Redundancies

Tooj

Awful down here, everytime I go into town there's another shop closed down. My brother is a carpenter, he was made redundant yesterday, we hoped this year would be a better one after the shit time we all had of it last year but my poor bruv has this to cope with now.

Hubby left his job of 29 years last April and set up his own garage, not great timing to be setting up on your own, but apart from a couple quiet weeks recently, he's doing ok thank god.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say I'm worried about my job too, not because I'm shit more because the construction and gas industry isn't on it's arse but it's toppling.

Have to say I'm worried about my job too, not because I'm shit more because the construction and gas industry isn't on it's arse but it's toppling.

The whole economy of the UK is virtually bust and bumping along the bottom of the trough. The thing that worries me is if the Yanks close their doors. I.e if they dont trade outside their country, if that happens the whole glabal econmy is FUCKED!

If change comes, embrace it fella. :icon_lol:

:D Spoken like a true silver-spooner. :D

We've been told we're getting a 5% pay cut across the board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...efer=industries

So HP buy up EDS. EDS is the only part of the the company that gives HP a profit. And they cut our pay.

B)

:icon_lol:

Just had a text off wor lad whinging about this. :D Fucking EDS. :D

If you REALLY want to cheer him up, send him this....

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2009/01/20/2522/#comment-1281

Mr Hurd's salary makes up $1.5Million of his $42.5Million income from HP.

That's 3%.

So his 20% salary cut equates to a 0.6% income cut.

So the grunts are taking a cut about 9 times higher than the boss.

It's a fucking disgrace.

For anyone being made redundant.

If there is nothing else in your line of work and the dole queue or bus driving is beckoning and your beginning to panic.....

If you drive, go to your local council, get a taxi badge, become self employed amd start taxi'ing. Forget what you may think of this line of work, it really is a fairly cushy job and the money is very good compared to an awful lot of jobs out there. Some lads easy taking a grand a week without killing themselves.

Naturally you have to put a bit to one side for Gordon and Alistair. :D

Save me a few years back.

Absolute horse shit.

My Dad's been driving a taxi for 15 years.

He made £36 on a nine hour shift yesterday, precisely because of the ridiculous growth in numbers from licenses being handed out willy nilly.

If change comes, embrace it fella. :icon_lol:

:D Spoken like a true silver-spooner. :D

Not at all mate, my company had some financial challenges that looked quite bad back in Nov.

I had to dig quite deep for new ideas and look at other things I was good at and work on those which I probably would

have neglected normally.

If there is nothing else in your line of work and the dole queue or bus driving is beckoning and your beginning to panic.....

If you drive, go to your local council, get a taxi badge, become self employed amd start taxi'ing. Forget what you may think of this line of work, it really is a fairly cushy job and the money is very good compared to an awful lot of jobs out there. Some lads easy taking a grand a week without killing themselves.

Absolute horse shit.

He made £36 on a nine hour shift yesterday, precisely because of the ridiculous growth in numbers from licenses being handed out willy nilly.

Dont know what to say to that. I dont work days during half term because it is quiter with the kids off. And no offence to your dad, but different offices produce different results and so do different drivers.

Even at the office I work for, there are drivers who make the £50 quids a shift and those who make the £100. Its no different to any line of work really.

Friday £230 dble shift 1pm -- midnight

Saturday £310 dble shift 1pm -- midnight

Sunday £220 dble shift 1pm -- midnight

Who does he work for?

You can certainly pull more in over the weekend (though I'm not sure that Sunday aftermnoon/night is as profitable as Friday.)

Even with your exaggerated figures, take off 30% for petrol, 15% for office subs, and 20% of what's left for tax and £230 is about £80.

For an 11 hour shift.

Naturally you have to put a bit to one side for Gordon and Alistair. :rolleyes:

Absolute horse shit.

Dont know what to say to that. I dont work days during half term because it is quiter with the kids off. And no offence to your dad, but different offices produce different results and so do different drivers.

Even at the office I work for, there are drivers who make the £50 quids a shift and those who make the £100. Its no different to any line of work really.

Who does he work for?

You can certainly pull more in over the weekend (though I'm not sure that Sunday aftermnoon/night is as profitable as Friday.)

Even with your exaggerated figures, take off 30% for petrol, 15% for office subs, and 20% of what's left for tax and £230 is about £80.

For an 11 hour shift.

First of all :D for the bold comment.

Sunday is tarrif 2 all day in south tyneside and is far busier than a friday night. Shields is dead on a friday night compared to a saturday and sunday is a big club day and night.

Figures quoted are after petrol deductions as i take them of each shift.

Office rent is 105 a week.

Apart from me B) find me a taxi driver who pays 20% tax and ill nip out and buy you next weeks winning lottery ticket.

Most taxi drivers wages, due to the low earnings :) are subsidised by Tax credits etc. Some I know with a couple of kids get £180.00 a week Tax credits.

The fucking purpose of the post was to genuinely help out any fucker who loses their job and is on skid row.

I went from nearly 100,000 a year to £50 dole with a nice big mortgage and it saved by bacon and still is, so take your fucking exagerated figures and go fuck yourself with them.

:D

Hit a nerve.

My dad works South Tyneside out of an office. He also has a Hackney plate so he should be earning as much as anyone else.

Certainly more than anyone finishing at midnight on a weekend B)

He's having to sell his plate because there's not enough business.

If you think there's plenty of money in it though, do you want buy it off him?

£13K

PM me if you're interested :icon_lol:

They make a fortune. There is one I know who moved back up here a few years ago but still works down there!

He makes good money anyway, but made an absolute mint the other week when the snow was down.

Some of the runs he gets, especially from heathrow runs and tourists are unbelievable.

My biggest fare was £80

I find it incredible to believe that you're a taxi driver encouraging others to muscle in on your trade.

Especially as you must have been doing it for years (if you have a hackney plate) and would have seen a massive drop in your income more recently.

You must be the ONLY driver recommending it...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...ark_cabbie_rush

"An average driver is having to work 16 hours a day to earn a reasonable living, and the situation is getting worse as more and more people come into the business."

"I would say to anyone considering it that if it keeps you from desperation and county court judgements, go for it. But don't think for one minute it will be an easy living."

I recall being in Copenhagen many moons ago, very drunk (well, steaming actually) and getting a taxi. When I arrived at my destination I thrust a wad of notes into the taxi driver's hand.

Woke up the next morning and realised I must have given the chap a bloody fortune! Ah, the delights of being 'tipsy' :D

I'm with Christmas Tree on this, a couple of my good mates are Taxi drivers and although they're are saying it's slow there not crying hard up.

Happy Face your fatha is lying to you, you weren't putting the bite on him at the time he fed you this bullshit were you?

I'm with Christmas Tree on this, a couple of my good mates are Taxi drivers and although they're are saying it's slow there not crying hard up.

Happy Face your fatha is lying to you, you weren't putting the bite on him at the time he fed you this bullshit were you?

:D

Nah, my mother always is though. :D

I'm not saying they earn a pittance by the way. I just know there's not "Some lads easy taking a grand a week without killing themselves." driving a taxi in South Tyneside.

Absolute horse shit.

Who does he work for?

For an 11 hour shift.

First of all :D for the bold comment.

Sunday is tarrif 2 all day in south tyneside and is far busier than a friday night. Shields is dead on a friday night compared to a saturday and sunday is a big club day and night.

Figures quoted are after petrol deductions as i take them of each shift.

Office rent is 105 a week.

Apart from me B) find me a taxi driver who pays 20% tax and ill nip out and buy you next weeks winning lottery ticket.

Most taxi drivers wages, due to the low earnings :icon_lol: are subsidised by Tax credits etc. Some I know with a couple of kids get £180.00 a week Tax credits.

The fucking purpose of the post was to genuinely help out any fucker who loses their job and is on skid row.

I went from nearly 100,000 a year to £50 dole with a nice big mortgage and it saved by bacon and still is, so take your fucking exagerated figures and go fuck yourself with them.

What exactly did you do to earn £100k pa?

To London cabbies do a real exam for 'the knowledge' or is it just a mythical status passed on to anyone with an AtoZ and right-wing views?

They do it. Apparently it takes about 1-2 years driving around on a moped.

To London cabbies do a real exam for 'the knowledge' or is it just a mythical status passed on to anyone with an AtoZ and right-wing views?

Monkey spunk?

Monkey spunk?

Take a right down Threadneedle Street and it's between Dark Hangman's Yard and Cocknose Lane.