Given Staying

Happy Face

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear insists goalkeeper Shay Given will not be leaving St James' Park in January.

In recent weeks, Arsenal and Tottenham have both been linked with a transfer window move for the 32-year-old.

But Kinnear told The Journal: "He won't be leaving - he has no interest in that whatsoever. He loves the football club.

"He's part of the city and that suits us because he's a world-class goalkeeper. He's very happy here, he's very comfortable at Newcastle United."

Speculation surrounding Given's future increased after he produced a series of magnificent saves during the Magpies' 5-1 defeat by Liverpool on Sunday.

That performance led Kinnear to hail the Republic of Ireland international as the best goalkeeper in the Premier League.

"Shay's performance against Liverpool was brilliant and that got picked up on," added Kinnear.

"But ask the Geordie fans and I think they already knew how good he is. They know their football, so to be one of their favourites says it all about how good he is.

"He's the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by a mile."

Newcastle have some strength in the goalkeeping position, with Given's long-term deputy Steve Harper currently in discussions over a new contract.

However, Kinnear is determined to hold on to his best players, including England striker Michael Owen whose contract expires in the summer, as he attempts to steer the club away from the bottom half of the table.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7805887.stm

At Arsenal he would be second or third choice keeper and most likely spend the rest of his career on the bench.

At Spurs he would be in the same position as he is here i.e strong possibillity of playing in the championship next season. Also he would not have the respect he has here.

At the end of the day its his decision obviously, if it was any of us it would be no way but we dont know what may make his mind up one way or the other.

Certainly if we are to remain in the Premiership its vital he stays.

At Arsenal he would be second or third choice keeper and most likely spend the rest of his career on the bench.

At Spurs he would be in the same position as he is here i.e strong possibillity of playing in the championship next season. Also he would not have the respect he has here.

At the end of the day its his decision obviously, if it was any of us it would be no way but we dont know what may make his mind up one way or the other.

Miles better than Almunia.

I disagree totally, if it was me and I was first choice keeper for my country Id be wanting to at least win something to show for my career.

:icon_lol: lets ignore the fact he is better than Aluminium, who is Arsenals second choice keeper?

Fabianski, all the Polish people rave on about him like he is Lev Yashin but whenever I have seen him, he looks gash!

Has anything Kinnear has said so far happened btw?

"He won't be leaving - he has no interest in that whatsoever. He loves the football club.

"He's part of the city and that suits us because he's a world-class goalkeeper. He's very happy here, he's very comfortable at Newcastle United."

chemicalali.jpg