Redundancies

Tooj

Shit mate, sorry.

Move to London. :cry:

"Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway."

:(

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 people on our team at the start of the month.

12 left now.

Despite posting strong third quarter results.

Every company is using the downturn as a excuse to streamline, even those unaffected. It's what sees economists reporting a "recovery" as the markets grow beyond the levels they peaked at 12 months ago, even while unemployment continues to rise.

Shit will hit the fan Aprilish when the new cash injection runs out. :cry:

25 people on our team at the start of the month.

12 left now.

Despite posting strong third quarter results.

Every company is using the downturn as a excuse to streamline, even those unaffected. It's what sees economists reporting a "recovery" as the markets grow beyond the levels they peaked at 12 months ago, even while unemployment continues to rise.

In my industry there is a LOT of shite on good money and this has played into some employers hands. As soon as it kicks off again a lot of people will have changed careers and the gash will be back on decent money again :(

I'm not so fussed about cutting loose the dead weight to tell the truth. I've not stressed too much about it because I know I'm good at my job (I'd have to be to get away with 5 hours a day on here :cry: ), but they've also forced a 5% pay cut across the board to "remain competetive" and "position ourselves to remain at #1 after the recovery".

It's a permanant cut, and the policy is not to reward performance with a raise, but with a bonus, so it's difficult to get that pensionable salary back any time in the future. It's utter bullshit, luckily we can refuse it in the UK. They're not so lucky in the US though. The top directors are taking the cut too, but their bonuses this year will be $30m+ for coping so well with the downturn. Their basic salary is less than 10% of their total income so their cut works out way under 1%.

The joy of capitalism.

Since my course is all but done (I don't need to set foot anywhere near Sunderland until my graduation in mid-July) i'm applying for jobs this week. Lots and lots of jobs actual, real, proper, 9-5, Monday to Friday jobs :(

The sad smilie isn't down to the fact i'm gutted to be leaving my cushy life as a scratter student, if anything i'm looking forward to getting out into the big, wide world, but more to do with the fact that the vocation i've chose to study has fuck all in the way of jobs going at the moment. I've cast my net a little wider and now i'm looking away from journalism towards PR.

Any suggestions for what to include in a CV? I'm pretty happy with mine but it can always do with fine tuning so if anyone has any ways to make me look like a bloody God feel free to tell me :cry:

PR companies generally want some journo experience mate- it's a Catch 22. It's a bit of a nightmare of an industry at the moment (more so than usual!)- you considered freelancing or going for any graduate programmes- I know Trinity Mirror and the Ronny Gill both do very well regarded ones. This is why I didn't do a journalism undergrad- in case the industry went tits up in the meantime!!

• 2 weeks later...
:)

Things are moving along nicely. Might have an update for you scrotes tomorrow after about 3ish

It would have been the 'pimms drinking shithouse' comment I made that gave you a head start on the other candidates, they can tell from that comment that you truly are an individual who will go far.

Good luck

If you say you're going to let people know if they've got the job on Thursday, you don't take that Thursday off!! :lol: Been stressing all morning and now I won't find out until tomorrow! People exist to infuriate me! FFS :D

If you say you're going to let people know if they've got the job on Thursday, you don't take that Thursday off!! :lol: Been stressing all morning and now I won't find out until tomorrow! People exist to infuriate me! FFS :D

Why did you take the day off to find out if you've got the job you spaka? Most people tend to just do that for interviews.

Why did you take the day off to find out if you've got the job you spaka? Most people tend to just do that for interviews.

... I didn't mutton chops. He did. Hence having to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Fish-Baiting Fail :lol:

It's just a Thursday job ?

Cheers fella. Seriously bricking it, first job I've truly wanted in a long time.

I think the overwhelming love and support shown to me on here should definitely count in my favour... :lol:

:D

Cheers fella. Seriously bricking it, first job I've truly wanted in a long time.

I think the overwhelming love and support shown to me on here should definitely count in my favour... :lol:

Here's some Fish love

fish-love.jpg

Good luck mate :lol:

Not stressing about the demands of the role, mate. It's almost like this is the "perfect" job for me, at this time, in this place. Losing out would be gutting.

I'm normally pretty arrogant about my chances, but obviously the more you want something, the more nervous you are about missing out.

This may sound masochistic, but the stick I've been getting for other shit has taken my mind off it a bit.

That is not an invite, just an admission.

p.s. I also was hoping manctoon's implosion would distract me, but alex seems to have sewn it up pretty quick.

Not stressing about the demands of the role, mate. It's almost like this is the "perfect" job for me, at this time, in this place. Losing out would be gutting.

I'm normally pretty arrogant about my chances, but obviously the more you want something, the more nervous you are about missing out.

This may sound masochistic, but the stick I've been getting for other shit has taken my mind off it a bit.

That is not an invite, just an admission.

p.s. I also was hoping manctoon's implosion would distract me, but alex seems to have sewn it up pretty quick.

You foolish fish- Let the frivolities commence :lol: