the weekly hang em flog em debate

sweetleftpeg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely clueless but no-more so than his predecessor who surely only had the job because of his name...

McKeag's main problem was that he was the sitting chairman when SJH attempted his take-over. Being the opposition to the man who was effectively offering to throw money at the club is never going to win many fans over.

I was no fan of his but RIP all the same..

I rang my dad who's threatened to get the champagne out later. He then reckoned he was joking like.

Saying that, I remember the plod being absolute bastards at the match in the late 80's, ejecting a fair few at the back of the Milburn where I sat for anything deemed 'anti-board'. For awhile our favourite chant was 'Leave him alone! He's done fuck all!'

Massive lugs like.

41320[/snapback]

Big hooter an' aal.

41330[/snapback]

:lol:

You doing the coffin measurements on behalf of the undertaker or something?? :blink:

Massive lugs like.

41320[/snapback]

Big hooter an' aal.

41330[/snapback]

:lol:

You doing the coffin measurements on behalf of the undertaker or something?? :blink:

41346[/snapback]

I've got nowt nice to say about him but I don't want to diss him too much seeing as he's brown bread.

I think .com summed him up in saying he was a true fan - just like Stan Seymour, but he was also completely out of his depth and his time which led to people disliking him (me included at the time).

I don't think his death warrants a celebration by any stretch.

I'll say one thing for him, he never had a season ticket for Roker Park unlike one of his successors. Surname rhymes with ball...

41360[/snapback]

I forgot about that.

Aye, guilty of losing the plot but nowt else really. Although Brian Johnson tells a good story about how Jackie Milburn asked him to meet the board as they were interested in him investing in the club. He said the board, especially McKeag (who I don't think was chairman at the time) were aloof and totally out of touch and he told them to stuff their money.

We were on a Highway to Hell at that point.

Tell you what I've just been thinking before, going to the match back then when McKeag was in charge. Not that long ago, but the whole days experience is unrecogniseable to what it is now.

Not all bad by any means like, you could stand and pay on the day.

Aye, guilty of losing the plot but nowt else really. Although Brian Johnson tells a good story about how Jackie Milburn asked him to meet the board as they were interested in him investing in the club. He said the board, especially McKeag (who I don't think was chairman at the time) were aloof and totally out of touch and he told them to stuff their money.

41362[/snapback]

I think Brian Johnson said he was basically offered the world's most expensive season ticket.

I don't think his death warrants a celebration by any stretch.

41357[/snapback]

That being said, if the club do find it within themselves to give him a minute's silence before the Sunderland game (lets face it, they will), for fuck's sake don't let us make complete tits of ourselves by not respecting it...

We didn't like him as chairman, agreed but that's all in the past. Not worth us making a point about it now...

41362[/snapback]

I think Brian Johnson said he was basically offered the world's most expensive season ticket.

41364[/snapback]

Aye, they wanted his money, but he could have no say in how the club was run. As you can imagine, this pissed him off somewhat. :lol:

Alberto makes an excellent point and one we were discussing before the match last season. The day out, win, lose or draw was better. However, the toilets and a few other things were not.

He was a Geordie so RIP.

End of, nowt more, nowt less.

However saying that, as SLP pointed out the place was a shithole back then, so cheers Gordon for making me stand and piss against a wall (allegedly a toilet) at the back of the Gallowgate while all sorts of shite was being thrown over the top from the scoreboard :lol:

Completely clueless but no-more so than his predecessor who surely only had the job because of his name...

McKeag's main problem was that he was the sitting chairman when SJH attempted his take-over. Being the opposition to the man who was effectively offering to throw money at the club is never going to win many fans over.

I was no fan of his but RIP all the same..

41317[/snapback]

Agree, nice man I'm sure and condolences to his family but was the last in a long line of board members and chairmen who kept us down from where we should have been for over 30 years.

Edited by LeazesMag

My Dad knew him on a professional level (he actually knew his brother Clive (no, not that Clive) better) as he was a building society manager in Gosforth and McKeags were the solicitors they used if they were ever needed.

My Dad's view was that he was a nice bloke who was actually a passionate fan of the team but was 'antiquated' in his views on managing the place.

The complete contrast of Shepherd who seems a bit of an arse, but does actually know what he's doing.

41478[/snapback]

Agree with this too.

Those who complain about Shepherd being a shit chairman who runs the club like a corner shop .............

The complete contrast of Shepherd who seems a bit of an arse, but does actually know what he's doing.

41478[/snapback]

Agree with this too.

Those who complain about Shepherd being a shit chairman who runs the club like a corner shop .............

41487[/snapback]

not like a corner shop but more like its his pension fund

not like a corner shop but more like its his pension fund

41498[/snapback]

What? Spending nigh on £50m this year not enough for you?