Owen to delay decision until summer

Matty

Owen delays decision until summer

Newcastle striker Michael Owen has said he will not make a decision about his future until the end of the season.

By that time, the 29-year-old will be out of contract at St James's Park and free to leave for another club.

However, Magpies manager Joe Kinnear recently said he was "optimistic" Owen would stay, having been offered a new three-year contract at the club.

And Owen's announcement seems to ensure he will not leave the club in January, despite links to Liverpool and Chelsea.

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7780414.stm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't blame him at all tbh.

How could you possibly commit to the club at the minute when everything is so uncertain.

Unless your shite and have no other option......

57 appearances for Newcastle in 3 years whilst collecting £105k a week.

Howay man, it wasn't his fault that he broke his foot and that his career nearly ended with that cruciate injury.

Howay man, it wasn't his fault that he broke his foot and that his career nearly ended with that cruciate injury.

I'm not suggesting it's any ones fault, I'm saying for a player of that wage we have yet to see great value for money, in 3 years we've seen arguably one seasons worth of football, and that is a factor you have to accept with Michael Owen.

Do you seriously expect him to commit another 3 years of his career to us by way of apology for getting injured?

Apparently you don't so I'm gonna let you off. :lol:

I wouldn't have expected him to do anything else. He probably doesn't want to spend the rest of his days playing for a club which is going to be battling against relegation each season and while we have the money and guarantee of first team football we lack any sort of stability behind the scenes or plan for the future.

If we kick on this season, show ambition in January and somehow manage to finish in the top half I imagine he'll be more than happy to stay. If not you can't blame him for looking at his options.

I'm not suggesting it's any ones fault, I'm saying for a player of that wage we have yet to see great value for money, in 3 years we've seen arguably one seasons worth of football, and that is a factor you have to accept with Michael Owen.

What's the goals/games ratio?

I just hope we don't sell him out of spite in January. If he stays til the end of the season, and then decides to go then who could blame him?

That's one fear I have, although if MA is telling the truth for once and JFK has full control then I really don't think he'd let him go. If he does go because Ashley & co. fancy getting a few million for him I fully expect JFK to do a Keegan, as we know he doesn't like to have a fool made out of him and he's arguably done enough in his short stint here to land him a cushy Championship job.

I just hope we don't sell him out of spite in January. If he stays til the end of the season, and then decides to go then who could blame him?

If Man City offer 10 million he's as good as gone. 3 million on a French or Spanish unknown and another 7 million in the fat cunts back pocket