Is it Scotch? Is it whisky? Is it Scotch whisky?

sammynb

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of getting the awld fella a Singleton of Dufftown 12-year-old this year.

What do you reckon Alex?

Never had it actually but you can't go far wrong with a Speyside malt so I'd imagine it's spot on.

Nice, although Islay isnae my cup of tea.

Mind, although I still like a nice whisky I'm more of a brandy man these days.

If you make it over for a visit next year, i'll crack open the 1943 Armagnac i was given. It wont be opened before June next year for a very specific reason.

I bought our whisky loving friend his xmas pressie a couple of weeks back....Highland Park, I could not believe the price :lol: It was 21-65 and that was on offer!! It should have been nearly 28 quid. I hope he enjoys it!

I honestly don't think that's expensive for a quality bottle of spirits. And if you bought something equivalent about 15 years ago I bet it would have cost a canny bit more in real terms. Booze is cheap as fuck now.

That taste map is good btw Dr. N. I've used it before as a guide for trying new whiskies. And that Singleton is similar to Macallan according to that Macallan is absolutely lush.

I honestly don't think that's expensive for a quality bottle of spirits. And if you bought something equivalent about 15 years ago I bet it would have cost a canny bit more in real terms. Booze is cheap as fuck now.

That taste map is good btw Dr. N. I've used it before as a guide for trying new whiskies. And that Singleton is similar to Macallan according to that Macallan is absolutely lush.

Well I'll take your word for it alex as I dont drink the stuff! I know it was more expensive than the Glenfiditch (sp) that I normally buy him. Still, a pressie is all about giving enjoyment to the people you care about so thats fine with me.

Has anyone tried the coffee Baileys yet?

Well I'll take your word for it alex as I dont drink the stuff! I know it was more expensive than the Glenfiditch (sp) that I normally buy him. Still, a pressie is all about giving enjoyment to the people you care about so thats fine with me.

Has anyone tried the coffee Baileys yet?

It's not when you think about what goes into making, how long it matures for etc. anyway.

• 5 months later...

Was anyone on here at the Whisky Festival at the Civic on Saturday? (apart from Alex)

It was great value, and pretty much everything there was spot on.

For the patriots amongst us (Stevie :lol:) The English Whisky company are quite new but do a real nice drop.

Nice, although Islay isnae my cup of tea.

Mind, although I still like a nice whisky I'm more of a brandy man these days.

If you make it over for a visit next year, i'll crack open the 1943 Armagnac i was given. It wont be opened before June next year for a very specific reason .

:)

Head wetter?

Guest The Three Lions

Been seeing my way through a 25 year old bottle of Glenmorangie the last week, beautiful stuff. Had the equivalent of maybe 6 doubles last night watching Italy not even a hint of a hangover. Best drink in the world bar none.

Been seeing my way through a 25 year old bottle of Glenmorangie the last week, beautiful stuff. Had the equivalent of maybe 6 doubles last night watching Italy not even a hint of a hangover. Best drink in the world bar none.

I find drinks like that don't tend to give me a huge hangover, which is why I try and end a night out on spirits. If I drink beer or wine all night I get a cracking stomach or headache the next day with all the other trimmings of a hangover.

Sounds a bit corny but I found after trying various drams at the festival I was almost 'buzzing' rather than pissed. Also, whilst a bit knackered on Sunday morning, I didn't have a hangover. That Glenmorangie sounds nice Stevie. I haven't had a one that old. I'm a big fan of their ones that have been 'finished' in different casks though (port, sherry, etc.)

I just can't drink spirits straight, with the exception of a reasonable vodka. No Tesco value stuff for me, otherwise it'll feel like the channel tunnel is being bored through my head.

Jack Daniels without cola is terrible.

I just can't drink spirits straight, with the exception of a reasonable vodka. No Tesco value stuff for me, otherwise it'll feel like the channel tunnel is being bored through my head.

A chilled Russian standard vokda with a squirt of fresh lime is gorgeous.

Guest The Three Lions

A chilled Russian standard vokda with a squirt of fresh lime is gorgeous.

Was in the paper the other day the official best vodka on earth is made in Hereford.

Jack Daniels is terrible, with or without the coke.

Sounds a bit corny but I found after trying various drams at the festival I was almost 'buzzing' rather than pissed. Also, whilst a bit knackered on Sunday morning, I didn't have a hangover. That Glenmorangie sounds nice Stevie. I haven't had a one that old. I'm a big fan of their ones that have been 'finished' in different casks though (port, sherry, etc.)

The Sonnalta and the Quinta Ruban are both lovely, actually all of them we had at that tasting were.

Jack Daniels is terrible, with or without the coke.

I disagree. I like whiskey/bourbon (sp?) and coke, but obviously a fancy brand like Glenlivet or the other ones beginning with 'Glen' would be a waste. As far as I'm concerned, JD/Jim Beam/Jameson's are made to be mixed, whilst the expensive stuff is to be on its own, and drunk by those who like fine whiskey. Personally, I cannot drink the stuff on its own at all. Its nearly as badas gin.