iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

You might be in luck Jonny.

By Sam Oliver

Published: 08:40 AM EST

Multiple sources are reporting that that T-Mobile U.K. is in talks with Apple to bring the iPhone 3G – last year’s model – to its mobile service, taking away the phone’s exclusivity from competing carrier O2.

Reports from Register Hardware and guardian.co.uk suggest the appearance of the iPhone 3G on the British T-Mobile network could happen in the next few months.

The Register said O2’s exclusive agreement for the iPhone 3GS appears to remain secure. O2 would also carry the iPhone 3G.

“This represents a major shift in how Apple markets the iPhone,” The Register said, “which currently relies on network exclusives to get a decent subsidy; giving that up shows either greater confidence or reflected disappointment in how O2 has priced up the latest offering.”

The report from guardian.co.uk goes a step further: It states it is “understood” that both Orange and Vodafone are interested in providing the iPhone on their networks as well, if Apple changes its strategy. If that were to come to pass, all of the U.K.’s major cell phone carriers would provide some version of the iPhone.

Richard Moat, T-Mobile U.K.’s new managing director, has taken his position as the company is in the midst of financial trouble. Because T-Mobile does not offer the best handset selection, gaining access to the iPhone 3G would be a major coup for Moat.

“Moat, however, is preparing to reveal his plans to turn around T-Mobile's fortunes in the UK market,” guardian.co.uk wrote, “where it has fallen far behind O2, Vodafone and Orange.”

When it was released in Europe in November of 2007, the iPhone debuted on O2 in the United Kingdom and on T-Mobile in Germany. Much like it did with AT&T in the U.S., Apple secured exclusive agreements with carriers in each nation.

Though it is headquartered in Germany, T-Mobile has subsidiaries in various nations, including the U.S. and U.K.

Though exclusivity for the iPhone through one carrier is the most common arrangement, non-exclusive deals are not unheard of. Since 2008, Apple has signed a number of non-exclusive carrier contracts in various countries.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

harbour master

that is all

:icon_lol:

:D

what a game!!!!

top score on fishing bay 119

cyclone island 71

sturgeon creek 83

I've got facebook, Skype, Twitter, Sky Plus, Sky News and that's all so far.

any suggestions?

Flixster

Things

TwitterFon

eBay

Air Sharing

HoldEm

any suggestions?

Flixster

Things

TwitterFon

eBay

Air Sharing

HoldEm

Which HoldEm is that? there's pigging loads!

I daren't get eBay... I'll spend a fortune on useless tat

:D

any suggestions?

Flixster

Things

TwitterFon

eBay

Air Sharing

HoldEm

Which HoldEm is that? there's pigging loads!

I daren't get eBay... I'll spend a fortune on useless tat

:icon_lol:

It's just down as HoldEm on my touch and the logo is a diamond crusted spade (spade as in card symbol, not garden tool :D ) Think I paid about £2.99 for it but it's canny good.

Remember when you had to play a tape for 20 minutes if you wanted a game of Horace Goes Skiing?

aye, Jet set willy was my favourite for some reason :lol:

Spotify are launching their system on the iPhone, you have to subscribe to their premium service, but the app itself is free.

Spotify are launching their system on the iPhone, you have to subscribe to their premium service, but the app itself is free.

Balls to that then, seems a bit daft considering the iPhone is essentially a music storage device.

Aye, I use the free Spotify service, but there's no way I'd pay to have it on the iPhone, when if I really want that tune I could download it and then sync it across for nothing.

Mine arrived last night. I have a few qusetions if you could help :

1) I plugged it in yesterday, no problem. I came into work and plugged it in again. Blue Screen of Death(pc). I did a small bit of researach and I have no webcam drivers(which seem to cause a problem), so I deleted the 3 pics on my 'Camera-Roll' on the phone. It now plugs in fine.

Can I take photo's on the iphone and save them into a different folder other than camera roll?

2) On my bill, I'm entitled to 1gig of free web usage. How easy is it for me to go through that? I won't be using international roaming, and will only use the web for gmail/facebook/checking websites.

3) Jailbreaking. Is it worth it?

4) Does having an iphone make me a better person?

Who have you got your phone with that is limiting you to 1gig of web usage?? On O2 all data is unlimited.

On 1, I suspect you'll need to jailbreak and even then not sure if it's possible......why would you want to do that??

On 3, mine's jailbroken and there is some stuff you can add, but tbh I'm not that excited about it.

On 4, undoubtedly.

Cheers Gemmill,

Regarding the camera roll bit. Before I had taken any photo's, the iphone worked and connected fine, once I had taken some photo's though, it crashed my pc as soon as I plugged it in. When I deleted them, it connected no problem. Really annoying.

Regarding the web useage :

O2 Ireland entitles me to :

* 350 Anytime minutes

* 150 SMS

* 15 MMS

* 1 GB Data allowance

I'm not too pushed about jailbreaking it at the minute, I may do it eventually if there are some brilliant apps.