Worlds 2nd oldest league to change world football!?

Kid Dynamite

Maybe not but interesting that they are trying it out up here. Im off to see Whickham today as my sisters lad plays for them and apparently they have the sky team at the game today doing a report on the whole initiative

A revolutionary “zero tolerance” approach to offensive language by players and team officials is to be introduced into the Arngrove Northern League.

The season-long experiment, which initially will apply only to the ANL second division, has been sanctioned by the FA and will be closely monitored both in the North-East and throughout football. It will initially operate in season 2008-09.

The pilot scheme, entirely within the existing laws of the game, will mean that players using “gratuitous” foul language will be shown an immediate red card. Dugout personnel will be sent to the stand, or out of the ground, and reported in the same way.

“I hope it will be a first step towards reclaiming the game from the foul mouthed yobs who increasingly are driving good people – spectators, volunteers and match officials – away from football,” said ANL chairman Mike Amos.

“It needs not just to work here but to offer evidence that it can work nationally, as it has in rugby. I’m delighted that the FA has agreed to back us – it could be a momentous day in the history of non-league football.

“There’s still a long way to go and a lot to be done, but the tide of verbal sewage with which paying spectators are greeted could at last be about to turn.”

FA referees’ committee chairman Ray Lewis, himself a former top referee, said that the experiment fitted well with the FA’s “Respect” scheme, which is being trailed in junior football. “The Northern League is right to be concerned at the unacceptable level of offensive language. We will watch very closely how this works out.”

FA and ANL officials will now meet to discuss how the scheme can most effectively be implemented and monitored – but for the first time, a league will be allowed to advise match officials on the laws of the game.

Amos admitted that the immediate responsibility for ensuring that the pilot scheme was successful would be with referees and their assistants. “In the long run it’s in the interests of us all, including referees, that football makes a stand before it’s too late.”

fuck me thats going to be fucking interesting to bastard see what the twats manage to do.

I mean for fucks sake theres too much bastard swearing at fucking football these days......wankers.

Seriously though, if followed properly we could see two blokes playing "fog man back" after 30 minutes.

Ridiculous. I'll be sent off in the first minute of our five a side games. Football is a passionate game, the odd swear word is always going to come out. Look at mild mannered Ray Wilkins, when he said "gimme that faaaaaaaaaaaking baww" live on TV against Israel.

I think it may work but at first it could see some games turning into farce, like Stevie says its an emotional game, the likes of the ANL is full of plumbers, builders, lorry drivers and teachers.

The sort of people who swear all day long so it will take a while to get people into the right frame of mind for it.

It's a good idea if a applied with common sense. Of course football is emotional and the odd swearing out of frustration is part of the game. I find the full foul mouth tirades of the likes of Smith, Rooney (who has cut it down a bit though) embarrassing and think no player should get away with it.

Rubbish idea, if it did work alot of people would be concentrating on not swearing and it would take alot of the passion out the game.

I think it's fine if they are going to start booking players who abuse the referee but sending off for swearing is a bit far.

Edited by Barton7

Good job it's only in the ANL 2nd.

I went to watch Newcastle Benfield v Consett in the ANL 1st yesterday (Benfield won 2-1) and both sides were swearing their heads off.

I've been to watch Benfield a few times this season, and seen some good games.

I think it may work but at first it could see some games turning into farce, like Stevie says its an emotional game, the likes of the ANL is full of plumbers, builders, lorry drivers and teachers.

The sort of people who swear all day long so it will take a while to get people into the right frame of mind for it.

Not really. Do you think the same people visit their granny and say 'Fuck off you daft cunt' ?

Or if they are in a church for a christening? No, you curb your language when the occasion merits it, and talking to the ref should be one of those occasions.

The argument, 'Im so used to swearing I cant stop' is ridiculous and a cop out for thick people with a small vocabulary.

(not saying you are pud)

Not really. Do you think the same people visit their granny and say 'Fuck off you daft cunt' ?

I bet Stevie does.

I bet Stevie does.

Especially if she's Scottish :icon_lol::devil:

I bet Stevie does.

Especially if she's Scottish :icon_lol::devil:

Or scouse.

Or from London

Or...you get the idea.

It's a bit silly like.

Imagine if you hit the bar from 30 yards or something mad or a decision blatantly goes against you

Trying replacing ''Oh for fucks sake'' with ''I think weve been moddycoddled old chap,''

If you swear at the ref, i.e. telling him to "fuck off" or whatever you should be sent off. If you say "for fuck's sake" when you miss or whatever it's a bit different. Strictly speaking though I thought any foul and abusive language was a red card offence though.

Or if they are in a church for a christening? No, you curb your language when the occasion merits it, and talking to the ref should be one of those occasions.

The argument, 'Im so used to swearing I cant stop' is ridiculous and a cop out for thick people with a small vocabulary.

(not saying you are pud)

i agree with you here like

Its not hard to do really, as Alex said there's nothing wrong with people swearing to themselves in frustration at say missing a shot or something, but any abuse or swearing directed at officials should be a yellow followed by a red if it continues or you do it again.

And any grown adults who claim they can't manage to not swear at a ref are as J69 said either thick or have an incredibly small vocabulary.

Of course it would never work in the prem because the refs will never book the main culprits from the big 4 like Rooney who frequently scream abuse at them for a sustained length of time, because they're spineless bastards basically.

Edited by Papa Lazaru