Ashley's Eyes on the exit door

Jimbo

MIKE ASHLEY still wants to flog Newcastle — despite Toon easing their relegation fears.

Ashley bought the club last summer for £130million and took on debts of around £100m.

And while he celebrated a vital 2-0 win over Fulham on Saturday, behind the jubilation he continues to look for an exit route.

SunSport have been told Ashley may even accept £200m to get out of Toon — a massive reduction on his original asking price of £350m.

Ashley took a major hit with the recent fall in banking shares — and estimates put his losses at £129m.

Newcastle have denied they tried to sell to DIC — the company busily attempting to buy Liverpool.

But City sources insist the word is firmly out that Ashley will do business.

Boss Kevin Keegan wants funds for rebuilding and urged Toon to give England striker Michael Owen a new contract.

However, there is no sign the club are ready to re-sign Owen or supply millions for new signings.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigThompers

The Northern Echo is also carrying this story, and includes the following quotes...

After Saturday's win over Fulham - the club's first since Kevin Keegan returned as manager - Ashley said: "I just can't wait to get to the summer and sit down and talk with Kevin about what we need to take the club forward."

:lol: Worst journalist ever?

They really just make stuff up, don't they?

I hope so.

The thing that worries me is that the constant speculation of this (even if it is utter rubbish) can undermine all sorts of things at the club, from the fans, to the players, to future transfers, to the owner, even if just in little ways.

I hope so.

The thing that worries me is that the constant speculation of this (even if it is utter rubbish) can undermine all sorts of things at the club, from the fans, to the players, to future transfers, to the owner, even if just in little ways.

I take your point (I know, feels fucking wierd :lol: ) but I think one of the first things they'd say to a potential transfer would be that Ashley's staying and not to believe any of that shite in the papers.

The Northern Echo is also carrying this story, and includes the following quotes...

After Saturday's win over Fulham - the club's first since Kevin Keegan returned as manager - Ashley said: "I just can't wait to get to the summer and sit down and talk with Kevin about what we need to take the club forward."

Shouldnt Big A and KK already have sat down and decided what and who we need to take the club forward?

I hope so.

I take your point (I know, feels fucking wierd :lol: ) but I think one of the first things they'd say to a potential transfer would be that Ashley's staying and not to believe any of that shite in the papers.

Almost certainly, but that uncertainty could still be just enough to put someone off.

The problem is I can't see there's much to be done about it, and I can't see the press getting sick of it any time soon (Newcastle and Ashley are both big press targets in their own rights). I sort of wish they'd employ the old Iraqi Information Minister, just to keep spewing out BS to the press and at least keep them contained in some out of the way field of wild speculation. And I'd quite like to see " Shock as Ashley set to be Newcastle's new No.9, Mort eyes up the goal keeping shirt" headlines. :icon_lol:

Guest BigThompers

Shouldnt Big A and KK already have sat down and decided what and who we need to take the club forward?

When? Was Keegan meant to make an instant assessment? He's still a new manager, you know.

How can they know what's needed yet?

Still don't know if we need to be taken forward from the Endsleigh or the Barclays do we.

Still don't know if we need to be taken forward from the Endsleigh or the Barclays do we.

we will stay up but lets be honest, I think most people on this board realises we pretty much need a new 11

we will stay up but lets be honest, I think most people on this board realises we pretty much need a new 11

4/5 good players will be enough and maybe 1 world class midfielder....Eh?

I dunno, we do have players that could quite easily be in a top 6 challenging first team.

What we do need is a bigger squad, to get rid of some of the real crap, and most importantly to add some quality players were we really, really need them (a strong forward that is good in the air and can hold up the ball, creatively in midfield - central and maybe on the wings too and central defence).

We don't so much have a totally rubbish squad as a pretty small squad with gaping holes in it.

I dunno, we do have players that could quite easily be in a top 6 challenging first team.

What we do need is a bigger squad, to get rid of some of the real crap, and most importantly to add some quality players were we really, really need them (a strong forward that is good in the air and can hold up the ball, creatively in midfield - central and maybe on the wings too and central defence).

We don't so much have a totally rubbish squad as a pretty small squad with gaping holes in it.

That's about the strength of it.

Fair comment, but this was the point I was trying to make, I just feel that KK already knows where he has some problems, he him self has eluded to it when saying he needs an "edge piece" I would of thought that KK and Big A would of already had a chin wag and decided how much to spend and then they would be out grafting now to secure those players in the summer

rather than start talking in the summer ala Roeder

Indeed, its nonsense some of the stuff you here that we absoluetly have to get about 10-15 players out and the same in depending on who you listen to. Keegan needs to do what he did last time when he took over a team in trouble and that's move on some who really need t go and bring in a few vital signings in areas desperately in need of improvement, but also get the very best out of all the players he's inherited who aren't doing as well as they should.

Last time i only remember him bringing in Kilcline and Sheedy to start with, Sellars and close season the likes of Beresford, Venison and Bracewell, with Lee a while after and Cole later on.

He took over a team that could have gone to the old 3rd division, yet he managed to turn them round without something like 22 players going in or out!

There are a few i'd be moving on clearly, and i'd love to see something like 6 players come in which isn't too much, but also we have to hope that 1 or 2 of the young lads make that step up to genuine first team potential thus increasing the squad for no expenditure.

Fair comment, but this was the point I was trying to make, I just feel that KK already knows where he has some problems, he him self has eluded to it when saying he needs an "edge piece" I would of thought that KK and Big A would of already had a chin wag and decided how much to spend and then they would be out grafting now to secure those players in the summer

Well lets hope Keegan and maybe the much tabloided new scouting/youth system do have ideas and plans, but they just haven't sat down directly with Ashley yet until this season is secure and the transfer window is a bit closer.

I agree, that you would hope they are already identifying the main areas of weakness and forming ideas of what to do. And i think they are because of the fact Ashley has tuened this club into a properly run, proffesional outfit who have people in various roles like Wise and the team of scouts etc. who will be doing this as we speak. Then as Keegan has said they come to him with reccomendations and he has the say on whether to buy or not.

And i think it's clear that Ashley will have given Keegan guarantees of a good tranfers budget being available or he wouldn't have taken over.

But agree with you completely that what happened under Roeder et al was a joke and so embrassing for a club of this size and that's why i'm glad Ashley has changed it from top to bottom.

Well lets hope Keegan and maybe the much tabloided new scouting/youth system do have ideas and plans, but they just haven't sat down directly with Ashley yet until this season is secure and the transfer window is a bit closer.

I'm sure they do and yeah 6 or so players of real class would be nice, the young talent they have brought in and ship out the knackers

I'm sure they do and yeah 6 or so players of real class would be nice, the young talent they have brought in and ship out the knackers

If we're going to compete we need to spend at least £50m. :icon_lol:

Maybe Ashley has realised that running a successful football club is more costly than he thought ?

It would explain the 2nd rate transfer policy adopted by the club since he came in, a huge step down from the policy of the old board.

It doesn't explain how he tempted Keegan here, but Keegan has said they haven't discussed the amount of money yet.

Time will tell. But a transfer kitty along the lines of clubs like Blackburn, Birmingham, Pompey etc is right back to the times of Mckeag, Westwood etc. Not good enough. And if this is his ambition he can fuck off.

Time will tell.

Maybe Ashley has realised that running a successful football club is more costly than he thought ?

It would explain the 2nd rate transfer policy adopted by the club since he came in, a huge step down from the policy of the old board.

It doesn't explain how he tempted Keegan here, but Keegan has said they haven't discussed the amount of money yet.

Time will tell. But a transfer kitty along the lines of clubs like Blackburn, Birmingham, Pompey etc is right back to the times of Mckeag, Westwood etc. Not good enough. And if this is his ambition he can fuck off.

Time will tell.

:lol:

Maybe the 'transfer policy' he has adopted in the two transfer windows is down to the £100 million of debt he's had to pay off to stop the club from folding because of your good mate Freddy