Bye then

nufc4ever

Whisper it quietly but he deserves better than what we can offer for a player of his ability at this stage of his career.

You can see why he wants to go.

The problem is that also applies to most of our 10 remaining players as well.

It's beginning to look irrelevant if we stay up or not this season, as we'll soon be challenging for mid-table Championship in a few seasons unless something MAJOR changes as the club. :icon_lol:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of stick Given is getting for this. He's spat his dummy out and got his agent working on a move without officially putting in a transfer request yet he's going to be treated like some sort of martyr? This is totally unprofessional and he should be fined. Publicly touting yourself to other clubs through your lawyer ffs. And don't give me the 10 loyal years bollocks either, he's been quick twice to hoy transfer requests in when Harpers been in favour.

SLP Man I am suprised with this coming from you.

Bollocks, if he wants away then I don't have a problem with it. It's the way he's done it thats fucked me off.

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of stick Given is getting for this. He's spat his dummy out and got his agent working on a move without officially putting in a transfer request yet he's going to be treated like some sort of martyr? This is totally unprofessional and he should be fined. Publicly touting yourself to other clubs through your lawyer ffs. And don't give me the 10 loyal years bollocks either, he's been quick twice to hoy transfer requests in when Harpers been in favour.

I've said this about Given before, he's always been quick to chuck his toys out of the pram when thing weren't going his way, they worrying thing is if he's at this stage publicly, then I bet there's a lot of our player at this stage privately.

Having said that it's still hard to blame him at this moment (or Owen or any of the rest that will be high tailing it in January or the summer) for wanting out........ although you're right that his methods are pretty low.

And it's another of our few remaining top draw player going out of the door..... we aren't going to be what we were for most of the 90's and up till a few years ago..... we're looking like we're heading in the direction of pre-Keegan and Hall & co. :icon_lol:

Some of the idiots like Baggio are maybe going to get an appreciation of what they did for the club.... assuming they don't swap loyalties. :icon_lol:

Edited by Fop

Guest Stevie

With this I don't see much difference between Newcastle United and Notts County. Both black and white, both shite, both owned by wanks, both clubs no one decent wants to play for, both ambling around with no direction.

If it was me being geordie I would never leave due to blind loyalty, but maybe over the last three years Shay has been blinded by loyalty, I feel so bad for Shay I almost would like him to leave in some respects to get the honours he has always deserved. I've said it loads of times on here, and said it for eight years he's the best keeper in Europe bar none, as countless high ranking individuals have mentioned. I hope he goes to a foreign club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...t.html?ITO=1490
Given needs to go: Toon turmoil is driving Shay out, claims lawyer's bombshell statement

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 11:42 PM on 01st January 2009

Newcastle were rocked on Thursday night as Shay Given’s future was thrown into doubt after 459 appearances for the club.

Given’s lawyer, Michael Kennedy, took the unusual step of releasing a statement that will surely bring to an end the goalkeeper’s loyal 11-year stay at St James’ Park under nine managers.

Kennedy said: ‘Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend.

‘It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

'Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham.’

Kennedy, who also represents Roy Keane, is notoriously reluctant to speak publicly, so this is a sign of Given’s unhappiness with Newcastle’s season and of their prospects.

No bid for Given has been officially confirmed but Newcastle and the player face a decision as to whether Given appears in the FA Cup third round at Hull City on Saturday.

:icon_lol:

isn't this what I've basically said on NO and you're telling me to go to pm with it ?

The main thrust of the statement is that NUFC is in a right mess. Not going to help us in attracting other players and makes Given a whistleblower, but can any of us really blame him when we all know what a fucking mess Kashley has put us in, and I think the footballing world knows this too.

Harper is good enough like, said for years if he got a good run he'd get in the England squad, maybe a silver lining there.

Edited by trophyshy

The main thrust of the statement is that NUFC is in a right mess. Not going to help us in attracting other players and makes Given a whistleblower, but can any of us really blame him when we all know what a fucking mess Kashley has put us in, and I think the footballing world knows this too.

Harper is good enough like, said for years if he got a good run he's get in the England squad, maybe a silver lining there.

The problem is we've been spoilt with Harper and Given, but with just Harper (who is out of contract this year isn't he? So assuming we can get him to extend), we're in a much weaker position unless our back up is as good.

Unless January is amazing then by next autumn we might have trouble filling out a 1st team with anything approaching quality never mind a paper thin squad.

We're not looking to do an Arsenal we're looking like we're going to do a Derby/Ipswich/Leicester insert your failed club of choice that returns to the Championship and more or less languishes there.

I think, as others have said, the worst thing about this is that it highlights what the club must be like behind the scenes (pretty much how most of us guessed it was) and if someone like Given wants out then he won't be the last by any means.

I don't blame him at all. He deserves to win things, and has shown a tremendous loyalty to stick with us for this long with nothing to show for it (apart from our appreciation of him as fans). It would be sad if a player of his calibre were to retire having won no major honours, so I don't blame him at all.

His (lawyer's) statement just shows what a shambles the club is in. No one seems to know what's going on. Joe Kinnear obviously has no idea about how the club is being run, or how his players feel. It's an absolute embarrassment, and if Mike Ashley is sticking around he needs to get his arse in gear and clean up this mess fast.

Mike Teesdale (NUSC) was just on 5live. Spoke very well. Message was communication with players and fans is fucked, Kashley needs to start communicating. As if that's gonna happen like. He couldn't give a flying fuck about any of us. :icon_lol:

Edited by trophyshy

What's interesting is that every time the "Shay to leave" rumours have surfaced over the last five years, we've (mostly) thrown our hands up and said "OK, we'd rather he stayed, but we wouldn't blame him...", knowing full well that he'd feel the pull of loyalty and stick around for more punishment. I just wonder what the reaction will be when our bluff is finally called.

A player thats been nothing but loyal for the last 11 years and is 1 season away from the all time appearance record coming out and saying this club is completely in the shit on and off the pitch isn't going to attract any players. This'll be a bad transfer window for us - we're currently scouting championship players and a good 3-4 first team players will be off. Got to love what this club has become

A player thats been nothing but loyal for the last 11 years and is 1 season away from the all time appearance record coming out and saying this club is completely in the shit on and off the pitch isn't going to attract any players. This'll be a bad transfer window for us - we're currently scouting championship players and a good 3-4 first team players will be off. Got to love what this club has become

Careful now.

too be honest its not a big a blow as it could be, Harper is more than an able replacement - Krul and Forster looks like great youngsters. I think he could demand at least £15m. Downside it might mean all the others jump ship too

too be honest its not a big a blow as it could be, Harper is more than an able replacement - Krul and Forster looks like great youngsters. I think he could demand at least £15m. Downside it might mean all the others jump ship too

The statement about the ruinous situation at the club could well scupper incoming signings. It's a massive fuck up for NUFC, I'm certain his lawyer will have considered this and advised Shay accordingly. Shay is that pissed off with things he's prepared to blow the whistle when he could have just handed a transfer request in, did he need to say this to justify himself to us? Perhaps he felt this was all he could do to alarm the owner as to how fucked things are. Just how shitty is the communication at NUFC?

Dark, dark days.

Edited by trophyshy

Gutted but fair play tbh.

If the club's most loyal player has called time then you begin to suspect that it's complete carnage behind the scenes right now amongst the more mercenary element.

i suppose you cant really blame him for wanting to leave, but my main gripe would be with the timing of his announcement. Why declare that you want to leave the day before the 3rd round of the FA cup. The only thing we have a chance (albeit very little chance) of winning something.

Given wont go. It's just sabre rattling following JFK's statement about Given not going anywhere due to the love of the club; Shay has obviously been annoyed at Kinnear speaking so confidently/smugly.

I agree that I dont think Given will leave. I would believe the statement more if it was a direct quote from Given himself!

I don't believe Given deserves any stick over this one. When he spat his dummy out about not playing in the past you point the finger at him but not now. The club is a shambles and we have nothing to look forward to any more, Shearer wouldn't have stayed with the club in the state it is now. Players of the calibre of Given and Owen are going to be a thing of the past, championship players will be the norm and the threat of relegation will remain until we are in fact relegated. It's like the days of Seymore and McKeag all over again.

If I was Ferguson, Wenger or Benitez I would be straight in for him but I couldn't blame him for going to Citeh or Spuds because while they are far from great, they at least are trying to push on. We look like we've just given it up as a bad job now.

Given wont go. It's just sabre rattling following JFK's statement about Given not going anywhere due to the love of the club; Shay has obviously been annoyed at Kinnear speaking so confidently/smugly.

I agree that I dont think Given will leave. I would believe the statement more if it was a direct quote from Given himself!

Who do you think is behind the statement like?

Do people really think he will stay if we get a good bid for him?

Kashley will instruct JK to sell. JK probably knows this is the only way he can buy in other areas.

Sell off the best (and most expensive to maintain) assets where possible and profitable, make efficiency savings across the board, get in the cheapest staff to do an 'adequate' job.

I think the best we can hope for is survival this season and next and next with this regime.