What MP3 Player

wykikitoon

iPod.

Have you used any other MP3 player?

I borrowed a mates Zen when I was visiting London so I had something to listen to while I was pootling around the city and she was at work. Perhaps it's bias, but I much preferred the iPod.

Fair enough.

See how I can shoot you down without being mean like Gemmil... we're not all angry ginger robots.

Although people may fault iPods for breaking down, the spare parts are readily avaliable on eBay, I've replaced the logic board and battery on my 4th gen iPod, its 4 years old now but is almost like Triggers broom on Only Fools and Horses.

iPod.

I borrowed a mates Zen when I was visiting London so I had something to listen to while I was pootling around the city and she was at work. Perhaps it's bias, but I much preferred the iPod.

Fair enough.

See how I can shoot you down without being mean like Gemmil... we're not all angry ginger robots.

Nah, some of you are fat baldy cocknoses. :lol:

If you're worried about your hearing I think it's best to get in ear noise isolating phones. The noise being isolated allows you to listen at lower volumes. Headphones have to be at full blast to drown out anything.

Get some Shure noise isolaters.....

£50 E2C's

£80 E3C's

£130 E4C's

Can any of the medically minded folk put my mind at ease, are these healthier for your ears than, say over-the-ear ones?

I know it's probably misguided but in my mind, inner-ear ones are far worse for your ears than the others...

Edited by The Fish

iPod.

Fair enough.

Nah, some of you are fat baldy cocknoses. :lol:

:woosh: what are you? 12?

If you're worried about your hearing I think it's best to get in ear noise isolating phones. The noise being isolated allows you to listen at lower volumes. Headphones have to be at full blast to drown out anything.

£50 E2C's

£80 E3C's

£130 E4C's

Can any of the medically minded folk put my mind at ease, are these healthier for your ears than, say over-the-ear ones?

I know it's probably misguided but in my mind, inner-ear ones are far worse for your ears than the others...

Seems my assumption wasn't quite spot on

The higher the volume, the more you should limit your listening time, with the recommended limits varying somewhat depending on the type of headphones you're using.

If you listen at 10 percent to 50 percent of maximum volume, the researchers say you can listen as long as you want, regardless of headphone type. But if you push the volume to 80 percent of maximum, the researchers recommend limiting your daily listening time as follows:

Earbuds: 1.5 hours (1.2 hours for iPod earbuds)

Sound-isolating headphones: 50 minutes

Over-the-ear headphones: nearly 5 hours

If you turn down the volume just a bit, to 70 percent of the maximum, the researchers suggest more generous time limits:

Earbuds : 6 hours (4.6 hours for iPod earbuds)

Sound-isolating headphones: 3.4 hours

Over-the-ear headphones: 20 hours

but

if you're going to be in a noisy setting, sound-isolating headphones may help you keep the volume at safer levels.

More info

Edited by Happy Face

Apple has unveiled the latest version of its iPod Nano, featuring what it says are the thinnest measurements yet.

The fourth generation Nano was launched at a US press conference by Apple chief Steve Jobs, who announced new shuffle and library features.

He also listed the Nano's environmental credentials, including arsenic-free glass and a mercury and PVC-free body that is "highly recyclable".

The Nanos are expected to sell in the UK for £109 ($191) for the 8GB version.

The 16GB version will retail at £149.

Speaking live in San Francisco, Mr Jobs unveiled Apple's new Genius function which allows users to create automatic playlists from the iPod's library with the click of a button.

He said the function worked by taking one song and creating a playlist based on the user's song library and could also suggest other tracks the user might want to buy.

Mr Jobs said the new Nano also had a "shake to shuffle" mode, which sends the gadget to shuffle mode with the flick of a wrist.

'Lots of fun'

The Apple chief executive officer said the company had sold more than 160 million iPods since its introduction seven years ago.

An updated iPod Touch - the closest cousin to the iPhone - was also announced at the event.

It is thinner than previous models and has integrated volume controls and a built-in speaker for "casual listening" and will also include the Genius function.

New software for the iPhone - which will be available free to all users - would "fix a lot of bugs" including dropped calls and connection problems reported by customers.

Mr Jobs said: "We're really, really excited about all these products. We think people are going to have a lot of fun."

I had a little Sony one similar to the one in the O.P

It was too small, so the buttons and screen were infuriating. You also had to use Sony's 'Sonic Stage' software which wasn't the best and it stored things in atrac format which was a pain in the arse to move onto another machine.

Apple has unveiled the latest version of its iPod Nano, featuring what it says are the thinnest measurements yet.

The fourth generation Nano was launched at a US press conference by Apple chief Steve Jobs, who announced new shuffle and library features.

He also listed the Nano's environmental credentials, including arsenic-free glass and a mercury and PVC-free body that is "highly recyclable".

The Nanos are expected to sell in the UK for £109 ($191) for the 8GB version.

The 16GB version will retail at £149.

Speaking live in San Francisco, Mr Jobs unveiled Apple's new Genius function which allows users to create automatic playlists from the iPod's library with the click of a button.

He said the function worked by taking one song and creating a playlist based on the user's song library and could also suggest other tracks the user might want to buy.

Mr Jobs said the new Nano also had a "shake to shuffle" mode, which sends the gadget to shuffle mode with the flick of a wrist.

'Lots of fun'

The Apple chief executive officer said the company had sold more than 160 million iPods since its introduction seven years ago.

An updated iPod Touch - the closest cousin to the iPhone - was also announced at the event.

It is thinner than previous models and has integrated volume controls and a built-in speaker for "casual listening" and will also include the Genius function.

New software for the iPhone - which will be available free to all users - would "fix a lot of bugs" including dropped calls and connection problems reported by customers.

Mr Jobs said: "We're really, really excited about all these products. We think people are going to have a lot of fun."

Yeah I'm having great fun trying to get my AirPort to work after iTunes 8.0 seems to have buggered it! ;)

£50 E2C's

£80 E3C's

£130 E4C's

There have been studies showing that in-ear head phones did significantly more damage due to position (I think there was some negative biomechanic effect) and relative volume (as much as nine decibels), but whether these would be better or worse than out of ear headphones that you'd have to listen to at a greater volume. ;)

£50 E2C's

£80 E3C's

£130 E4C's

bloody hell they look great but do I really need to spend over £50 for some earphones?

£50 E2C's

£80 E3C's

£130 E4C's

bloody hell they look great but do I really need to spend over £50 for some earphones?

Oh aye, otherwise you might as well buy the casette walkman I posted.

The £130+ ones probably need a portable amp to go with them to get the benefit though.

Edited by Happy Face

£50 E2C's

I have these. ;) Got them on ebay (brand new, obv) for about £20-30.

Really good, but I've been through a 2 or 3 pairs because I don't take particularly good care of them (would recommend putting them back in the case when not being used) so the sound quality deteriorates and goes all crackly.