Expectations For Next Season?

David Kelly

I merrily await Leazes rebuttal

Some rebuttal it will be I'm sure. :icon_lol:

At least the 5th best rebuttal but I bet it doesn't do 160mph or live south of the tyne :icon_lol:

we are a long way short of 5th now, sadly. About 2 or 3 trophy signings I'd say.

Yes but Gateshead United's U15s local league winning players shouldn't count as trophy signings.

That being said, I'm waiting before I make any judgments.

maybe our sooper dooper scouts are already there watching them planning the assault on the premiership next season

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Who are these "big names".

So far as I can see its just an article with the usual shite cliches.

He obviously isn't talking about Bramble, Lua LUa, Gavilan, Bellamy, Robert, Jenas, Cort, Viana, Griffin, Solano, Sibierski, Milner, Zoggy, Ambrose, Bernard, O'Brien.

Oh aye, the club are trying out a new way of doing things ie look around for young talent which succeeds every time. Its sooper dooper and its brilliant and they should have been doing it all the time.

What amazes me is the amount of times these journos spout this stuff, and even more so how long people are taken in by it.

They are Owen, Luque, Parker, Emre, Duff, Boumsong, Martins, Smith & Barton. It's there in black and white. Can you not read?

He obviously isn't talking about Bramble, Lua LUa, Gavilan, Bellamy, Robert, Jenas, Cort, Viana, Griffin, Solano, Sibierski, Milner, Zoggy, Ambrose, Bernard, O'Brien.

Oh aye, the club are trying out a new way of doing things ie look around for young talent which succeeds every time. Its sooper dooper and its brilliant and they should have been doing it all the time.

What amazes me is the amount of times these journos spout this stuff, and even more so how long people are taken in by it.

They are Owen, Luque, Parker, Emre, Duff, Boumsong, Martins, Smith & Barton. It's there in black and white. Can you not read?

Really ?

What do you classify Rooney, Ronaldo, Robben, Drogba, Torres ........ for starters ?

Guest BigThompers

Really ?

What do you classify Rooney, Ronaldo, Robben, Drogba, Torres ........ for starters ?

Better players with wages probably on a par with our shit ones :icon_lol:

Edited by BigThompers

Really ?

so the "trophy players" we signed were'nt really "trophy players" then ?

Leazes man, Rooney, Ronaldo et al joined clubs where they improve the team without being the only good player in it. We signed Duff because of his name, not his benefit to the side.

if you can't see that you're Magooing like you've never Magooed before.

Why is it, that we all think the same, the journos think the same.. pretty much every asked thinks the same... except you. And yet we're the one's who're deluded etc.

What I expect, currently anything from european places to relegation battle...

Ok I'm talking Football Manager know, but what is the 1st thing you do when you go to a (new) club ?

You have a look at the how it's run, the technical staff & facilities, players, costs, finances available and then you start to implement your ideas.

If the overall theme really is getting rid of "average/past it" players on a high(er) salary, but more youngesters and prospects in

I'm all for the cost cutting thing. I just hope he does it for the long term future of the club and not for the quick buck in a club-sale.

If I may ask, how are things with the NUFC youth facilities and connections with region and it's smaller clubs ?

Leazes man, Rooney, Ronaldo et al joined clubs where they improve the team without being the only good player in it. We signed Duff because of his name, not his benefit to the side.

if you can't see that you're Magooing like you've never Magooed before.

Why is it, that we all think the same, the journos think the same.. pretty much every asked thinks the same... except you. And yet we're the one's who're deluded etc.

we bought a Chelsea squad player for his name ?

Dont' be bloody daft. He turned Liverpool down for us, does that make Liverpool stupid as well ? Incidentally, what do you think of a player turning down Liverpool for us 2 years ago and 2 players recently turning us down for Spurs ?

The journos [some of them] are sucking up to what they perceive as the fans opinion, but players in the game and ex Newcastle players say that backing your manager and trying to buy quality is what counts, and Duff was a good player and at the time 5m was a good fee for a forward, before he was injured.

What I expect, currently anything from european places to relegation battle...

Ok I'm talking Football Manager know, but what is the 1st thing you do when you go to a (new) club ?

You have a look at the how it's run, the technical staff & facilities, players, costs, finances available and then you start to implement your ideas.

If the overall theme really is getting rid of "average/past it" players on a high(er) salary, but more youngesters and prospects in

I'm all for the cost cutting thing. I just hope he does it for the long term future of the club and not for the quick buck in a club-sale.

If I may ask, how are things with the NUFC youth facilities and connections with region and it's smaller clubs ?

Aye that's true, and indeed may well be a decent long-term strategy.

The thing is thought that real life is not FM, and equally there's a lot of ways that can go wrong too, not least being we have a tiny squad at the moment to start with, and I wouldn't like to see us cope with an injury list like Roeder had to cope with.

Dont' be bloody daft. He turned Liverpool down for us, does that make Liverpool stupid as well ? Incidentally, what do you think of a player turning down Liverpool for us 2 years ago and 2 players recently turning us down for Spurs ?

The journos [some of them] are sucking up to what they perceive as the fans opinion, but players in the game and ex Newcastle players say that backing your manager and trying to buy quality is what counts, and Duff was a good player and at the time 5m was a good fee for a forward, before he was injured.

We didn't need Duff, we needed defenders and proven strikers, not a left winger. We had at the time a player with great potential on the left wing. Duff was signed to sell shirts, to appease stupid fans and quieten claims that we're not making strides in the transfer market.

I'm not against making big signings, but I am against making big signings for big signings sake. Duff is the perfect example. Frivolous and a flop.

Guest BigThompers

Really ?

Yes they're trophy players, as they were signed purely on reputation. However, because we can't even execute a trophy signing properly, they're declining players.

What a joke.

We didn't need Duff, we needed defenders and proven strikers, not a left winger. We had at the time a player with great potential on the left wing. Duff was signed to sell shirts, to appease stupid fans and quieten claims that we're not making strides in the transfer market.

I'm not against making big signings, but I am against making big signings for big signings sake. Duff is the perfect example. Frivolous and a flop.

how many people have you seen with Duff on the back of their shirts ?

Stop spouting cliches designed to misrepresent the old board man ffs. It was the managers decision and the board backed him to buy what was, at the time, a good player for a cut price fee, with his best years in front of him, with Solano past his best and getting older.

This signing was looking ahead, and I will ask you again, if you are going to level such criticism at the club do you also think the same comments are relevant to the manager and his board at Liverpool ?

I don't think anyone was appeased at all, in fact I think its only stupid fans who can't see the obvious which is what I'm stating above but instead only want to see everything the old board did in as negative a light as possible at every opportunity.

BTW, there are a hell of a lot of people that don't seem to keen to renew their season tickets. Don't you think it should be the other way around ?

Really ?

Yes they're trophy players, as they were signed purely on reputation. However, because we can't even execute a trophy signing properly, they're declining players.

What a joke.

of course players are signed on reputations you daft shite.

What else do you sign players for ?

Isn't Ronaldo going to Real Madrid because of his reputation ? If we had signed Modric wouldn't that have been because of his reputation ?

You're a classic example of the supporter who mindlessly slates the old board and puts a negative view of everything they do thompers.

Whats your opinion on Liverpool also wanting Duff ?

Guest BigThompers

Really ?

What a joke.

Isn't Ronaldo going to Real Madrid because of his reputation ? If we had signed Modric wouldn't that have been because of his reputation ?

You're a classic example of the supporter who mindlessly slates the old board and puts a negative view of everything they do thompers.

Ok I'll rephrase, you picky wanker. PAST reputation.

Ronaldo is going there because of his current ability, not his past reputation.

Modric would have been signed because of his current reputation as one of the most promising players in Europe.

Can you explain to me what reputation Duff had at the time, and from when this reputation was earned.

My opinion of Liverpool wanting Duff is that they actually needed a winger (unlike us) and that when you consider that they signed Pennant, it shows that the market wasn't ripe for quality ones at the time.

Really ?

What a joke.

Ok I'll rephrase, you picky wanker. PAST reputation.

Ronaldo is going there because of his current ability, not his past reputation.

Modric would have been signed because of his current reputation as one of the most promising players in Europe.

Can you explain to me what reputation Duff had at the time, and from when this reputation was earned.

My opinion of Liverpool wanting Duff is that they actually needed a winger (unlike us) and that when you consider that they signed Pennant, it shows that the market wasn't ripe for quality ones at the time.

we were looking ahead. I realise that this is something that demands giving credit to the old board for actually doing something right which you won't entertain, but I'm sorry if it offends you or something, but its true.

You can't have been much of a football supporter if you seriously don't realise that Duff was considered to be a top player when he moved from Blackburn to Chelsea for 17/18m quid, and was only kept out of the team on a regular basis because Chelsea had a few too many of these despicable trophy players.

I'm sorry to inform you that, as I said, when we signed Duff he had his best years ahead of him.

We've also signed quite a lot of players in the last decade who were judged to have their best years ahead of them, despite your daft "opinion" that we haven't.

When we signed Duff I was over the moon! Even my housemate - a liverpool fan - said for £5m he was worth anyones money.

The lad gets far too much stick. I reckon we have had our money's worth...

Guest BigThompers
When we signed Duff I was over the moon! Even my housemate - a liverpool fan - said for £5m he was worth anyones money.

:icon_lol: When?

Duff is the new Ameobi man. Every arsehole on the bandwagon saying he's the worst player to kick a ball.

He's put in a few decent performances and has at least been consistent when he has had a decent run in the team.

As much as he has lost some of his former tenacity with crossing etc I reckon he's still worth holding on to and there are more premiership teams that would take Duff than that wouldn't.

Guest BigThompers

Duff is the new Ameobi man. Every arsehole on the bandwagon saying he's the worst player to kick a ball.

He's put in a few decent performances and has at least been consistent when he has had a decent run in the team.

As much as he has lost some of his former tenacity with crossing etc I reckon he's still worth holding on to and there are more premiership teams that would take Duff than that wouldn't.

For £5million and the wages he'll be on he's done FUCK ALL. We can get a decent squad player on £20k p/w, so he's not worth holding onto for what he costs, imo.

For £5million and the wages he'll be on he's done FUCK ALL. We can get a decent squad player on £20k p/w, so he's not worth holding onto for what he costs, imo.

No. No we can't.

Duff was never worth £5 million. At the time I thought it was a very good deal but he's proven that he's completely shot. I'd get rid ASAP.

I fully expect to have another season in midtable next year. I don't expect us to spend a hellish amount this summer which isn't surprising considering the amount of debt we needed to pay off and the fact there are far too many players on far too much money. I don't personally want another season of consolidation and rebuilding but it's going to take more than 12 months to clear all of the dead wood.

Edited by Ketsbaia

I fully expect to have another season in midtable next year. I don't expect us to spend a hellish amount this summer which isn't surprising considering the amount of debt we needed to pay off and the fact there are far too many players on far too much money. I don't personally want another season of consolidation and rebuilding but it's going to take more than 12 months to clear all of the dead wood.

This. Unlike other "rebuilding" seasons, I think this one will see genuine progress in some shape or form, building on our end to last season. I think we'll bring in a few players like but I couldn't tell you who. All this talk about a quiet transfer window for us so far is born out of the fact that we had went mental this time last year and signed a tonne of players. If waiting a bit longer means avoiding a signing like Geremi then I'm all for it. I expect some more youngsters brought in and as for the finish? Anywhere from 7th to 14th is possible considering the Premier League.

Edited by Stiva

if duff took a wage cut he'd be a good squad player to have tbh

he's got experience and when he's not injured at say 1/2 of what hes earning now he'd be a good enough performer vs money

but i do agree when he got his last injury at chelsea he lost the quick turn he always used to leave defenders etc standing, never came back from that properly

expectations

Midtable at best, at the rate were going we'll make some cheap average signings and still have a small squad

It was still maybe worth taking a chance on him then, and even in the first season as he was injured so much it was hard to tell, but after last season it does just seem he's a bit of a Carr.

I wonder if anyone warned us about him al la Robson and Geremi though.