fat Sam was.

Apart from that I agreed with Keegan's set up and given the squad available I don't think that anyone could have picked a better starting XI.

Jeez guys come on, stop being so bloody pesamistic, no wonder the world and their dog think that we as fans are a joke. Yeah, we've had a rough start under KK but we haven't been as bad as all that - plus today's the first time in 4 games under KK that we've had a decent size squad to pick from AND importantly some of those coming back haven't had chance to train/fit in with the new boss yet. These aren't his players and he doesn't have his full back room team sorted yet - the guys only been back a couple of weeks.

This season is over for us, it has been for a while so we have nothing to lose, there's no way on this planet we'll get relegated, we're just having a hard time at the moment due to circumstance and difficult fixtures coming at a time when the team's hard pressed to work as an effective unit. All this doom and gloom nonsense plays right in the hands to any fan/media/muppet from outside the club who like to have a crack at us and it needs to stop - Kevin Keegan is the man to fix our problems, time and patience is needed and all this crap doesn't help anyone. Calm down, chill out and relax until next season when the fun really starts.

This post for me sums up why signing KK was a mistake.

We dont have aspirations or hope anymore its merely blind faith in a man who once, many years ago took us up there. Nothing based on concrete reasoning just the whole nostalgiatastic scenario of the messiah.

Thats not knocking you AP or even KK its merely the worry I had from the start, we will blindly follow the man like lemmings regardless of what he does, refusing to give criticism because hes the messiah.

We dont have aspirations or hope anymore its merely blind faith in a man who once, many years ago took us up there. Nothing based on concrete reasoning just the whole nostalgiatastic scenario of the messiah.

We have tried managers who should (on paper) have taken us there. Calling KK "messiah" is interesting, in a way I think that is what is required... Blind faith in something illogical!

for the first half we were doing OK - the problem was that MON's changes completely threw us - Carr was suddenly being roasted and the CH's were never happy with them playing two big guys up front

We went into passing the ball back in suicidal conditions to Given and put ourselves under a lot of pressure - a pity as we'd started to play the ball on the ground and looked better that the Villa in the first half and Owen looked really sharp at last

Smith never looked like scoring and the midfield were useless - if we'd brought on Faye, Emre when we subbed Harper we might have kept it at 2-1 but without another striker...................

Why did Enrique not start? Why have two successive managers refused to put him in the team preferring someone who isn't a natural LB to start ahead of him? There must be something going on there that we as fans don't see.

As to why Smith started I have no idea. I just hope that Keegan isn't as taken in by Smith's 'commitment' (i.e. ability to pick up yellow cards) as Fat Sam was.

Apart from that I agreed with Keegan's set up and given the squad available I don't think that anyone could have picked a better starting XI.

There is a rumour* he don't really want to be here.

for the first half we were doing OK - the problem was that MON's changes completely threw us - Carr was suddenly being roasted and the CH's were never happy with them playing two big guys up front

We went into passing the ball back in suicidal conditions to Given and put ourselves under a lot of pressure - a pity as we'd started to play the ball on the ground and looked better that the Villa in the first half and Owen looked really sharp at last

Smith never looked like scoring and the midfield were useless - if we'd brought on Faye, Emre when we subbed Harper we might have kept it at 2-1 but without another striker...................

Simply put Villa had another gear.

Jeez guys come on, stop being so bloody pesamistic, no wonder the world and their dog think that we as fans are a joke. Yeah, we've had a rough start under KK but we haven't been as bad as all that - plus today's the first time in 4 games under KK that we've had a decent size squad to pick from AND importantly some of those coming back haven't had chance to train/fit in with the new boss yet. These aren't his players and he doesn't have his full back room team sorted yet - the guys only been back a couple of weeks.

This season is over for us, it has been for a while so we have nothing to lose, there's no way on this planet we'll get relegated, we're just having a hard time at the moment due to circumstance and difficult fixtures coming at a time when the team's hard pressed to work as an effective unit. All this doom and gloom nonsense plays right in the hands to any fan/media/muppet from outside the club who like to have a crack at us and it needs to stop - Kevin Keegan is the man to fix our problems, time and patience is needed and all this crap doesn't help anyone. Calm down, chill out and relax until next season when the fun really starts.

Thats not knocking you AP or even KK its merely the worry I had from the start, we will blindly follow the man like lemmings regardless of what he does, refusing to give criticism because hes the messiah.

I see your point of view PP, but KK will get criticism sometimes. Yesterday he made a mistake not playing Faye [but I'm sure he's learned now]. The only thing that matters now is staying up, and making the board understand that the way forward in football doesn't come cheap.

I see your point of view PP, but KK will get criticism sometimes. Yesterday he made a mistake not playing Faye [but I'm sure he's learned now]. The only thing that matters now is staying up, and making the board understand that the way forward in football doesn't come cheap.

I really don't think they will spend that much. I'll be happily surprised if we spend more than £30m net.

I really don't think they will spend that much. I'll be happily surprised if we spend more than £30m net.

Knowing that your predictions are mostly wide of the mark, we'll probably see a new spending record now. <_<

I would agree with this comment only for the fact that I doubt KK would have returned to the club if he wasn't promised a decent transfer kitty to play with. I think KK will spend, and spend more than £30m net but only if we stay in the Premiership. The thing with KK as you may well know is that he hasn't gone to a club that hasn't promised and delivered him a decent transfer kitty. And by today's standards £30m is chicken feed.

Knowing that your predictions are mostly wide of the mark, we'll probably see a new spending record now. <_<

:nufc:

Despite whatever impression I have gave in the past I don't necessarily advocate going out and spending more dosh than anyone else to measure ambition. The best player pound for pound last time was Rob Lee, its more setting standards and showing good judgement. What bothers me is if the club isn't prepared to slog it out for the odd player who is worth the money ie if you want to be in the top 4 you need players they themselves want.

Its a balance between the 2 and if the club thinks otherwise then THAT means their ambition is not high enough. If the manager wants to buy a player then it is from that point to back him if possible, thats where the line is, but also from that point it becomes the managers judgement and responsibility.

30m isn't a lot but spent well it could buy a few quality players to push the club a fair way forward if used well. A player such as David Bentley should have been bought but now is going to cost more in the summer than what he would have cost a short while ago, instead of fucking around with all these defenders who aren't good enough. I don't agree that because he is under contract and hasn't moved he doesn't come into the equation. Every player has their price, and his has just gone up.

Kevin Keegan is the man to fix our problems, ..........................................

I want to believe that, have to believe that, he has the necessary talent to do that but my concern is that he might walk out the door as he has done before.

To knowingly walk into an already high pressure situation is a diabolical position to be in from the start but the fact that KK has accumulated only one point since he arrived has to be piling more pressure on him albeit pressure he is putting on himself for not doing as well as he hoped for.

My concern is that his self-applied pressure may prove too much for Kevin but I sincerely hope not as I don't think the pressure from the fans or the board are a factor in the equation at this time.

Kevin Keegan is the man to fix our problems, ..........................................

I want to believe that, have to believe that, he has the necessary talent to do that but my concern is that he might walk out the door as he has done before.

To knowingly walk into an already high pressure situation is a diabolical position to be in from the start but the fact that KK has accumulated only one point since he arrived has to be piling more pressure on him albeit pressure he is putting on himself for not doing as well as he hoped for.

My concern is that his self-applied pressure may prove too much for Kevin but I sincerely hope not as I don't think the pressure from the fans or the board are a factor in the equation at this time.

2 points. Bolton and boro.

See, things are better already, Noelie!! <_<:nufc:

2 points. Bolton and boro.

See, things are better already, Noelie!! <_<:nufc:

Even the beeb has an article that claims the team has only accumulated one point!

What the fuck do sub editors do now days?