Magpies confirm striker trial

Scottish Mag

Newcastle have confirmed they are handing a trial to Danish forward Peter Lovenkrands.

The former Rangers forward is on the lookout for a new club following his release from Schalke and he has pitched up on Tyneside.

Magpies chief Joe Kinnear is eager to bring in fresh blood and Lovenkrands will be given the chance to win a contract at St James’ Park.

“He's out of contract but he is coming in for us to have a look at,” said Kinnear’s assistant Chris Hughton.

"He is an experienced player with pace. So I think it gives us an opportunity to look at him.

"There is work going on behind the scenes to bring in the two or three players we need."

Ah, the amount of new players to be brought in is getting less each day again. Only a couple of days ago it were five players...

What's the odds that we'll have an even thinner squad come Feb 1st...

I swear they do it every year. What a joke.

As a free to add some depth, it's not too bad tbh.

I'd normally agree but this signing will be instead of signing a good player rather than in addition to signing one and could see us selling a striker / winger.

Also if we are are looking at out of favour players from Schalke I'd rather try us to sign Albert Streit on loan. He's a very creative player and was always very high in the assists rankings when playing regularly.

Just been watching a YouTube compilation of some of his Rangers moments and there is some decent stuff there. I know anyone can be made to look good in these compilations but i think it could be an ok short-term investment that will add creativity to our attacks. hopefully.

Just been watching a YouTube compilation of some of his Rangers moments and there is some decent stuff there. I know anyone can be made to look good in these compilations but i think it could be an ok short-term investment that will add creativity to our attacks. hopefully.

yeah he looks ok on there and can play with both feet.Hopefully someone who can take a free kick.

Some lovely throughballs in the middle of the pitch in that clip.

We can only dream of a midfield that can play throughballs atm.Ohhhh pls a midfielder who can fucking pass the ball.

We can only dream of a midfield that can play throughballs atm.Ohhhh pls a midfielder who can fucking pass the ball.

Even just a decent fuckin' corner!!!

A good friend of mine who's got a season ticket at Schalke says he's got a great character - he shuts up even when he's not playing, he's hard working, perfect on the break and he's decent in finishing. Only positive points - looking forward to see him. Could be a good choice, especially for away games.

Edited by KingKev