Ashley's Eyes on the exit door

Jimbo

Really good players that change a sides profile cost real money. I haven't heard or seen anything from the new board thus far that makes me believe that players of this kind will arrive anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong clearly.

What makes you think 'really good players' would choose to come to us anyway? Blows the argument out the water imo

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good players that change a sides profile cost real money. I haven't heard or seen anything from the new board thus far that makes me believe that players of this kind will arrive anytime soon. Hope I'm wrong clearly.

What makes you think 'really good players' would choose to come to us anyway? Blows the argument out the water imo

I bet you're rubbing you're hands in glee now. :nufc:

Talk about defeatism. :fool:

You talk like no-one outside the top four has managed to get hold of good players.

Edited by Park Life

Just telling it how it is, were not exactly an attractive proposition at the moment are we?

I know what you're saying and yes it is grounded in reality and it is harder for us to attract top tier players atm for various reasons.

But we have a lot going for us as well. Ashley is a billionaire with a big ego, we are a big club and KK is inspirational and has a much higher chance of signing unexpected names if he is given the money.

IMO we are the type of club and there probably are only 5/6 in the PL who can really transform themselves. Just my opinion like. :nufc:

surely mort posting last years accounts was enough to convince those of you who are calling him ?

the club was in a shocking state .

Edited by Hadrian

Really good players that change a sides profile cost real money.

Diego did cost Bremen 5m Euro, van der Vaart did cost Hamburg 5.5m Euro. You don't have to be lavish, you just have to be clever.

Diego did cost Bremen 5m Euro, van der Vaart did cost Hamburg 5.5m Euro. You don't have to be lavish, you just have to be clever.

Totally agree.

But we have to also be aware that top marquee players attract other big players. So ambition must be worn on the sleeve.

**I'm not interested in discussing the past before the usual suspects pipe up. :nufc:

Totally agree.

But we have to also be aware that top marquee players attract other big players. So ambition must be worn on the sleeve.

**I'm not interested in discussing the past before the usual suspects pipe up. :nufc:

Totally agree about "ambition". The factor "attraction" is a reason why I wouldn't as easily get rid of Owen as others probably would do as long as he is able to actually play decent as well.

But there are players who maybe have a decent name, but whose career has stalled or they are unhappy for one or another reason who are probably easier to attract. It's just a case of doing your homework (that's the job for the wise men now). At the current moment of time Newcastle are not able to lure happy players from big clubs anyway, regardless of the money they were offering.

ashley needs to do splash some of his cash if we're going to do anything next season, but what i'd really like to see is for us to secure as many of our transfer targets as early on in the summer as possible so keegan has enough time to bed them in and decide on what system to use next season. our season is over and i'd like to think keegan has already given mort a list of who he wants in and who we can let go.

that's something the last board was terrible at. it requires some "planning" and we may end up paying slightly more than you might at the end of the window, but that's a risk worth taking if you manage to get the players you really want in and you don't end up panic buying whoever is available in the last week of the window.

Totally agree.

Totally agree about "ambition". The factor "attraction" is a reason why I wouldn't as easily get rid of Owen as others probably would do as long as he is able to actually play decent as well.

But there are players who maybe have a decent name, but whose career has stalled or they are unhappy for one or another reason who are probably easier to attract. It's just a case of doing your homework (that's the job for the wise men now). At the current moment of time Newcastle are not able to lure happy players from big clubs anyway, regardless of the money they were offering.

Sensible post. And there are a lot of players not quite firing at their current clubs who will start to think about getting on the train, a train that is gathering speed by the week.

ashley needs to do splash some of his cash if we're going to do anything next season, but what i'd really like to see is for us to secure as many of our transfer targets as early on in the summer as possible so keegan has enough time to bed them in and decide on what system to use next season. our season is over and i'd like to think keegan has already given mort a list of who he wants in and who we can let go.

that's something the last board was terrible at. it requires some "planning" and we may end up paying slightly more than you might at the end of the window, but that's a risk worth taking if you manage to get the players you really want in and you don't end up panic buying whoever is available in the last week of the window.

Spending itself is no longer the issue. Vision of what kind of club want to be is now the question.

Also, Huntelaar is that risk. Sure he's performing well in that league, but will it translate to ours? For every Nistelrooy, there's a Kuyt and a Kezman.

Huntelaar is the sort of player who has proved himself consistently for years and who we could probably get.

No chance. Aren't Man United apparently sniffing around?

It's about jumping the queue then, isn't. Not that I think that Huntelaar is really the player needed, butsing the example of van der Vaart again, loads of big European teams were "sniffing around" when he was at Ajax. They got caught by total surprise when Hamburg lured him by showing him their intention and ambition.

i worry man city take some of the targets left by the top4 that we could do with .

but i agree , even rhonaldino was found somewhere . diego vdv , modric are all going tobe snapped up, its upto us to find the next ones out there .

bound tobe a few gem's in psv's youth squad we can nick before they bloom . fiorentina is another good team to raid .

Also, Huntelaar is that risk. Sure he's performing well in that league, but will it translate to ours? For every Nistelrooy, there's a Kuyt and a Kezman.

Is Kuijt really a good example? I think he is grossly underrated by loads of people who reduce him to his goal scoring record, which is obviously not the best. Of course he scored loads of goals in Holland, but this was never the most important part of the game. He is a workhorse with quite good understanding of the game. In a supporting role he does quite well to get the best out of team mates imho. That's the diference to players like Kezman (or Huntelaar) who are foremost goal scorers and who indeed are liabilites when they don't score.

Is Kuijt really a good example? I think he is grossly underrated by loads of people who reduce him to his goal scoring record, which is obviously not the best. Of course he scored loads of goals in Holland, but this was never the most important part of the game. He is a workhorse with quite good understanding of the game. In a supporting role he does quite well to get the best out of team mates imho. That's the diference to players like Kezman (or Huntelaar) who are foremost goal scorers and who indeed are liabilites when they don't score.

I was talking about people raving about his goal scoring prowess before he came to Liverpool? If Liverpool have signed Kuyt for his work ethos, fair enough. But Huntelaar doesn't strike me as a player who creates, either through endeavour or ingenuity, he's a finisher. That is something I don't think is a priority.

I think we need to focus on midfield and defence.

disagree with this planning malarkey, as I''ve always done.

Allardyce had all last summer, fat lot of good that did.

And his 2 best buys both came in on deadline day.

I reckon Keegan will want to watch the euro championships to see who he fancies there too, rather than rushing any other buys through beforehand.

I reckon Keegan will want to watch the euro championships to see who he fancies there too, rather than rushing any other buys through beforehand.

Generally speaking, I don't think you should judge players on these tournaments. There are exceptions though and Keegan has a good eye for a player so I'll abstain from this one.

Generally speaking, I don't think you should judge players on these tournaments. There are exceptions though and Keegan has a good eye for a player so I'll abstain from this one.

I agree in that so many 'players of the tournament' turn out to be overpriced and overrated. As you say though, KK has a great talent for spotting good players who can do a job for him. He's picked up a few in the past from summer tournaments too iirc - Albert and Hottiger spring to mind.

I agree in that so many 'players of the tournament' turn out to be overpriced and overrated. As you say though, KK has a great talent for spotting good players who can do a job for him. He's picked up a few in the past from summer tournaments too iirc - Albert and Hottiger spring to mind.

Guivarch', Poborsky are two players who had good tournaments then turned out pretty average.