South Tyneside and Sunderland

Guest Stevie

Not sure its wise to compare Newcastle in the Keegan years with Sunderland under Bruce. I honestly can't see Sunderland ever being a trendy club like Newcastle was in the 90s. And of course there's always the problem that Sunderland isn't even really a proper city. It's a large slightly shit town in reality.

Wasn't Sunderland awarded city status in some kind of competition? :rolleyes:

Don't know about that but if iirc it was awarded city status in the distant past of 1991.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shit wum :rolleyes:

Give Stevie some credit, he's hooked an absolute knacker here. :)

Isn't that how Sandman got in trouble :razz:

<_<

Thing I don't get is, he's either saying that until Newcastle United are entirely out of the picture sunderland the club will forever be in our shadow (which isn't much of a bragging point for him) OR he's saying that sunderland the "city" will flower into glory if Newcastle the club falters (which is bollocks).

Even the mackems agree and uphold my stance.
Default Re: Gateshead hate Newcastle!

Newcastle as a city and a club have only ever cared about themselves

thats one reason why Sunderland as a City only ever got the crumbs from the table and as been under financed for years!

From Teed that, well said Teed

Dangerously close to using the term "Geordie Mafia" there.

People who seriously believe Newcastle is to blame for Sunderland being a bit of a dive is a twat.

Awarded for the Queen's birthday or something like that wasn't it?

I think so.

Plus they also petitioned for a Lord Mayor but it was refused!

Sunderland is, by approximately 593 parsecs, the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived in the first place in England where bobbies on the beat were issued with handguns and I have lived in fairly dodgy parts of south London.

All the good mackems I know have left Sunderland, even if only to Washington or Durham. Newcastle can attract and keep good people. Every student I met at Uni in Sunderland left as soon as they could.

Newcastle has its fair share of mongs but they are watered down by good people, Sunderland distills mongs.

• 10 months later...
Guest The Three Lions

Was down Jarrow last night then had to go to Boldon, what a fuckin shithole, even the people are uglier, like noticably, what a place, this should be Durham, WE should be Northumberland end of. Discuss...

Was down Jarrow last night then had to go to Boldon, what a fuckin shithole, even the people are uglier, like noticably, what a place, this should be Durham, WE should be Northumberland end of. Discuss...

:) :) :woosh:

Where abouts in Boldon?

Guest The Three Lions

Where abouts in Boldon?

ASDA, what a place, more Sunderland tops than Butlins to be honest as well.

I know the probable answer, but do you think you have more in common with a farmer in Hexham or Berwick or someone from South Tyneside?

I think people in South Tyneside have more in common with all the urban people of Tyneside than the wilds of either old county - I don't see why anyone from Shields should feel akin to someone from Bishop Aukland more than someone from North Shields.

Where abouts in Boldon?

Aye it is the food source of choice for the Redhouse, Town end farm, Downhill and Castletown areas.

Used to hate it when the company I worked for had the Taxi contract there. Makem accent to me is like finger nails down a blackboard.

Should have ventured upto East Boldon...... Makem Free. :woosh:

Where abouts in Boldon?

You go to the opticians there don't you Stevie? Got a mate who sometimes does locum days for them. He's a toffees fan, but a good lad.

Guest The Three Lions

I know the probable answer, but do you think you have more in common with a farmer in Hexham or Berwick or someone from South Tyneside?

I think people in South Tyneside have more in common with all the urban people of Tyneside than the wilds of either old county - I don't see why anyone from Shields should feel akin to someone from Bishop Aukland more than someone from North Shields.

Definitely more in common with someone from Hexham. It's 17 miles to Hexham from here, and probably 17 miles to South Shields. HTT used to talk pure shite, but he made a cracking point saying people from South Tyneside are a different type of geordie to ones from Newcastle so true.

Some good points made in this thread.... http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/...ic,34150.0.html

Guest The Three Lions

Where abouts in Boldon?

You go to the opticians there don't you Stevie? Got a mate who sometimes does locum days for them. He's a toffees fan, but a good lad.

He's a great bloke him, absolutely top bloke. Very softly spoken probably late 30's he's the best one by a mile.

Definitely more in common with someone from Hexham. It's 17 miles to Hexham from here, and probably 17 miles to South Shields. HTT used to talk pure shite, but he made a cracking point saying people from South Tyneside are a different type of geordie to ones from Newcastle so true.

Some good points made in this thread.... http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/...ic,34150.0.html

Dont think many south tyneside people consider themselves "Geordie" other than the collective "Geordie" persona taken on by supporting Newcastle.

Shields people are sandancers and originally East Boldon (when I was young) was part of County Durham.

Jarrow and Hebburn folk may because they are pretty close to Newcastle and live on the banks of the tyne.

Good points like you putting Benwell and Pennywell below South Tyneside as a shithole?

Fuck. right. off.

Guest The Three Lions

Even Alex agrees.

alex

Re: Boldon, Brockley Whins, Bede, JARROW, Hebburn etc..

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2006, 02:36:07 PM »

One night in Hebburn...

South Tyneside is f***ing awful like.

Dont think many south tyneside people consider themselves "Geordie" other than the collective "Geordie" persona taken on by supporting Newcastle.

Shields people are sandancers and originally East Boldon (when I was young) was part of County Durham.

Jarrow and Hebburn folk may because they are pretty close to Newcastle and live on the banks of the tyne.

I think the adoption of the Mackem identity has sort of confused things in general. Certainly for my parents and for me when I was younger "Geordie" encompassed a pretty broad church - Sunderland fans certainly used to sing it and did so at Wembley in 73.

Now though there seems to be a desire for a narrower definition which I think has resulted in terms linke Sanddancer coming to the fore as well.

I've always defined myself by a hierarchy that goes Westoe/Shields/Tyneside/England/UK/Europe/Earth with whatever labels apply at each stage but I recognise that football support also adds in a factor as you say as well.

I do recognise there is a difference in accents between ST and Newcastle but then again Blyth and Ashington I would say are more different. I also vehemently disagree with Stevie's shit about mackem words - as I said before while living in Shields for 32 years I never heard a native ever say skewel or bewk or any of the other classics.

Tell you what like, I had to go around the north east surveying a chain of shops. The single worst place as in being a dump and the state of the general people, by a country mile was Stockton.

As for up here. I drive around a load of places and I think like most, inner city area's area the worst. I was brought up in Benwell until I was 7 where I then moved to West Denton (also lived Forest Hall and Newbiggin Hall). So I've seen my fair share of dumps. But, I've also worked in Sunderland and I'd struggle to see worse than Pennywell or Hendon. South Tyneside is a million miles apart from any of these places.

Tell you what like, I had to go around the north east surveying a chain of shops. The single worst place as in being a dump and the state of the general people, by a country mile was Stockton.

As for up here. I drive around a load of places and I think like most, inner city area's area the worst. I was brought up in Benwell until I was 7 where I then moved to West Denton (also lived Forest Hall and Newbiggin Hall). So I've seen my fair share of dumps. But, I've also worked in Sunderland and I'd struggle to see worse than Pennywell or Hendon. South Tyneside is a million miles apart from any of these places.

I used to cycle through the Ridges when I was 11............... very very quickly