The biggest enemy is apathy

Park Life

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my whole problem with all the current suggestions is simple. Numbers.

50,000 marching great

50,000 t.shirts great

50,000 boycotting a game great

All of this would attract attention

Hundreds doing this will not.

Im not having a go at NUSC, at least they are trying. Just trying to suggest some other ideas that WILL get 50,000 joing in.

Yes you were. :lol:

"Yes you were"

And thats why a lot of people like me, wouldnt attend a bar shout in the Irish club. :lol:

I know you think you're being clever there but you had a pop at their methods and then said you weren't having a go at them. I agree with you about the membership thing though, that needs to be addressed.

We should have Mike Astley rickrollin campaign with the lyrics:

(lyrics are here http://www.mp3lyrics.org/r/rick-astley/nev...a-give-you-up/)

We're no strangers to love

You know the rules and so do I

A full commitment's what I'm thinking of

You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling

Gotta make you understand

Always gonna give you up

Always gonna let you down

Always gonna run around and desert you

Always gonna make you cry

Always gonna say goodbye

Always gonna tell a lie and hurt you

If we can't get 50,000 geordies belting out rick astley, then Mike has truly won!! :lol:

Fair cop, I was having a pop at the current tabled methods, BUT NOT the commitment of the lads and lasses trying to move mountains.

Ewerk

What do you think will work. And as ive said, no problems with protests just that tiny protests make the "cause" look small. Love to live in an ideal world where 10,000 would turn out, but they wont.

I appreciate you're actually trying to be constructive which is fair enough :lol:

Arguably the worst thing about Ashley et al is the in-fighting they have caused amongst fellow fans.

you cannot run the club without money that's one of the reasons for membership fees the other is credibility and that's more important than anything. Free membership will bring with it the makems and other organized spoliers. How can you have proper elections when people can rig them by creating multiple votes?

How can you issue newsletters, organise meetings, pay for subs into the FSA etc etc without the cash there?

I know you said rely on donations but what if they don't happen? What if we have 10k members but no funds, what if someone donates a grand a year but wants to influence the outcome of votes etc? To me the only credible and workable solution is what we are doing and to be fair the subscription is not the reason people haven't joined (and I do know this because I've asked them). Don't think however that this wasn't debated at the start, it was and heavily.

you cannot run the club without money that's one of the reasons for membership fees the other is credibility and that's more important than anything. Free membership will bring with it the makems and other organized spoliers. How can you have proper elections when people can rig them by creating multiple votes?

How can you issue newsletters, organise meetings, pay for subs into the FSA etc etc without the cash there?

I know you said rely on donations but what if they don't happen? What if we have 10k members but no funds, what if someone donates a grand a year but wants to influence the outcome of votes etc? To me the only credible and workable solution is what we are doing and to be fair the subscription is not the reason people haven't joined (and I do know this because I've asked them). Don't think however that this wasn't debated at the start, it was and heavily.

I dunno whether you read my suggestion in the t-shirt thread. Basically I mentioned that I thought it would be a good idea if for just one home game this season their was an amnesty on membership fees. Station a few dozen volunteers outside the ground or in bars prior to the game, clipboards in hand, who can ask people if they want to join for one year for free/take e-mail addresses etc.

I'd imagine that would increase membership massively, you'd get the right type of people wanting to join, it would increase word of mouth advertising plus you wouldn't totally be doing away with membership fees for others who want to join.

I dunno what you think of it but it seems workable to me.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Simple as - if they don't charge they can't progress and the very opinion they are trying to canvass will turn into a massive piss take from fans across the country.

Passion, fury and ideas: minutes from NUSC's latest meeting

George Caulkin

They came in their droves and nobody came alone; each person who stepped through the doors of the Tyneside Irish Centre carried with them love and commitment and decency. Some brought fury, some brought optimism and others desperation, some were moved to tears by the raw emotion. But nobody came alone. This was Newcastle, united.

How do you collate the views of supporters who can fill a 52,000-seat stadium? How do you represent the generation of fans who have been priced out of football, or the exiles spread around the world? How do you speak for them and decide what your aims should be? Can it even be done? Should a club which has consistently taken its core support for granted be confronted or engaged?

These were, and are, some of the difficult (and almost irreconcilable) questions facing the Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC), a body established in the wake of Kevin Keegan’s departure as manager this season and still in its formative stages. They were debated at a well-populated, articulate and spirited open meeting on Wednesday night. Here are some random observations.

1. Your club needs you. Grave concern was an obvious, overwhelming theme of the evening; concern that relegation is a real possibility, concern that Newcastle’s ownership has been more interested in asset-stripping than squad-building, concern that after too much grim football and too many broken promises, fellow supporters are on the brink of giving up and walking away.

2. Should I stay or should I go? How to channel that concern is a thorny problem. Boycott home matches? A divisive proposition impossible for most to contemplate – you support the shirt. Cancel season-ticket direct debits? A tactic which would hit Mike Ashley in the pocket, but would also mean sacrifice given that buying individual match tickets is more expensive.

3. Anger is an energy. Should the NUSC stand under a simple banner – Ashley out? Again, this is not a straightforward issue; not for everybody, anyway. On one hand, the evidence of incompetence is everywhere, from the £8 million profit made in the last transfer window, the league position, the baffling lack of communication, the botched appointment of a recruitment department.

For some, Ashley, Derek Llambias and Dennis Wise are symbols of a club which is self-destructing; reason enough to protest, demand their removal and call for change. And yet Ashley has already tried and failed to sell the club and that presents a dilemma. There are those who argue that attempting dialogue is the only sensible way forward. Finding consensus here is probably NUSC’s greatest challenge.

4. Where’s Waldo? Needless to say, Ashley did not buy a round of drinks at the Irish Centre; he seems to have stopped doing that. Wise wasn’t there. Neither was Llambias, although the hitherto invisible managing director will be answering questions from readers of two local newspapers on Friday. Some suggestions were made. Most of them were even printable.

On a related subject, here’s Joe Kinnear on Thursday morning. “The guys at the top know they need to communicate better, which is why they are speaking to the two local papers. I think they will sit down with supporters’ groups and fans and the people of Newcastle at the end of the season – I know they want to do that.” So why not now, when the loyalty of their supporters is needed more than ever?

5. NUSC 4 NUFC. The people running the supporters club are smart and enthusiastic, motivated by passion not ego. They have a committee, a treasurer, an official website (www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk) and many have lost money for a cause they believe in. It has taken time. The contributions of influential, independent voices such as true faith, The Mag and nufc.com have been vital.

6. Lights, camera, action. So what happens next? For one thing, visibility is required. The NUSC intends to remind people that it exists, that they have a collective voice. They will step up their media campaign. If invited, they will take their message into local communities, dispatching representatives to pubs and clubs to canvas support, raise awareness and ask for guidance.

On February 22, prior to the home game against Everton, there will be a rally (note the choice of word – rally) at the Monument in Newcastle’s city centre. A recommendation put forward at the meeting was that t-shirts promoting the NUSC could be distributed outside St James’ Park, issuing a statement to the Newcastle hierarchy. Look at us; you can’t ignore this.

7. There is power in a union. Why do we love football? Is it the escapism, the drama, the glitz and the talent? Or is it what Sir Bobby Robson has described as “the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city?” Perhaps some of those bonds are being stretched for Newcastle supporters, but there is an alternative to helplessness. It is fragile and these are early days, but it is there.

As Neil Mitchell, one of NUSC’s committee members, put it, “We’re tired of the divisions within the fanbase. It feels like divide and rule and these divisions are easily exploited by the club. There’s only one way to bring everyone together and that’s through having a shared voice. We want to find common ground, and move forward. If the Supporters’ Club can achieve that, then brilliant.”

There are common misconceptions about all supporters, but Newcastle’s have suffered from repeated, lazy stereotyping, particularly this season. In part, the club are to the blame for that – during Ashley’s tenure they have never attempted to promote a positive image of themselves, to fill the vacuum. But those stereotypes were never in evidence at the Irish Centre. Newcastle, united.

Zog on JFK:

"And he insists the silent treatment Kinnear gives his players is the reason he won't be having many sleepless nights if the Magpies do go down.

He said: 'I had to move. I have been there for four years and nothing changed. Every year they would say "we will do this" or "we will do that" but nothing ever happened.

'I don't want to play for to survive relegation, I want to play at a club that is playing at the top of the league.

'It is good to have a manager who cares about you and asks you how you are. Somone who can really help you because you need that to play your best football.

'There was no conversation with Kinnear at all. I maybe spoke to him when there was something bad or if I played okay but he never spoke to me to explain why I was on the bench or something like that. He was the same with everyone."

MIKE ASHLEY ( SAN QUENTIN /JOHNNY CASH)

Mike Ashley i hope Sports Direct is going bust

You conned Keegan and thats why youve lost our trust

You leaving town is now just simply a must

Mike Ashley i hate every inch of you

You conned me and you scarred me thru and thru

But ill walk away a wiser better fan

Mr Llambias you dont understand

Mike Ashley What good do you think you do?

Do you think we'll love you when youre thru?

You broke my heart and mind and warped my soul

Your sick lies turn my blood a little cold

Mike Ashley may you rot and burn in hell

May your empire fall and may i live to tell

May all the fans see you as a clown

And may all those fans boot your ass right out of town

Mike Ashley i hate every inch of you .....

Edited by Geordiejihad

Yesterday,

All our troubles seemed so far away,

Now it looks as though he's here to stay,

Oh, how I wish for yesterday.

Suddenly,

We're not half the club we used to be,

Relegations hanging over me,

Oh, yesterday before Ashley.

Why

Kev had to go I don't know, he wouldn't say.

Wise said,

Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

Football was such an easy game to play,

Now the mackems took 4 points away,

Oh, I believe in yesterday.

:lol:

We're caught in a trap

We can't boycott

Because we love the Toon so much

Why can't you see

What you're doing to me

When I don't believe a word you say?

We can't go on together

With suspicious minds

And we can't build our dreams

On suspicious minds

Etc Etc

:lol:

That's it you're going in the thickest poster thread!!