Redundancies

Tooj

Quick question for everyone. I am due to be officially made redundant on the 7th November. Yet they also have to pay me an extra week and a day in lieu which takes me to the 15th November. Yet I also have a new job to start and ideally want to start that on Monday 9th November. Would this mean that my week in lieu won't be paid? Or can I not start my job till the 16th November?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for everyone. I am due to be officially made redundant on the 7th November. Yet they also have to pay me an extra week and a day in lieu which takes me to the 15th November. Yet I also have a new job to start and ideally want to start that on Monday 9th November. Would this mean that my week in lieu won't be paid? Or can I not start my job till the 16th November?

I think you'll be fine to start your new job but you'll just pay a shit load of tax for that week. Worth checking with someone who knows what they're actually talking about though.

• 3 weeks later...

Start my new job on Wednesday. :razz:

A few people I know work there already though and said the IT side of things is quite strict to bye bye spending all day on the web. :D

How do redundancies work in the UK?

Are you entitled to anything?

Unless I'm mistaken, if you have worked for a company for more than six months you are entitled to redundancy. I think some unscrupulous tossers used to dish out six month contracts at one point in an attempt to get around it - though this has probably been outlawed by now.

So long since I 'studied' (read, more like with little going in) this stuff that I'm probably talking shite. No change there, then :razz:

Unless I'm mistaken, if you have worked for a company for more than six months you are entitled to redundancy. I think some unscrupulous tossers used to dish out six month contracts at one point in an attempt to get around it - though this has probably been outlawed by now.

So long since I 'studied' (read, more like with little going in) this stuff that I'm probably talking shite. No change there, then :razz:

The missus got canned before she came back from maternity leave.

Statutory redundancy pay is (a minimum of)2 weeks wages for every year you've worked with the company.

I think you only get statutory if you have been working with the company for more than two years.

my turn now ! got notice today, we can apply for 'new' jobs which are the same as we do now but with different job title, bad days :-(

Sorry to hear that. Our place has just announced a round of Q1 redundancies in 2010 too. It must be the 7th or 8th quarter in a row. After they cut salaries last year saying it would avoid the need for redundancies and taking away final salary pension arrangements and performance benefits worth about £2,000 each.

Still, it's pushed the stock price to a 2 year high, to a level it only attained for a period of 3 months in 2008 at the peak of the bubble. Executive bonuses in the tens of millions for riding us through the difficult times are what's called for. [/sarcasm]

The union are going to begin an industrial action ballot.

We're absolutely chocka until march next year and I've got people asking me to do work on the violin as well, can't complain.

well i suppose snow white does need help in panto season

We're absolutely chocka until march next year and I've got people asking me to do work on the violin as well, can't complain.

:lol::rolleyes::huff:

Bastard Paddy, it's not big and it's not clever mocking the afflicted :lol:

Bastard Paddy, it's not big and it's not clever mocking the not big and not clever :rolleyes:

FYP. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Had an interview on tuesday and got offered the job today.

I even had the cheek to ask for more money. :D (and got some)

Its basically the same as what i'm doing just now but more in depth and more roles. however i'll now be staff instead of a contractor so i'm getting a slighty better deal money/Benefits wise. (All though I would have still liked more money. :icon_lol: )

They have a place down in Gateshead. Mentioned in interview that I would be first in line for that one. Turns out one of the guys mum is from Newcastle. But he was a Leeds fan.

Don't start till the new year though. Current boss is sad to see me leave. but he has his hands tied at the moment and he said he was wondering when I would be heading off, such is the talent and generally nice guy to work with with that I'm.

Don't worry I don't have to pass any grammer tests to get the job. :D

Following on from my earlier posts, Q4 results are just out and we reported a $3.4billion profit in the last quarter. A Billion more than expected. 18% profit growth.

At the same time we announced a pay freeze for the fourth year running. and further compulsory redundancies.

I therefore voted Yes/Yes in the strike ballot that followed.

Edited by Happy Face

Had an interview on tuesday and got offered the job today.

I even had the cheek to ask for more money. :icon_lol: (and got some)

Its basically the same as what i'm doing just now but more in depth and more roles. however i'll now be staff instead of a contractor so i'm getting a slighty better deal money/Benefits wise. (All though I would have still liked more money. :puke: )

They have a place down in Gateshead. Mentioned in interview that I would be first in line for that one. Turns out one of the guys mum is from Newcastle. But he was a Leeds fan.

Don't start till the new year though. Current boss is sad to see me leave. but he has his hands tied at the moment and he said he was wondering when I would be heading off, such is the talent and generally nice guy to work with with that I'm.

Don't worry I don't have to pass any grammer tests to get the job. :D

Decent news this week for me as well this week, looks like i'm in for a 10k lump sum and a 2k pay increase in the new year

Goods new mate. :D

Hmm.. I think multinationals like that always "embrace" a recession as an excuse to take the piss out of staff.

I've never understood why capitalists love to cut jobs for "efficiency" - we have a staff freeze on at the moment which just means people want to leave more leading to more pressure on those who stay - theres no way it can improve profits.