Bye then

nufc4ever

At least Man City are looking like a club who may be going somewhere after a couple of transfer windows, at this stage of Shay´s career I really can´t blame him. It´s also unfortunate timing, coming after the Liverpool game when he has shown just how important he could be to us.

More importantly for me is that what sort of message does this send out to other our decent players? (The few that we have). The beginning of the end for me.

Edited by ewerk

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want him to go but I don't feel we owe him anything. He's paid a fortune to play for our great club, we're quits on that front.

This kind of thing doesn't really help when we're in a transfer window where we need to get bodies in. First Keegan, now Given. They're putting themselves first so I don't really have any warm "thanks for deeming us worthy of your services" type feelings.

First Keegan, now Given. They're putting themselves first so I don't really have any warm "thanks for deeming us worthy of your services" type feelings.

Think just how pissed off we are as fans, now think how pissed off he must be as a player. Going from the Champions League / UEFA Cup etc. to spending the majority of the recent league campaigns finishing in the bottom half. It's easy saying to have a go at him for putting himself first but it's got to the point in his career where he needs to start putting himself first.

Edited by ewerk

Given wont go. It's just sabre rattling following JFK's statement about Given not going anywhere due to the love of the club; Shay has obviously been annoyed at Kinnear speaking so confidently/smugly.

I agree that I dont think Given will leave. I would believe the statement more if it was a direct quote from Given himself!

Who do you think is behind the statement like?

Probably steve harper! haha

First Keegan, now Given. They're putting themselves first so I don't really have any warm "thanks for deeming us worthy of your services" type feelings.

Think just how pissed off we are as fans, now think how pissed off he must be as a player. Going from the Champions League / UEFA Cup etc. to spending the majority of the recent league campaigns finishing in the bottom half. It's easy saying to have a go at him for putting himself first but it's got to the point in his career where he needs to start putting himself first.

Aye

If you in your own life for example worked for a good steady company rising and then goto took over and dropped etc etc There comes to a time where if youre ambitious you want to look elsewhere to better yourself. Thats all Given is doing, hes been loyal so far. Football is a very short career, he doesnt need money so its not about that.

If you would rather work in a shit office then fair play, but I dont blame him.

I don't want him to go but I don't feel we owe him anything. He's paid a fortune to play for our great club, we're quits on that front.

This kind of thing doesn't really help when we're in a transfer window where we need to get bodies in. First Keegan, now Given. They're putting themselves first so I don't really have any warm "thanks for deeming us worthy of your services" type feelings.

If things had went wrong for Keegan this season due to not having the playing personnel that we required, who would have got the flack for it? Keegan that's who. Not the people responsible for that. I don't blame him for walking at all, why should he have stayed in such conditions?

Joe Kinnear: Shay Given is going nowhere

Jan 2 2009 By Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JOE Kinnear has re-iterated that Shay Given is not for sale.

The Toon goalkeeper's lawyer released a statement that suggested he was ready to quit Newcastle United late last night despite claims from Kinnear earlier this week he wasn't prepared to let Given go.

Now Kinnear has hit back by telling Arsenal, Spurs and Man City they are wasting their time by trying to sign Given.

He said today: "I'm not sure Shay has said that, he is contracted until 2011 he's our player and he will stay our players.

"I had a chat and a cup of coffee with Shay this morning, he is fine.

"We rang the guy who made the statement and asked him why.

"Nobody phoned me about it - it is hearsay.

"This is the last time I will say it.

"He's the best keeper in the league so why change that?

"He trained well today and I want to keep my best players, I won't weaken our chances."

And speaking on players coming in Kinnear says he may have to go back to the drawing board after being linked with several Championship.

He added: "It's tough at the moment because the players we want will not be released by the clubs they are at.

"We will move on and chance our arm elsewhere."

Edited by Matty

After hearing what Roy Keane had to say about Michael Kennedy I'm fairly sure he's not the type to come out with this sort of statement for the sake of it, I'd wager that it's a case of Kinnear pulling a Comical Ali stunt.

Wenger has said he's not interested so it looks like Given's agent is talking shite.

I don't think the statement was because he wants to leave, if that was the case then he would have just put in a transfer request, his statement is just a step up from the usual comments he's made every transfer window for the past 3 years about the squad not being big enough.

He will hope to get more of a response from this.

After hearing what Roy Keane had to say about Michael Kennedy I'm fairly sure he's not the type to come out with this sort of statement for the sake of it, I'd wager that it's a case of Kinnear pulling a Comical Ali stunt.

Exactly right

And speaking on players coming in Kinnear says he may have to go back to the drawing board after being linked with several Championship.

He added: "It's tough at the moment because the players we want will not be released by the clubs they are at.

"We will move on and chance our arm elsewhere."

Well who saw that coming? :icon_lol: Give Willie McKay a bell Joe, he'll help you out

Wenger has said he's not interested so it looks like Given's agent is talking shite.

I don't think the statement was because he wants to leave, if that was the case then he would have just put in a transfer request, his statement is just a step up from the usual comments he's made every transfer window for the past 3 years about the squad not being big enough.

Everything's hunky dory :icon_lol:

Arsene Wenger has denied claims that Arsenal have made enquiries about Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given.

The Arsenal boss said he held the Irishman in ‘high regard’ but was not on the lookout for another goalkeeper.

Wenger dismissed the statement made by Given’s lawyer, Michael Kennedy, who claimed Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham were interested in the 32-year-old goalkeeper, who has become disillusioned after 11 years at St James' Park.

Speaking ahead of Arsenal’s FA Cup third round meeting with Championship side Plymouth on Saturday, Wenger said: ‘We have not made any enquiry about Shay Given. I don’t know who he has spoken to at the club but it is not me.

‘It doesn’t annoy me and it is part of agent’s statements. I don't believe it helps you, but I believe it is what we call in this job “normal business” and we have to deal with that.

‘I believe that what is important is what happens inside the club. You want the inside of the club to deal well with what people say and what the comments are.

‘I have high regards for Shay Given as a player but we do not look for a goalkeeper.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...n.html?ITO=1490

Everything's hunky dory :icon_lol:

aye, everything has gone just great.

Arsene Wenger has denied claims that Arsenal have made enquiries about Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given.

The Arsenal boss said he held the Irishman in ‘high regard’ but was not on the lookout for another goalkeeper.

Wenger dismissed the statement made by Given’s lawyer, Michael Kennedy, who claimed Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham were interested in the 32-year-old goalkeeper, who has become disillusioned after 11 years at St James' Park.

Speaking ahead of Arsenal’s FA Cup third round meeting with Championship side Plymouth on Saturday, Wenger said: ‘We have not made any enquiry about Shay Given. I don’t know who he has spoken to at the club but it is not me.

‘It doesn’t annoy me and it is part of agent’s statements. I don't believe it helps you, but I believe it is what we call in this job “normal business” and we have to deal with that.

‘I believe that what is important is what happens inside the club. You want the inside of the club to deal well with what people say and what the comments are.

‘I have high regards for Shay Given as a player but we do not look for a goalkeeper.’

Aye because Wenger was going to come out and say that he's actively looking for a replacement for Almunia. :icon_lol:

Aye because Wenger was going to come out and say that he's actively looking for a replacement for Almunia. :icon_lol:

of course he would, everybody does, or they get their DOF to make the signing and tell the manager later.

If he actually thinks Almunia is better than Given he's an idiot, which we know he isn't. It's natural he would keep quiet until he's ready to make a move. Probably though he imagines he'll be priced out of Given and doesn't even want to bother.

It's Man City we should be worrying about, they don't have anyone close to Given's quality and they've got money to burn.

Daily Mail

Manchester City are ready to make Newcastle United a £10million offer they cannot refuse for unhappy goalkeeper Shay Given, pictured in training on Friday.

Despite manager Joe Kinnear insisting Newcastle would keep Given until the end of his contract in 2011, owner Mike Ashley may not be able to turn down a bid for a player who has loyally served the club for more than 11 years.

Given, who has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Arsenal, rocked Newcastle yesterday with a carefully prepared statement from his lawyer Michael Kennedy, in which he said he was 'despondent' following the humiliating 5-1 defeat to Liverpool, in which he excelled.

The Republic of Ireland international is ready to end his long spell at St James' Park and City manager Mark Hughes is prepared to match Newcastle's inflated asking price and the 32-year-old's £70,000- a-week

News of Given's unhappiness clearly caught his boss off guard on Friday and Kinnear claimed the keeper was happy to stay on Tyneside. 'I have not got any unhappy players here and no one has told me anything different,' he said. 'You are presuming the statement was sanctioned by Shay and I am quite happy with what Shay told me.

"if" he is to go I just hope it is for a crazy fee.

It's annoying... of the 3 clubs that were mentioned I hope he goes to Arsenal, but they are the ones least likely to pay crazy money.

This is depressing the hell out of me.

Shay's Lawyer says one thing and Kinnear says another.

I wish we could just get it settled.

If he went to Arsenal* or Man City* I could take it but I would feel betrayed if he went to Tottenham to compete for 'Major honours'.

*Who are going places seemingly...