iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know which is the best internet browsing phone or is it really a waste of time trying to access toontastic via a phone. Would a net book be a better option.

A netbook is obviously a better way to browse but its a lot less practical. Ive got an Acer netbook which I use when Im away from home and its a piece of piss to carry round and is canny enough quality with a 10" screen but you still wouldnt have it on you all day.

Cant fault the iphone though, screen is obviously way smaller but the pinch and stretch facility makes it easily readable and Ive yet to find a site that doesnt render perfectly on the Safari browser it uses....tell a lie, there is one problem, sites that have scrollbars within them ie a main viewing area and part of the area contains a scrollbar, the iphone doesnt know how to handle those so you cant scroll them. Few and far between thought tbh.

silly question but!! can you link the iphone to a laptop and use it as modem? my gf has just moved and does not have internet yet

ta

I'm not 100% but my guess would be no, the bluetooth function is only for headsets, and I'd guess the only accessibility via the USB would be for iTunes.

silly question but!! can you link the iphone to a laptop and use it as modem? my gf has just moved and does not have internet yet

ta

Yes, if you jailbreak the phone (piece of piss, see elsewhere in this thread) and then download the modem app. Its fast as well, when I had router problems I used the iPhone off my main PC and you couldnt tell the difference.

Only problem is you cant charge the phone at the same time (some daft bug) so it drains the battery, maybe 1 hour or so use at a time.

ta

Yes, if you jailbreak the phone (piece of piss, see elsewhere in this thread) and then download the modem app. Its fast as well, when I had router problems I used the iPhone off my main PC and you couldnt tell the difference.

Only problem is you cant charge the phone at the same time (some daft bug) so it drains the battery, maybe 1 hour or so use at a time.

I've never had a problem charging it while using it as a modem. I use PDANet to connect, don't know if that makes a difference.

ta

I've never had a problem charging it while using it as a modem. I use PDANet to connect, don't know if that makes a difference.

hmmm thats what I use, they must have fixed the bug :lol:

Just picked up a white 16gb 3G today

:superman2sa2:

Lovely. To store all those films :lol:

VideoVault is the App of choice for keeping those "special" films private B)

Will that adversely affect jail broken phones at all?

Yes, dont update until the new version of the Jailbreak has been developed and fully tested. Its probably time I updated my firmware to the last one (2.3?) and then rejailbroke it as Im running on the older version.

And yes ChriszyD Shazam is class, also Last.fm is good too.