the weekly hang em flog em debate

sweetleftpeg

He may have been a canny bloke I dont know.

My Dad loathed him with an unbeleivable passion. Leazesmags views on Souness look like a love in compared to the vitriol that eminated from Toonpants senior. Out of respect I cant repeat anything he said.

but

As a percentage of revenue you can be absolutely certain sure Mckeag took more out than anybody who followed. Huge crowds, routinely underreported, I can remember crowds regularly being 10000 lower in the paper than people estimated were there. Not a penny spent on the ground, any decent players flogged on at the first opportunity.

Deserves a minutes silence as much as the pope and the queen mother.

I would respect a minutes silence but I would be thinking about the how he brought our club to the brink of extinction.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard he was a decent bloke on a personal level and a true fan blah de blah de blah, but my God, he was a bloody awful chairman who almost ruined us.

Can't say I feel particularly saddened nor pleased.

I loathed the man and everything he did and stood for at SJP

He was so blinkered it was untrue

he believed that he and his cronnies had a God given right to run the club forever WHATEVER THE RESULTS WERE

The club had big gates in those days but he never put a single penny into the club. The ground was a disgrace

He was a rotten snob and rather than agree anything with the Council he ensured that no World Cup games were played at SJP in 1966

I will raise a glass to the fact he's gone tonight - pity it didn't happen 40 years ago..................................

he believed that he and his cronnies had a God given right to run the club forever WHATEVER THE RESULTS WERE 

The club had big gates in those days but he never put a single penny into the club.  The ground was a disgrace

He was a rotten snob and rather than agree anything with the Council he ensured that no World Cup games were played at SJP in 1966

I will raise a glass to the fact he's gone tonight - pity it didn't happen 40 years ago..................................

41726[/snapback]

Agreed.

Hid did pull the balls out of the velvet bag well though during the FA Cup draws!

He may have been a canny bloke I dont know.

My Dad loathed him with an unbeleivable passion. Leazesmags views on Souness look like a love in compared to the vitriol that eminated from Toonpants senior. Out of respect I cant repeat anything he said.

but

As a percentage of revenue you can be absolutely certain sure Mckeag took more out than anybody who followed. Huge crowds, routinely underreported, I can remember crowds regularly being 10000 lower in the paper than people estimated were there. Not a penny spent on the ground, any decent players flogged on at the first opportunity.

Deserves a minutes silence as much as the pope and the queen mother.

I would respect a minutes silence but I would be thinking about the how he brought our club to the brink of extinction.

41548[/snapback]

He'll be roasting in the lower circles of hell by now. Even God with his Man U shirt on will stick him in the 7th pit (Fraudulent thieves)

You can tell I've been having a peek at Dante's Devine comedy, cant you ? :lol:

Edited by Phil K

The club had big gates in those days but he never put a single penny into the club.  The ground was a disgrace

41726[/snapback]

but he didn't break any laws... such feeling ..... not your usual laid back attitude that you have about other things Rob ....

Edited by LeazesMag

41726[/snapback]

Every real Newcastle United Supporter will echo the above. One of the real reasons we have won nowt since 1955 the Fairs cup was a fluke.

41726[/snapback]

Every real Newcastle United Supporter will echo the above. One of the real reasons we have won nowt since 1955 the Fairs cup was a fluke.

41842[/snapback]

I agree too, but

I am trying, with difficulty to show respect for a man who has passed away, and

I am finding it difficult to comprehend Robs attitude...or maybe it's as I suspected all along.....he is laid back about kids standing on street corners, muggers, national service as a remedy etc, because basically he doesn't give a toss about them as they don't live next door or the same street as him, you know, I'm all right Jack so theres no problem......whereas if a problem is closer to home.......

naaaa - too many years of my life spent on the blasted wastes of the old Gallowagate end (and my dad and my grandad and ...) watching rubbish while McKeag and his cronies lived it up in the Directors box, totally without any ambition to do anything with the club except keep HIS perks and HIS position intact and sod everyone else

God knows I don't like FFS but he's both Roman Abramovitch and Mother Teresa compared to that git Mckeag

Seperate issue

"I am finding it difficult to comprehend Robs attitude...or maybe it's as I suspected all along.....he is laid back about kids standing on street corners, muggers, national service as a remedy etc, because basically he doesn't give a toss about them as they don't live next door or the same street as him, you know, I'm all right Jack so theres no problem......whereas if a problem is closer to home......."

as I have stated many times I am very concerned about crimes and criminality - but I've been around long enough to know that simple Daily Mail type solutions don't work

We have been banging up more and more people all through my lifetime and it has no little or no effect on the crime rate.

People on here talk about things like respect or behaving within the law - they're the same people who boast about spending half their life on the lash and go mad when you suggest that illegal downloading is wrong or that they shouldn't break the speed limit just when anywhere THEY decide

They watch violent movies and listen to rap music which is full of violent imagery and treats women like toys. They buy the Sun and "lads mags" to look at naked women and say "so what" - and then wonder why cases of rape, assualt and abuse are up......................

The worrying thing is that they can't connect the lives they lead with the decline in what was known as society.

As for where I live - I have mates who have been inside and I've lived in some pretty rough areas - but times WERE tougher 40-50 years ago . I have not "pulled up the drawbridge" either physically or mentally - but it's not easy to solve - whatever you think

And as for bloody McKeag - he was a classic case of a Gosforth snob............

naaaa - too many years of my life spent on the blasted wastes of the old Gallowagate end (and my dad and my grandad and ...) watching rubbish while  McKeag and his cronies lived it up in the Directors box, totally without any ambition to do anything with the club except keep HIS perks and HIS position intact and sod everyone else

God knows I don't like FFS but he's both  Roman Abramovitch and Mother Teresa compared to that git Mckeag

41865[/snapback]

I agree with the argument however "that git McKeag" was an old man who has now passed away, as any part of NUFC history we should respect him, not shed crocodile tears at his death but at least show some level of respect and decorum for what is, ultimately a dead NUFC fan and a part of the history that makes this club what it is today.

Seperate issue

"I am finding it difficult to comprehend Robs attitude...or maybe it's as I suspected all along.....he is laid back about kids standing on street corners, muggers, national service as a remedy etc, because basically he doesn't give a toss about them as they don't live next door or the same street as him, you know, I'm all right Jack so theres no problem......whereas if a problem is closer to home......."

as I have stated many times I am very concerned about crimes and criminality - but I've been around long enough to know that simple Daily Mail type solutions don't work

We have been banging up more and more people all through my lifetime and it has no little or no effect on the crime rate. 

People on here talk about things like respect or behaving within the law - they're the same people who boast about spending half their life on the lash and go mad when you suggest that illegal downloading is wrong or that they shouldn't break the speed limit just when anywhere THEY decide

They watch violent movies and listen to rap music which is full of violent imagery and treats women like toys.  They buy the Sun and "lads mags" to look at naked women and say "so what" - and then wonder why cases of rape, assualt and abuse are up......................

The worrying thing is that they can't connect the lives they lead with the decline in what was known as society.

As for where I live - I have mates who have been inside and I've lived in some pretty rough areas - but times WERE tougher 40-50 years ago .  I have not "pulled up the drawbridge" either physically or mentally - but it's not easy to solve - whatever you think

And as for bloody McKeag - he was a classic case of a Gosforth snob............

41870[/snapback]

interesting points mate, and I'm not trying to draw this out, and I don't read the Daily Mail myself - but am curious to what you think solutions could be. Lets face it, you and I, we are two of the older posters on here.

Personally, I download music, or did, but not so much now because I more or less have most music I wanted in my collection which is quite vast, I downloaded songs, bootlegs, rare copies of things etc which are mostly unobtainable now etc etc, and made up compilations of songs etc which i already have in album format as CD's for convenience. Maybe you consider this to be not much of an excuse, but you could also take the view that the record industry ripped us off for years ie lifting tracks off albums and putting out a b side which wasn't on the album to get you to buy the single, and the same scenario the other way round, ie putting the single out first then putting the same 2 tracks on the album. Along with the sheer cost of CD's, which compared to other places in the world, is simply extortionate in the UK.

I like violent movies [sometimes] but hate rap music, which I totally agree is stomach churning, chanting rubbish.

I don't spend half my life on the lash, but like to go out, and know when to stop, I am very rarely pissed.

And yet, I'm no criminal, I'm totally law biding, help old ladies over the road, will have a laugh with anyone, even people on this forum I disagree with. People are different in real life to these message boards, having met lads before I am sure that everyone on here are law abiding decent fairly normal blokes too.

I think that when you get to the age we are, and others like PL, things like street violence, respect for others etc concerns you a lot more, you have kids, daughters etc you worry about them, you also worry about your own parents as they get older. I do anyway. I can't agree that it hasn't increased in the last few decades, it surely has, and the nastiness of it has worsened too. And there are reasons why it has increased, which, unless things are done, can only continue increasing.

Canny debate though. However, what would be your solutions anyway to help ?

I agree with you about McKeag BTW, I just didn't want to sound offensive towards a dead man but hey you said what I and others I suspect were thinking.

Edited by LeazesMag

If I had any solutions I'd be in politics.............

I think we need to decriminalise drugs ASAP - we (well not me) pour money into the hands of criminals and create a vast criminal class that carries out a lot of minor (and sometimes major) crime

If we made publicans responsible for letting people get completely blasted in their bars (as they do in Norway) we'd cut down on a lot of bad behaviour and anti social behaviour (in public anyway)

We need to step up the effort to halt teenage pregnacies

Zero tolerance on anti social behaviour

Poke out all those coppers sitting in offices and get them out and about - and not in cars

Cut the time people spend in jail but make sure they get decent training and education when they're inside

Teachers should be able to use reasonable discipline in schools without being sued

Tougher rules on things like incapacity benifit

More and more decent nursery schools

More effort to get people into jobs - especially when they leave school - NO-ONE should go straight from school to the dole

If I had any solutions I'd be in politics.............

I think we need to decriminalise drugs ASAP - we (well not me) pour money into the hands of  criminals and create a vast criminal class that carries out a lot of minor (and sometimes major) crime

totally agree, absolutely

If we made publicans responsible for letting people get completely blasted in their bars (as they do in Norway) we'd cut down on a lot of bad behaviour and anti social behaviour (in public anyway)

Fair point

We need to step up the effort to halt teenage pregnacies

by more sex education ? By raising the age of consent ? Or by prescribing the pill to more girls than now ..

Zero tolerance on anti social behaviour

with you here, zero tolerance on a fair amount of things I would say

Poke out all those coppers sitting in offices and get them out and about - and not in cars

spot on

Cut the time people spend in jail but make sure they get decent training and education when they're inside

All the measures above would create a demand for more prisons though. So that would have to be a priority. I also think that making the punishment fit the crime in lots of cases is appropriate, judge the crime on its merits. I realise the answer lies in better education and quality of life, but surely the best solution is to try to educate them and stop them getting into trouble in the first place. For me, once they have done something to deserve to be locked up, then we should make sure they learn the error of their ways .....

Teachers should be able to use reasonable discipline in schools without being sued

Trouble with this is parents though. Isn't it amazing how many parents run up to school and castigate teachers for trying to discipline their kids, then are probably the same ones who either can't be arsed to discipline their kids themselves, or proudly boast to other parents that they are happy to allow teachers to take actions as they see fit.

Tougher rules on things like incapacity benifit

Too many benefits. You can understand how genuine cases can lose out if rules are tightened but you are right there has to be a cut off point somewhere.

More and more decent nursery schools

All politicians promise this, but what they mean is you have to pay, and sometimes when it means the mother works her pay is not enough to make it worthwhile. A worthy source of government funding without a doubt.

More effort to get people into jobs - especially when they leave school - NO-ONE should go straight from school to the dole

42005[/snapback]

Wierd this. When I left school, the school I went always seemed to get someone a job before they left, they prided themselves on it. However I know lads who have had school leavers under their wing teaching them skills etc and they all seem to say now that the kids are pretty useless and have no responsibility.

Seperate issue

41870[/snapback]

Have they been tried ?

Much as I hate the Daily Mail, this mentality doesn't wash. We have been dealing with the shit-brained turds that vandalise and act aggressively to anyone who even looks at them and most often you don't even need to do THAT - even knives are common now. These creatures have been dealt with in the politically correct manner by people who sneer at the "Daily Mail type solutions" for the past TWENTY YEARS, and the situation is FAR FAR FAR worse that it was when I was a kid in the seventies, BECAUSE of that PC viewpoint being allowed to dominate - if it worked we'd be seeing evidence by now - all we are seeing as how much worse it is and getting worse daily. Maybe actually giving the "Daily Mail type solutions" a try might work - but it would mean the end of cushy little numbers for the PC brigade (parasites each and every one). The incompetents responsible for the "My rights - I can do anything I want and you can't touch me" mentality amongst the kids.

I wasn't aware you were one of those PC types, Rob. :lol:

Edited by Phil K

Seperate issue

41870[/snapback]

Have they been tried ?

Much as I hate the Daily Mail, this mentality doesn't wash. We have been dealing with the shit-brained turds that vandalise and act aggressively to anyone who even looks at them and most often you don't even need to do THAT even knives are common now - in the politically correct manner by people who sneer at the "Daily Mail type solutions" for the past TWENTY YEARS - and the situation is FAR FAR FAR worse that it was when I was a kid in the seventies, BECAUSE of that PC viewpoint being allowed to dominate - if it worked we'd be seeing evidence by now - all we are seeing as how much worse it is - and getting worse daily. Maybe actually giving the "Daily Mail type solutions" might work - but it would mean the end of cushy little numbers for the PC brigade - parasites each and every one. The incompetents responsible for the "My rights - I can do anything I want and you can't touch me" mentality amongst the kids.

42054[/snapback]

to add to the above, it's a fact that the country has changed drastically. I am all for zero tolerance too. The reason that knives are more common - and used too - is tied in with all of the other thing discussed in the other posts, as well as another which wasn't. We, today in the UK, have allowed a lot of people into the country who have a far less regard for life than we did 20 or 30 years ago as well..

Seperate issue

41870[/snapback]

Have they been tried ?

Much as I hate the Daily Mail, this mentality doesn't wash. We have been dealing with the shit-brained turds that vandalise and act aggressively to anyone who even looks at them and most often you don't even need to do THAT even knives are common now - in the politically correct manner by people who sneer at the "Daily Mail type solutions" for the past TWENTY YEARS - and the situation is FAR FAR FAR worse that it was when I was a kid in the seventies, BECAUSE of that PC viewpoint being allowed to dominate - if it worked we'd be seeing evidence by now - all we are seeing as how much worse it is - and getting worse daily. Maybe actually giving the "Daily Mail type solutions" might work - but it would mean the end of cushy little numbers for the PC brigade - parasites each and every one. The incompetents responsible for the "My rights - I can do anything I want and you can't touch me" mentality amongst the kids.

42054[/snapback]

to add to the above, it's a fact that the country has changed drastically. I am all for zero tolerance too. The reason that knives are more common - and used too - is tied in with all of the other thing discussed in the other posts, as well as another which wasn't. We, today in the UK, have allowed a lot of people into the country who have a far less regard for life than we did 20 or 30 years ago as well..

42056[/snapback]

too true,myself i'd be starting with"get caught burgling" 5 years,"murder"life is till you die in prison,but the last sentence or 2 lets you down.

This thread has took an unusual turn.

42114[/snapback]

Alex - do you have to pay if you type more than a dozen words ? :huh:

42627[/snapback]

Yes :lol:

42114[/snapback]

42627[/snapback]

42720[/snapback]

I wish Leazes Mag was limited by such considerations aswell the fucking

42114[/snapback]

42627[/snapback]

42720[/snapback]

I wish Leazes Mag was limited by such considerations aswell the fucking

42932[/snapback]

yes ?

If you don't to read them, don't.

Shame, but I don't recall reading any of your posts .......