Players you wish we had signed?

Scottish Mag

Are there any players who over the last decade you wish we had signed and believe they would have made a difference to our team?

When I say this I am of course talking about realistic players taking into account where we were in the league and what our budget was at the time, not your Ronaldos etc

Whilst neither were world beaters I always thought we should have went for Southgate and Ehiogu when they both signed for Boro. They were better than the likes of Dabizas and O'Brien and were well within our budget and having played together at Villa worked well as a partnership.

Darrent Bent instead of Ambrose

Carrick for a couple of mill off West Ham

Anelka instead of Owen (half price)

Sol Campbell off Arsenal

David Bentley off Arsenal

Benni McCarthy for a couple mill, ditto Santa Cruz

probably many more that escape me but we could well have had all the above players and could still be in UEFA at least, oh well =/

Edited by bassplayerjj

Good topic mate.

Peter Schmiechel or Brad Friegel

Cantona is always the one they bang on about winning the title for Manu, and i'm not saying he did nowt! But Scmiechel saved them so many points on numerous occasions and when we played them off the park at St. James he was the sole reason we didnt give them the hammering we should have. Best keeper i've ever seen by a good distance.

As for signings we should have made, when keegan bought Asprilla he should have got Zola (and i think he'd have been cheaper) or Bergkamp, those two players scored and made shitloads of goals and delivered week in week out, Asprilla was entertaining to watch sometimes, but outside of europe delivered little in the prem.

Good topic mate.

Cantona is always the one they bang on about winning the title for Manu, and i'm not saying he did nowt! But Scmiechel saved them so many points on numerous occasions and when we played them off the park at St. James he was the sole reason we didnt give them the hammering we should have. Best keeper i've ever seen by a good distance.

As for signings we should have made, when keegan bought Asprilla he should have got Zola (and i think he'd have been cheaper) or Bergkamp, those two players scored and made shitloads of goals and delivered week in week out, Asprilla was entertaining to watch sometimes, but outside of europe delivered little in the prem.

agree, but I'm thinking more along the lines of we had them signed up but lost the 2 of them for different reasons.

Nowt against Pav or Shaka but in comparison to those 2, one of them would have gained us those extra points to win the title IMO

Completely agree about getting Zola instead of Arsprilla, complete no brainer that one.

Good topic mate.

agree, but I'm thinking more along the lines of we had them signed up but lost the 2 of them for different reasons.

Nowt against Pav or Shaka but in comparison to those 2, one of them would have gained us those extra points to win the title IMO

Completely agree about getting Zola instead of Arsprilla, complete no brainer that one.

TBF, not getting Friedel was no fault of ours; he was unable to get a work permit. Unlike the pass we took on Schiechal, this one was not a lapse in judgment.

Good topic mate.

TBF, not getting Friedel was no fault of ours; he was unable to get a work permit. Unlike the pass we took on Schiechal, this one was not a lapse in judgment.

I know.

Either would have done I think

Hyypia was the first one that came to my mind. Also wasn't Sir Bobby interested in Gallas and Terry when Chelsea were in financial shit just before Abramovich arrived?

Aye, we tried to get Terry but were knocked back.

Good topic mate.

I always thought Pav was fucking shit.

Hyypia was the first one that came to my mind. Also wasn't Sir Bobby interested in Gallas and Terry when Chelsea were in financial shit just before Abramovich arrived?

Did they? I thought we were very close to signing him and he changed his mind at the last minute or we went for someone else. I can't remember the details.

Did they? I thought we were very close to signing him and he changed his mind at the last minute or we went for someone else. I can't remember the details.

Bobby said in his column in FourFourTwo how they rejected it flat.