Students

Guest alex

hey spend their entire day faffing about on t'interweb casting calumnies about those of us who went to Uni.

Having been a student I've first-hand knowledge of what it's like....

38 hours a day?? Think you need to start picking up a book amd learning something GF - obviously spent far too much time in the union bar!

Expend more effort at Uni than you have done anywhere else?? Fuck me, you're in for one big shock... ;)

BTW - what are josticks?? ;)

43700[/snapback]

The work I did at university was the most intellectually challenging I've ever faced. I worked throughout my time at university and I'm working full time now and it doesn't compare. It's tiring and hard work, just very different altogether. Certainly not more difficult, but more taxing (and not just the fact I have to pay tax now!)

43816[/snapback]

Depends what job you end up doing really though doesn't it (and this is by no means a slight on what you are doing, as I don't even know what that is). I know my first 3 years in my training contract to be a chartered accountant were fucking horrendous and the exams were on a whole different level of difficulty to anything I'd ever faced before - added to the fact that you were working full time whilst trying to study for the exams. University in comparison was an absolute doddle and as much as I get to piss around on here a bit during the day, I'd sharp swap lying in til lunchtime for what I do now.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey spend their entire day faffing about on t'interweb casting calumnies about those of us who went to Uni.

38 hours a day?? Think you need to start picking up a book amd learning something GF - obviously spent far too much time in the union bar!

Expend more effort at Uni than you have done anywhere else?? Fuck me, you're in for one big shock... ;)

43700[/snapback]

The work I did at university was the most intellectually challenging I've ever faced. I worked throughout my time at university and I'm working full time now and it doesn't compare. It's tiring and hard work, just very different altogether. Certainly not more difficult, but more taxing (and not just the fact I have to pay tax now!)

43816[/snapback]

Depends what job you end up doing really though doesn't it (and this is by no means a slight on what you are doing, as I don't even know what that is). I know my first 3 years in my training contract to be a chartered accountant were fucking horrendous and the exams were on a whole different level of difficulty to anything I'd ever faced before - added to the fact that you were working full time whilst trying to study for the exams. University in comparison was an absolute doddle and as much as I get to piss around on here a bit during the day, I'd sharp swap lying in til lunchtime for what I do now.

43891[/snapback]

Absolutely my point....

The work I do is split between IT development and support. They send you on a course to learn a language for example and you feel pressured on your return to apply what you've learned somewhere otherwise you'll easily forget it. On top of this, you're expected to provide the same level of support to the business which ate up most of your time during the day as it was.

I'm not saying it's the same for everyone, but as Gemmill said, University as an absolute doddle by comparison - you learned a module and once you got your mark, you moved onto the next one.

To say that I 'piss around on the internet all day' is frankly insulting. Developing this place is part play and part work as I am now the support resource for the php stuff at work.

To say that I 'piss around on the internet all day' is frankly insulting. Developing this place is part play and part work as I am now the support resource for the php stuff at work.

43907[/snapback]

;)

So a necessary evil that you just have to tolerate eh? ;):blush:

43700[/snapback]

43816[/snapback]

43891[/snapback]

Oh, completely, it just depends on what you're doing really. Your training was an extension of university with a job chucked in too, by the sounds of it, which isn't necessarily what most graduates end up doing. I just meant that university and the working world require different skills. If you take university seriously, it can be hard work, it depends on whether you want to do the bare minimum.

I guess I was just trying to find a middle ground between university = piece of piss and the working world = very difficult, incredibly hard work. I do miss my lie ins and being able to work when it suited me, but I don't miss being skint and having a week to read a vast array of books and cobble something together, showing how well I understand it and exams. Working in local government, where most of the people I come across are graduates, they don't exactly have to kill themselves with work and earn decent money.

43916[/snapback]

What do you do Bridget, if you don't mind me asking? I thought you were still at Uni?

Personally I found doing a PhD probably the hardest thing I have done. You are in a kind of 'No man's land' between work and being a student. You are still officially a student, but sometimes have to work 7 day weeks, 12 hours a day. Add in the fact you may not get any meaningful results for months or even years on end, and it is enough to drive anyone insane, which has obvioulsy happened to me. :blush:

My work now in comparison is really qute easy and for the most part actually quite satisfying. As long as I get my work quota done, which I do, I have a free reign to piss about on the internet all day and work from home if I want to. Not bad really, plus I have some money.

frankly I can't undewrstand the anti-student sentiment. There are arseholes that are students, but they'd be arseholes whether they were students, fishermen or farmers.

The work I do here is far more challenging and stretching than anything I've done outside of study. Of course it may not be directly applicable in the world of work, but studying for a degree cannot surely be simply measured on the subject of study, it's also the effort and application, meeting deadlines etc. etc.

p.s. Renton, my spelling may be poor at times, but I assure you that it's more likely my fingetrs have let me down, rather than any real inability to spell the word... or it's a word I rarely come across, like Joss Sticks... I wouldn't know one if it licked my nutsack. It along with the 38hrs a day jibe was obviously for effect rather than anything else.

but if we're still beating on students that's fine, as I've said before, I'd rather 20 knobhead students than 20 knobhead chavs

If there's one thing worse than your average student, it's a student that tries to tell you how hard they're working and how challenging it all is. We've all been there man, and we know it's a piece of piss. :)

Working in local government, where most of the people I come across are graduates, they don't exactly have to kill themselves with work and earn decent money.

43916[/snapback]

Slander! Don't make me get out of my hammock to find you!

frankly I can't undewrstand the anti-student sentiment. There are arseholes that are students, but they'd be arseholes whether they were students, fishermen or farmers.

The work I do here is far more challenging and stretching than anything I've done outside of study. Of course it may not be directly applicable in the world of work, but studying for a degree cannot surely be simply measured on the subject of study, it's also the effort and application, meeting deadlines etc. etc.

p.s. Renton, my spelling may be poor at times, but I assure you that it's more likely my fingetrs have let me down, rather than any real inability to spell the word... or it's a word I rarely come across, like Joss Sticks... I wouldn't know one if it licked my nutsack. It along with the 38hrs a day jibe was obviously for effect rather than anything else.

but if we're still beating on students that's fine, as I've said before, I'd rather 20 knobhead students than 20 knobhead chavs

44468[/snapback]

I agree with you GF, I think you are taking this too literally - don't forget it was started initially as a wind up from Alex. Anyway, most on this board were once students, even if they seem to have forgotten it. I was one for ten years. :)

Give me a student over a charver any day of the week. Those little pikey bastards wind me up every day of the week. :)

Working in local government, where most of the people I come across are graduates, they don't exactly have to kill themselves with work and earn decent money.

43916[/snapback]

44475[/snapback]

I have known people in local government getting paid a lot of money for doing fuck all - it's an outrage!

44468[/snapback]

Given the choice, I'd prefer neither. Both seem to be in abundance though :)

If there's one thing worse than your average student, it's a student that tries to tell you how hard they're working and how challenging it all is.  We've all been there man, and we know it's a piece of piss. :)

44474[/snapback]

Student life is an absolute ball-ache once a year come exam time. Apart from that, providing you manage your time well then theres nobody can claim its particularly hard work.

I exclude medical students from that (admittedly huge) generalisation, but thats about it.....and by and large medical students make up for that by being complete arseholes! :)

43916[/snapback]

44475[/snapback]

I have known people in local government getting paid a lot of money for doing fuck all - it's an outrage!

44477[/snapback]

I'm outraged by that comment, so outraged in fact that I spilt my champagne bottle over and have now had to stop playing darts to respond.

If there's one thing worse than your average student, it's a student that tries to tell you how hard they're working and how challenging it all is.  We've all been there man, and we know it's a piece of piss. :)

44474[/snapback]

Student life is an absolute ball-ache once a year come exam time. Apart from that, providing you manage your time well then theres nobody can claim its particularly hard work.

I exclude medical students from that (admittedly huge) generalisation, but thats about it.....and by and large medical students make up for that by being complete arseholes! :)

44480[/snapback]

Never a truer word said - them and law students.

44474[/snapback]

44480[/snapback]

44484[/snapback]

Law students are definitely up there too. Medical students are in a league of their own mind.

44474[/snapback]

44480[/snapback]

44484[/snapback]

Law students are definitely up there too. Medical students are in a league of their own mind.

44485[/snapback]

I've been to dinner at the Inns of court in London. Barristers are complete and utter pricks, comparable to the worst medics, I'm sure you agree!

Mind I have certainly known a few medical student kernts in my time.

44474[/snapback]

44480[/snapback]

44484[/snapback]

44485[/snapback]

I've been to dinner at the Inns of court in London. Barristers are complete and utter pricks, comparable to the worst medics, I'm sure you agree!

44486[/snapback]

Barristers, by and large are a bunch of complete fucking pricks. Not every last one of them, but certainly a critical mass.

As for medics, the bizarre and distinguishing thing about them though is that they seem to reach that level of pomposity before they've even qualified. In fact they typically reach it on the first day of their degree, having acquired zero medical expertise at all to speak of. In fact scratch that, they're more than half way there when theyre doing their A Levels.

44474[/snapback]

44480[/snapback]

44484[/snapback]

44485[/snapback]

44486[/snapback]

Law students are a pest all over the world. That's why I am for the (re)introduction of birching at universities...

Not many Law Students make it to barrister like.

44489[/snapback]

Bizarrely, barristers are actually 'qualified' by their professional body before they've even done their vocational 'on the job training'. Theres moves to end that as it happens, because it's been acknowledged that it's churning out a load of crap 'barristers'

It still makes me laugh how many people think that you've got to become a solicitor before 'going on' to qualify as a barrister. :)

44489[/snapback]

It's not that hard to become a barrister - you have to pay your own outrageous fees to do the bar, after all.

But once your qualified you can just about forget about getting a job if your not part of the old boy's network - basically if you didn't go to RGS (or equivalent) you are fucked. Its not about ability, but who you are and who you know.

Manc-mag - spot on about the pomposity of medical students, I know this from experience.

44489[/snapback]

It's not that hard to become a barrister - you have to pay your own outrageous fees to do the bar, after all.

But once your qualified you can just about forget about getting a job if your not part of the old boy's network - basically if you didn't go to RGS (or equivalent) you are fucked. Its not about ability, but who you are and who you know.

Manc-mag - spot on about the pomposity of medical students, I know this from experience.

44496[/snapback]

And, consequently not many law students become barristers. We're agreeing right? :)

:)

44489[/snapback]

44496[/snapback]

Thats the fundemental difference between the two branches of the profession. Thats not to say that there arent any eminently capable barristers because there are some incredible intellects/advocates out there, but it doesnt get away from the fact that that is still second to having decent contacts in the profession.

The same applies to many aspects of the solicitors branch too though, I have to concede.

44489[/snapback]

44496[/snapback]

And, consequently not many law students become barristers. We're agreeing right? :yes

44498[/snapback]

Actually, I was suggesting there a lot of unemployed barristers. :)

44489[/snapback]

44496[/snapback]

And, consequently not many law students become barristers. We're agreeing right? :)

44498[/snapback]

I'm not entirely sure.

We all seem to be in agreement that GF's a complete scrounger, like.

44489[/snapback]

44496[/snapback]

And, consequently not many law students become barristers. We're agreeing right? <_<

44498[/snapback]

Actually, I was suggesting there a lot of unemployed barristers. :yes

44500[/snapback]

Ah, I was worried for a minute there. :)

Edited by alex