Steven Taylor interview

Guest Sima

Face to Face: Steven Taylor

Sep 27 2005

By John Gibson, The Evening Chronicle

Emerging United star explains how his devotion to the Magpies means personal sacrifices are worth making.

Steven Taylor has bought a beautiful house in Tynemouth complete with indoor swimming pool and giant television.

He drives a sporty black BMW with tinted windows and a personalised number plate and has the brooding good looks of a male model.

He may not yet be out of his teens but when you're already a Premier League star it allows for such indulgence.

Taylor would to the discerning eye appear to have everything - at least Wayne Rooney has the decency to be ugly!

However, bachelor boy Taylor is giving up what is normally the most important thing in a young life - the reckless pursuit of enjoyment.

Because he's been born into an age where millionaire superstars are fair game for public dismantling, Taylor has deliberately decided the path upon which he'll tread. Even if it means great sacrifice.

"You're an ex-footballer for much longer than you're a player so I'm more than ready to give up a lot of things," he told me, flashing a Hollywood smile.

"I want a career and I want medals. I don't want people to say I've won nothing. I want to achieve everything I'm capable of and to have no regrets when I'm finished. That's worth some sort of sacrifice in the meantime.

"It's a choice and I've made it. And, no, I don't feel sorry for myself. No way, I'm lucky. It's just the way things are, the price that has to be paid.

"Footballers are now fair game. They live in a goldfish bowl and Newcastle is a big city where people talk. I have no wish to be on the front pages thank you. The sports pages will do for me."

That's where the massive television comes into play - and where girls don't.

"I love my soaps - EastEnders and Coronation Street," he admitted. "And I watch the X Factor on a Saturday night. I also watch a lot of DVDs and go out eating or playing pool with my mates."

Girls? "No, because there are too many kiss and tell stories. I don't need that. A few of the lads at Newcastle have been stitched up and it isn't nice. Most of them aren't like that but they have suffered publicly."

Taylor is not uncool nor some sort of goodie two shoes. It's just that in a world of massive exposure for those in the public eye he's no wish to be exploited.

How a cynical world has changed and not for the better. But how a club plagued by unsavoury headlines of players' late-night exploits must heave a sigh of relief over Taylor's attitude.

At one point the adverse publicity reached such proportions under Sir Bobby Robson that, together with results, it led to a change of manager with Graeme Souness brought in to crack down on indiscipline.

Taylor lives alone by choice. "I used to live at home but my parents moved to just outside of Morpeth and it was a long way in to training in the mornings," said Steven. "I was turning up tired some days so I bought a place of my own right among my mates - I was brought up at the coast - and within 15 minutes I'm at the training ground."

Maybe he no longer resides with mam and dad but they are almost daily visitors to his new abode.

"Mam cooks me some meals and also brings a load of ready-made ones," he laughs. "My George Foreman grill is the most important thing I have in the house. It does my beans on toast to perfection!

"My mates come round and often help with the cooking. They're top class - they've been pals since we were all at school.

"I can let my hair down a bit in the summer. I go on holiday with my mates at the end of May or in June."

Taylor has burst spectacularly onto the Premiership scene at St James' Park - a player with a touch of silk who is more than prepared to fight amongst the muck and nettles when it's required.

Steven Taylor

A centre-half by profession who has already embarked on an England career, he has in emergency played at both right-back and left-back for United to considerable effect.

To risk an untried kid in a position completely foreign to him may appear foolhardy but it was necessitated by a monstrous injury list.

"I'd never played a game of any sort at left-back until I was picked against Olympiakos," he said.

"Bobby Robson actually gave me my debut at right-back at Bolton and that was strange as well - I used to play on the right of three central defenders when Alan Irvine ran the under-17 side at Newcastle but that's the closest I'd ever come to a similar job.

"Bolton scored the winner after only five minutes with a ball from my side, if you remember, so I was determined to prove a few things to myself and the fans when the current gaffer picked me at No 2.

"Frankly I don't care where I play as long as I get into the first team but centre-half is my accepted position."

When Taylor limped out of the home game against Fulham a couple of weeks back after colliding with the post trying to prevent a goal, he was featured nationally on Match of the Day 2.

"They put together a compilation of my sending off against Aston Villa last season when I did my dying swan bit and me hitting the post that afternoon," he said sheepishly. "I looked a right poser!"

That Taylor is anything but is perhaps best portrayed by his conscious decision at the start of this season not to be elevated to the first team dressing-room.

"When we came back pre-season both myself and Charles N'Zogbia had a peg in the first-team dressing-room at Longbenton," explained Steven. "But we took our gear out and found space in the reserve team changing room. We just both felt we hadn't earned that right as yet. We were more comfortable with the players we'd been brought up alongside.

"Mind you, there are fewer and fewer players in the reserves with every year that passes. They've all been transferred. We almost have a room to ourselves now!"

Steven's biggest fan is his dad who travels everywhere, home and away, when he's playing. Taylor Snr was even in Germany recently to see his son score his first goal for England Under 21s and so qualify them for the European Championship play-offs.

Football is unquestionably Steven's life and a query about what he would have done had United not come a'calling is met with bewilderment as though the awful subject has never been broached.

"Oh, a dustbin man, that's right," he said with sudden conviction after a moment's silence. "I could never work in an office. I need to be outdoors. I stuck in at school but I wasn't the best. Yeah, I'd have been that man in the morning collecting your bins."

No swimming pool and snazzy attire there then. But at least he would have had a private life that was his own.

The Terminator means business

He's nicknamed Alan Shearer `The Terminator' after many confrontations on the training ground.

Alan Shearer, Newcastle United

Steven Taylor was a nine-year-old ball boy at St James' Park when he first saw Shearer close up leading out United. Now they are team-mates and, Taylor insists, Shearer is his guide and adviser.

"He's terrific, always ready with advice and a word of encouragement. He's done so much for me - he'll put himself out for all the young lads," said Steven.

"Alan commands so much respect from every player. He's a real leader, a man who when he has his say in the dressing-room everyone listens. Definitely management material if he wants to be. He's made a load of big decisions throughout his career and all have proved to be right.

"I was nine-year-old when I first got near him. Now I'm a team-mate - amazing isn't it?

"Shearer and Les Ferdinand were the big-name strikers when I was a ball boy but I actually had more to do with the keepers Pavel Srnicek and Shaka Hislop.

"I used to be ball boy behind the goal at the John Hall Stand end because my dad had a season ticket there. I would run on at the end and ask them for their gloves - but I never got a pair!"

Taylor is often pitted against Shearer on the practice pitch and that's where the friendliness ends.

"I call him The Terminator because he's so hard. Like granite. Nothing seems to hurt him. He's built like the side of a house and he dishes plenty out.

"But that's great, the way I want it. Shola is also physical and Michael Owen is so quick. There's plenty to face day in and day out to help me polish my game.

"I used to hate to see Owen's name on the team sheet against Newcastle because he always scored. I'd certainly prefer to play with him than against."

Mention of quick and Taylor believes United have a new super sprinter ready to unveil in the near future - a left-winger called Alan O'Brien who sneaked on to the subs' bench at Blackburn.

"He's the fastest player I've ever played alongside," Steven told me. "He'd even outdo Craig Bellamy."

Dressing room was like a red light zone

Steven Taylor, aggressive and determined to be a winner, has twice been famously red-carded on first-team duty.

"Graeme Souness told me very early on never to turn my back on a tackle and the supporters would love me. I've lived by that," admitted Steven.

"He was a tough player himself but a good one and he knows what's required. I remember just after he arrived he said in a loud voice to Tommy Craig `That lad looks a player but is he one?' I was determined to show him.

"It's the job of a central defender to get amongst it and that'll inevitably bring yellow cards. No doubt about it."

However, Steven received his first red in a notorious match against Aston Villa last season not for an act of violence but for handling the ball to try and prevent a goal.

"I went down back arched as if shot by a sniper because I heard the whistle and saw the ref running up. I was desperately trying to pretend the ball had hit me in the face but no deal. All I did was appear stupid.

"I was sitting alone in the dressing-room feeling totally gutted when the door banged open and in walked Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer.

"I thought one had got a red for a tackle and the other for dissent or something. I never guessed for one moment they had been fighting one another!"

Taylor's other senior red card was delivered in United's last away game at Blackburn when Craig Bellamy played a significant part in encouraging the referee to flourish a second yellow with inevitable consequences after the slightest of touches on his shirt.

"I fully accept the first yellow but felt the second was harsh," maintained Taylor. "Players will always talk to the referees, even before kick-off sometimes, saying things like `Watch Taylor.' It would be naive to expect everyone to play within the confines of sportsmanship.

"Of course Bellers yaps on all the time but the most important things in the end were that we got three points at last, Alan Shearer and Michael Owen scored, and we kept a clean sheet. What happened to me was the least important team wise."

Joining the Adams family

Tony Adams was Steven Taylor's hero when still a boy. Now the centre-half he most admires is Chelsea's John Terry.

"Tony Adams was my idol as a lad - I still have all his DVDs and the like," admitted Taylor.

"It was incredible that when Adams was manager of Wycombe Wanderers for a short time he took me on loan. To work with him after hero worshipping him was weird but terrific. He really helped me.

"I wanted to stay longer than a month - for the rest of the season to be exact - but Newcastle had injuries and Bobby Robson wanted me back up here."

Now as Taylor has blossomed into a composed, assured central defender himself, the man he admires and wishes to emulate is Terry.

"The way he's improved over the last two years is phenomenal," said Steven. "He was voted into the World XI recently and that's bang on. He has such presence and is such an organiser. And he scores goals at set-pieces.

"I've played against him a couple of times and he's quality - just like the whole Chelsea team."

Young sprog Taylor was kept at Bay

When Steven Taylor was still knee high to a corner flag he couldn't even get a game for Whitley Bay Boys' Club.

Hardly a future Newcastle United and England star eh? But true nonetheless.

"I couldn't get a game for a whole season as an eight-year-old so I left and went to Cramlington Juniors where in my first training session I was picked up by a Newcastle scout," said Taylor.

"After one training stint with John Carver he decided to sign me and I've been here ever since. It's incredible really because of my age group who joined United I'm the only one left."

Steven was in those formative days a centre-forward which has moulded his thinking after a career switch took him to centre-half.

"I knew how a centre-forward thought and where he'd go," smiled Taylor.

"I played up front until I was about 13 - all kids fancy the glory of scoring goals don't they - but I found I was much more comfortable at centre-half.

"I only played there for one game when we were short of defenders and the guy in charge, Vince Hutton, moved me to the back. I've been there ever since."

Love the bit about him having "model like looks". Aye compared to you John :D

Good read that like. I'm looking forward to seeing Alan Obrien.

39915[/snapback]

Yeah, i'm hoping he has some ability, technique and control because if he has, combined with pace like that he could be a genuine threat. Anybody who is described in the same pace bracket as Bellamy is somebody i want to see play so hopefully he has other things to his game as well.

Interesting to say he wants medals.

Not here Steven :D

39943[/snapback]

There's optimism for you.....

tbh

40040[/snapback]

I think he is telling us all good and early that he wont be staying here if things don't go according to plan.

But, with Chewsee in the position they're in, there wont be many alternatives for somewhere to go to win something!

39943[/snapback]

tbh

40040[/snapback]

We haven't won anything domestically in 50 years, why start now?

39943[/snapback]

tbh

40040[/snapback]

We haven't won anything domestically in 50 years, why start now?

40078[/snapback]

He's got a point to be fair. If I wanted medals, NUFC wouldn't be the obvious choice.

When we came back pre-season both myself and Charles N'Zogbia had a peg in the first-team dressing-room at Longbenton, but we took our gear out and found space in the reserve team changing room. We just both felt we hadn't earned that right as yet. We were more comfortable with the players we'd been brought up alongside.

:D

Surely almost unheard of amongst modern day Premiership blingballers.

Nice to see he seems to have the right attitude and can hopefully avoid the lure the Bling Brigade. Saw him out having a meal not so long ago and he seemed like a nice bloke - quiet, polite and unassuming. Makes a change after some of the antics we put up with from the others. Good luck to him.

What a boring twat eh?

40136[/snapback]

A year in the first team and no rape allegations/threesomes/visits from the fuzz. Acceptable or not? :D

Worrying that he compares playing for Newcastle to being in a goldfish bowl. We all know what happened to our last fish!