The biggest enemy is apathy

Park Life

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great meeting.

As I was listening I thought about what the t-shirts could be like. I had the idea of keeping the club colours but changing the stripes to show support but not conformity.

Anyway, here's a cacky sketch and feel free to ignore it. :lol:

nuscshirt1.jpg

One of the thickets over on N-O suggested that the t-shirts need to be any other colour than black and white and I actually agree. While it may seem sacreligious to some he does have a point as B&W will blend in too easily. Yellow or Red would stand out like a sore thumb and attract more attention.

+1

I hope there was more discussed than all wearing a cheesy t shirt like some 18-30s pub crawl. Did anyone bring up the Everton Boycott idea? Nowt would attract more attention than a sub 20k crowd at a live Sky Sports game. They would lap it up. Or is that too easy? I just cant see 1000 cheesy yellow t shirts scattered amongst a 50k crowd is going to make a blind bit of difference to anything

+1

I hope there was more discussed than all wearing a cheesy t shirt like some 18-30s pub crawl. Did anyone bring up the Everton Boycott idea? Nowt would attract more attention than a sub 20k crowd at a live Sky Sports game. They would lap it up. Or is that too easy? I just cant see 1000 cheesy yellow t shirts scattered amongst a 50k crowd is going to make a blind bit of difference to anything

The team we put out deserves full support. So imo it's counterproductive at this point to mess with the games.

T-shirts is highly visible thing and will spread and be a source of income.

No pies etc is also good.

The next thing is NUSC must find a consistent line and broadly agreed platform.

I despair. If you honestly expect more than 1-2000 at the very most to buy one of those t shirts youre being optimistic. We already tried the no pies thing, it failed miserably. We may as well go back to the black armbands, cardboard coffin idea :lol:

+1

I take your point but we can't really afford such a tepid atmosphere in such an important game.

Edited by alex

To the NUSC lot.

First things first. Forget the demos and all that and get the membership sorted. If you really want to demonstrate that you are or are going to be the "voice of the supporters" in the short to medium term, you need to dramatically increase the membership.

800 out of 50,000 is not enough to get noticed or make a difference.

Make the membership free and ask for donations only. Get lads and lasses outside the ground with a clip board getting memberships filled in. I am sure plenty of people will volunteer to help.

This way you will soon increase the membership way into the thousands. You will then have a fan base, with contact details, that could then be communicated with and asked to help in many ways over the coming months / years.

Great with what you have done so far but you now need to see the bigger picture and really go after the membership. Otherwise I am afraid you will remain a committee of angry (although passionate) men in a bar.

If you were to go down thisa route, personally I would chuck a ton in and take my turn recruiting.

All the best.

:lol:

And another thing

This t.shirt thing is a no starter. At best you will end up with a few hundred wearing it for a week or so before it dies away.

Think Bigger! :lol:

What we need is a ...........Song. Thats rite a song, Dead simple.

Nothing too rude or agressive. Think more a fa cup final ditty. Something witty and funny that can be sung during a game which gets the point accross without upsetting the players.

There is enough talent around to get it recorded, excellent pr and then using fans forums and facebook etc etc get it downloaded and into the charts.

Thats in your face clever meaningful protesting.

Wasn't Christmas the month before last?

Why is it people have all the solutions after the opportunity to actually get them out there?

fuck me, you have an idea when you have an idea!

And some of us dont want to go to a pub with a crowd of 200 and start spouting off.

Anyway, after two minutes of hardly no thinking we have

Oh me lads, what can we do with Mike

Refusing to talk to the Geordie lads and wont get on his bike

All the lads n lasses here, all with smilin faces

Supportin the team in Black and White

While Ashley cant fasten he's laces.

I know its naff but its just to give a flavour of what I mean.

Seriously you think a naff ditty will be more effective that t-shirts?

For once J69 is correct, boycotting a game or making a similar type protest - turning one's back or going into the ground ten minutes after kickoff, is the only way to make a noticeable protest.

Edited by sammynb

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, Ashley!

Oooh! Ahhh!

I wanna knooooooow, why you bought this club!

I actually quite like that :lol:

I do agree to an extent though, but dont know why it has to be one or the other. Why not T-shirts and songs?

By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-East 5/02/2009

I wonder what Mike Ashley, Derek Llambias, Dennis Wise and Joe Kinnear were doing last night?

I know where the four men pulling the strings at Newcastle United should have been. Listening. Learning. Getting connected with some of the club's most passionate, intelligent, concerned fans.

No-one from Newcastle United attended the latest Newcastle United Supporters Club meeting at the Tyneside Irish Centre. Typical of the club's current distain for knowing how their "customers" really feel. (However a club employee did have the cheek to hand the organisers a bundle of ads promoting corporate hospitality at St James' Park!)

Yet 250 Newcastle fans did turn up at the latest meeting of this fledgling organisation (membership 800, with 6,000 emails of supoort to work through). It is ironic that these fans were communicating with each other during a period when, disgracefully, precious little communication is coming from the men in charge of the club..

The misconception about Newcastle fans is that they are a bunch of impatient fools who drive manager after manager out in their desperation for success, always jumping around in tracksuits in front of Sky cameras, and crying on television when it doesn't go their way.

Wrong. Forty years without a trophy, and they still get 50,000 at matches. Not challenged for the league for a decade, and still the Geordies turn up. Supporting United is a way of life up here, not a fleeting glory-seeking diversion on a Saturday afternoon.

In reality all Newcastle fans want is a well-run club. Where they are being listened to. Where they feel the hierarchy are regularly communicating with them.

They want to have their grievances (and there are many) heard, and acted on. They want the men in charge to outline their vision. Explain what the grand plan is.

And to be respected by owner, chairman, manager for their loyalty and the hard earned cash they spend at St James's Park.

No surprise then that there was discontent and frustration expressed as the microphone was passed around the room on Wednesday night.

Hard questions were asked by the men and women who want some "positive change" at St James's Park.

Why does Mike Ashley not show leadership and speak to the fans? Why is an official well organised supporters club not being embraced by the man in charge? (emails and letters sent to the owner have been ignored, with no replies). These disenfranchised people are the foundations of the club.

By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-East 5/02/2009

I wonder what Mike Ashley, Derek Llambias, Dennis Wise and Joe Kinnear were doing last night?

I know where the four men pulling the strings at Newcastle United should have been. Listening. Learning. Getting connected with some of the club's most passionate, intelligent, concerned fans.

No-one from Newcastle United attended the latest Newcastle United Supporters Club meeting at the Tyneside Irish Centre. Typical of the club's current distain for knowing how their "customers" really feel. (However a club employee did have the cheek to hand the organisers a bundle of ads promoting corporate hospitality at St James' Park!)

Yet 250 Newcastle fans did turn up at the latest meeting of this fledgling organisation (membership 800, with 6,000 emails of supoort to work through). It is ironic that these fans were communicating with each other during a period when, disgracefully, precious little communication is coming from the men in charge of the club..

The misconception about Newcastle fans is that they are a bunch of impatient fools who drive manager after manager out in their desperation for success, always jumping around in tracksuits in front of Sky cameras, and crying on television when it doesn't go their way.

Wrong. Forty years without a trophy, and they still get 50,000 at matches. Not challenged for the league for a decade, and still the Geordies turn up. Supporting United is a way of life up here, not a fleeting glory-seeking diversion on a Saturday afternoon.

In reality all Newcastle fans want is a well-run club. Where they are being listened to. Where they feel the hierarchy are regularly communicating with them.

They want to have their grievances (and there are many) heard, and acted on. They want the men in charge to outline their vision. Explain what the grand plan is.

And to be respected by owner, chairman, manager for their loyalty and the hard earned cash they spend at St James's Park.

No surprise then that there was discontent and frustration expressed as the microphone was passed around the room on Wednesday night.

Hard questions were asked by the men and women who want some "positive change" at St James's Park.

Why does Mike Ashley not show leadership and speak to the fans? Why is an official well organised supporters club not being embraced by the man in charge? (emails and letters sent to the owner have been ignored, with no replies). These disenfranchised people are the foundations of the club.

JFK is going to lamp him on saturday

From The Chron

"HUNDREDS of Toon fans are set to stage a mass protest over the club’s plight.

The supporters will vent their fury at owner Mike Ashley and his board at the demonstration, which will take place an hour before the Magpies’ televised clash with Everton.

Newcastle United Supporters Club has secured the backing of police to gather at Grey’s Monument at 3pm on February 22."

NUSC Has to understand that this will not help their cause. "Hundreds" to some, particularly outsiders will just look like the tiny minority that it is and allow opposition to say, "See, only a few hundred are protesting".

You will also get every chava worth his bottle of white lightning in attendance vomitting abuse at anyone who will listen.

Have a re-think fellas.

Talk about picking holes in anything like. That's the Chronicles wording btw. Why don't you turn up and join the protest btw and tell all the people you go to the match with etc. about it?

From The Chron

"HUNDREDS of Toon fans are set to stage a mass protest over the club’s plight.

The supporters will vent their fury at owner Mike Ashley and his board at the demonstration, which will take place an hour before the Magpies’ televised clash with Everton.

Newcastle United Supporters Club has secured the backing of police to gather at Grey’s Monument at 3pm on February 22."

NUSC Has to understand that this will not help their cause. "Hundreds" to some, particularly outsiders will just look like the tiny minority that it is and allow opposition to say, "See, only a few hundred are protesting".

You will also get every chava worth his bottle of white lightning in attendance vomitting abuse at anyone who will listen.

Have a re-think fellas.

What do you suggest then?

been there done that after KK. Wife and four year old daughter didnt enjoy being surrounded by pissed chava gangs. Like flies round shit they will outnumber the genuine protesters.

They will with that attitude. Anyway, seems like you're just being critical for the sake of it, like if the Chronicle had said "1000s" it would have been different? Eh? You're having a go at NUSC because of that piece of shit paper's reporting of the potential numbers. Or you were. If you think protesting in itself shouldn't happen, that's different. But that's also different to what you were saying. Mind, you had a pop at the T-shirt thing too. I suppose your idea of a song is the answer. Or maybe not.