Alan Smith is staying!

andy_w_1986

Alan Smith insists he is happy at Newcastle and is prepared to fight for a first-team recall.

The 28-year-old joined the Magpies from Manchester United in 2007 in a £6million switch.

He enjoyed a productive first season on Tyneside, making 39 appearances for the club last term.

However, injuries have blighted his 2008/09 campaign and he is yet to get off the mark this year.

His lack of action has led to speculation linking him with a move to either Everton or Middlesbrough.

The combative midfielder has no desire to leave St James' Park, though, and is determined to silence those who continue to doubt his commitment to the club.

"There was speculation about going to Everton but that was never the case and I just want to make that clear - I never wanted to go anywhere," he told the club's official website.

"That's also been the case recently when I was linked with Middlesbrough. As soon as I spoke to the manager he said I was in his plans and I wanted to stay again because I've got a lot to offer this football club.

"Newcastle is the place where I want to play my football and I have got a point to prove to a few people."

Tough

The Magpies are currently languishing just two points above the Premier League relegation zone, but Smith is confident that Joe Kinnear has the talent at his disposal to pull clear of trouble.

"Last season was tough for everyone and people have realised it's going to be a difficult season this time around again," he added.

"If anyone doesn't already know it, we are in a relegation fight.

"There's no point in hiding it. The club knows that and we know it's a difficult period.

"We need everyone available and everyone playing. We need to roll our sleeves up and sacrifice ourselves for the team.

"The main aim is for this club to stay in the Premier League this year and then build and build again from there."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4862029,00.html

Phew now that is a relief, just like a new signing..............

Although Smith hasnt really impressed for us yet, suppose there are question marks as to whether he ever will, we arent particularly in the position to let experienced Premiership players leave as we all know they wont be replaced. Who knows fresh start, working under the sound guidance of the inspirational JFK perhaps we will see a new Smith......

combative midfielder really is a polite way of saying he's a rubbish midfielder.

ok, so he can't run, can't dribble and can't pass - what other adjective can we use that doesn't make him sound like a total donkey?

combative midfielder really is a polite way of saying he's a rubbish midfielder.

ok, so he can't run, can't dribble and can't pass - what other adjective can we use that doesn't make him sound like a total donkey?

Daftest part is, he can't tackle.

the worst bit is that we could actually really do with smith back at this stage just as an option. he'd be an automatic starter up front tbf with fatty viduka and martins both out

the worst bit is that we could actually really do with smith back at this stage just as an option. he'd be an automatic starter up front tbf with fatty viduka and martins both out

I think he's a decent enough option upfront tbf. Given our current situation anyway. He's back in full training btw.

What was it that Fergie saw in him?

you tell me. he runs around a lot i suppose. and he "wears his heart on his sleeve" (or in other words, gets sent off a lot)

fergie soon realised his error and disptached him though didn't he. even fergie get's it wrong sometimes

you tell me. he runs around a lot i suppose. and he "wears his heart on his sleeve" (or in other words, gets sent off a lot)

fergie soon realised his error and disptached him though didn't he. even fergie get's it wrong sometimes

Can't remember now but iirc it was talked up as a Keane replacement. B)

He did score a few goals for Leeds and Man U.

I've said before I always liked him as a player and have been just as disappointed with his time with us as anyone - we can just hope that the lay off and manager change may spark a change in form.

That injury at Liverpool has f-d him over to be fair. I always liked the look of him at Leeds as a striker, and the early days at ManU too.

Between the injury, and competition for places there though, he got bumped into midfield. At least he's an option for us at the miunte though, where we need all the fit players that we can get.

I seem to remember him having a stormer when ManU tonked Roma 7-1.

Its probably somewhat easier to play in Man Uniteds midfield than ours, ManU having a decent team including forwards who can score, defenders who can defend and midfielders with a bit of talent wouldnt leave him quite as exposed as he was with us. Oh yeah, a mamger witn a clue may have helped I imagine Fergie thought his workrate, ability to box to box, and experience as a goalscorer would work with his other players.

I seem to remember him having a stormer when ManU tonked Roma 7-1.

Its probably somewhat easier to play in Man Uniteds midfield than ours, ManU having a decent team including forwards who can score, defenders who can defend and midfielders with a bit of talent wouldnt leave him quite as exposed as he was with us. Oh yeah, a mamger witn a clue may have helped I imagine Fergie thought his workrate, ability to box to box, and experience as a goalscorer would work with his other players.

That was the last time he scored a competitive goal, and at the same time it was his first goal since November 2005. That's 2 goals in 38 months then.

I'd rather Martins got himself back on the pitch soon.