South Tyneside and Sunderland

Guest Stevie

Tell you what like, I had to go around the north east surveying a chain of shops. The single worst place as in being a dump and the state of the general people, by a country mile was Stockton.

As for up here. I drive around a load of places and I think like most, inner city area's area the worst. I was brought up in Benwell until I was 7 where I then moved to West Denton (also lived Forest Hall and Newbiggin Hall). So I've seen my fair share of dumps. But, I've also worked in Sunderland and I'd struggle to see worse than Pennywell or Hendon. South Tyneside is a million miles apart from any of these places.

We used to have a shop in Southbank, middlesborough that was shithole central. Used to have a post office a few doors away that was forever getting robbed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what like, I had to go around the north east surveying a chain of shops. The single worst place as in being a dump and the state of the general people, by a country mile was Stockton.

As for up here. I drive around a load of places and I think like most, inner city area's area the worst. I was brought up in Benwell until I was 7 where I then moved to West Denton (also lived Forest Hall and Newbiggin Hall). So I've seen my fair share of dumps. But, I've also worked in Sunderland and I'd struggle to see worse than Pennywell or Hendon. South Tyneside is a million miles apart from any of these places.

We used to have a shop in Southbank, middlesborough that was shithole central. Used to have a post office a few doors away that was forever getting robbed.

South Bank and Grangetown: both absolute hell-holes.

We parked in the multi story there and asked the first couple for directions. I'm not kidding, I could not understand a word the auld wife said. She had about 3 teeth and more nicotine stains than Alex Higgins.

I used to cycle through the Ridges when I was 11............... very very quickly

On your penny farthing etc etc

Guest The Three Lions

There's no way West Denton is anywhere near as bad as anywhere in South Tyneside, especially these days.

Guest The Three Lions

...and people slagging Byker and Walker off, both have improved loads I'd rather live there than the best place in Jarrow or Hebburn any day.

There's no way West Denton is anywhere near as bad as anywhere in South Tyneside, especially these days.

Though its not quite equal comparing WD to the whole of ST. ST has some real shit holes, but also some ok area's. West Denton is a lot worse now than it was in the early 80's. It went down hill as the council started moving "toublesome" families there from other area's. Though for me, its was always leagues better than Benwell. The new shops at West Denton are pretty smart actually. Its prob on par with Blakelaw etc. But the nicer area's around there are when you head up to Chapel Park & St Johns etc. Westerhope is ok, typical pit housing. Even NBH is tarted up these days with the new housing estates.

Benwell is the worst of the lot like by a mile. I still drive through now and again as I like to look back at places Ive lived. My old house isnt there anymore (off pendower way), it doesnt look that different around there otherwise. Until you get further along towards the church etc and you notice the traffic calming and security camera's etc.

I used to cycle through the Ridges when I was 11............... very very quickly

On your penny farthing etc etc

It looked more like "Stagecoach" - me whipping up the horses and the locals firing whatever came to hand at a passing stranger

Guest The Three Lions

Though its not quite equal comparing WD to the whole of ST. ST has some real shit holes, but also some ok area's. West Denton is a lot worse now than it was in the early 80's. It went down hill as the council started moving "toublesome" families there from other area's. Though for me, its was always leagues better than Benwell. The new shops at West Denton are pretty smart actually. Its prob on par with Blakelaw etc. But the nicer area's around there are when you head up to Chapel Park & St Johns etc. Westerhope is ok, typical pit housing. Even NBH is tarted up these days with the new housing estates.

Benwell is the worst of the lot like by a mile. I still drive through now and again as I like to look back at places Ive lived. My old house isnt there anymore (off pendower way), it doesnt look that different around there otherwise. Until you get further along towards the church etc and you notice the traffic calming and security camera's etc.

I can't argue with Benwell being horrific, but West Denton is nice for people who can only afford to live in council houses, I think it's better now than the 80's personally. I'm at West Denton quite a bit, especially on Sunday mornings, what they've done to the pool, library and shops is fantastic.

...and people slagging Byker and Walker off, both have improved loads I'd rather live there than the best place in Jarrow or Hebburn any day.

The old parts of Jarra and Hebburn are shit but the new part of Hebburn isn't bad.

Shields has a few shitholes and a few nice areas like most towns and is certainly comparable to most of Newcastle and North Tyneside in that regard.

As you also started off this chapter with Boldon I'd also point out that parts of Boldon, Cleadon and Whitburn (all ST) piss all over the vast majority of Newcastle and NT (though I accept they are Mackem tinged).

Guest The Three Lions

The old parts of Jarra and Hebburn are shit but the new part of Hebburn isn't bad.

Shields has a few shitholes and a few nice areas like most towns and is certainly comparable to most of Newcastle and North Tyneside in that regard.

As you also started off this chapter with Boldon I'd also point out that parts of Boldon, Cleadon and Whitburn (all ST) piss all over the vast majority of Newcastle and NT (though I accept they are Mackem tinged).

Run down shitholes from what I've seen.

Quite a few people at my work live in Boldon area as it happens. These are well-paid professional types so I don't think it can all be that bad.

Mind I can see no advantage living South of the Tyne.

I can't argue with Benwell being horrific, but West Denton is nice for people who can only afford to live in council houses, I think it's better now than the 80's personally. I'm at West Denton quite a bit, especially on Sunday mornings, what they've done to the pool, library and shops is fantastic.

Tbf my memory is a bit Jaded about WD. When you think I moved there in 1979 from Benwell, you can see why I maybe think it was nicer back then. But as I grew up and got older I thought it went downhill. But yeah I agree, the area around the shops looks nothing like it used to. I used to drink in the Dyke and the club so you can imagine how I remember the place. Only pass through now to see my Dad who lives in the H roads (Not from from Linhope Road).

Guest The Three Lions

Tbf my memory is a bit Jaded about WD. When you think I moved there in 1979 from Benwell, you can see why I maybe think it was nicer back then. But as I grew up and got older I thought it went downhill. But yeah I agree, the area around the shops looks nothing like it used to. I used to drink in the Dyke and the club so you can imagine how I remember the place. Only pass through now to see my Dad who lives in the H roads (Not from from Linhope Road).

The Dyke :icon_lol:

Only pub I've ever been in where they had domino cards for tac.

Quite a few people at my work live in Boldon area as it happens. These are well-paid professional types so I don't think it can all be that bad.

Mind I can see no advantage living South of the Tyne.

Bet I know them all as well :icon_lol:

We're almost related :angry:

Anything in Benwell to compare to these? :

East Boldon

Cleadon

Not sure what those prove but why would anyone with £1.6 million choose to live in South Tyneside? :icon_lol:

Just a general ripioste to Stevie's shithole pov.

I guess it would depend on the usual factors - whether you have mates in the area, what the schools were like etc, etc. I'm not saying I would live there if I had the money - my mates in the area now live in Newcasle itself so if I was moving back to the NE I would probably look there.

I would also say that if you did have that much money (and wanted to live in the NE at all) then it wouldn't make that much difference where you live - I guess Gosforth and Jesmond would appeal for handiness but apart from that a good house is a good house.

Guest The Three Lions
Was down Jarrow last night then had to go to Boldon, what a fuckin shithole, even the people are uglier, like noticably, what a place, this should be Durham, WE should be Northumberland end of. Discuss...

:icon_lol::angry::icon_lol:

Where abouts in Boldon?

ASDA, what a place, more Sunderland tops than Butlins to be honest as well.

You go to the opticians there don't you Stevie? Got a mate who sometimes does locum days for them. He's a toffees fan, but a good lad.

He's a great bloke him, absolutely top bloke. Very softly spoken probably late 30's he's the best one by a mile.

The same bloke, he has a Gary Abblett haircut, and lives Gosforth or Jesmond?

Even Alex agrees.

alex

Re: Boldon, Brockley Whins, Bede, JARROW, Hebburn etc..

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2006, 02:36:07 PM »

One night in Hebburn...

South Tyneside is f***ing awful like.

Said similar things about the West End though tbf :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Forest Hall is so posh the dogs pick up their own shit. :angry:

Guest The Three Lions
Even Alex agrees.

alex

Re: Boldon, Brockley Whins, Bede, JARROW, Hebburn etc..

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2006, 02:36:07 PM »

One night in Hebburn...

South Tyneside is f***ing awful like.

Said similar things about the West End though tbf :icon_lol:

Who's from the West End like? :angry:

:icon_lol:

Forest Hall is so posh the dogs pick up their own shit. :angry:

Yeah, I didnt really mean that was a dump. I liked it there tbf.