BNP Wives

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe a Roman Catholic would basically want Muslims in this country to face the same sort of persecution that happened to their own lot for ages after Reformation in this country. Then again, I can.

Can't believe a Roman Catholic would basically want Muslims in this country to face the same sort of persecution that happened to their own lot for ages after Reformation in this country. Then again, I can.

The jesuits have a lot to ans for.

Where did I say that. If they speak English and pipe down, play football, that would be enough for me. 2m muslims in England, and less than five have made any impact on our game, and don't give me the inherent racism bollocks in the footballing system. It's about integration throughout the nation.

Where did I say that. If they speak English and pipe down, play football, that would be enough for me. 2m muslims in England, and less than five have made any impact on our game, and don't give me the inherent racism bollocks in the footballing system. It's about integration throughout the nation.

Earlier in the thread.

Earlier in the thread.

Where?

Earlier in the thread.

Where?

The bit where you said Mosques shouldn't have been allowed to be built in this country. Anyway fuck it. We'll never agree on shit like this.

I don't see how Keep the Aspidistra flying is relevant like :lol:

Does that mean you can see how 'The Road to Wigan Pier' is relevant? ;)

:D

No it means I have yet to read The Road To Wigan Pier, I get the jist of the book but I am yet to read it.

I only read Keep the Aspidistra flying on the basis it was in an anthology I bought, still a decent enough read.

No it means I have yet to read The Road To Wigan Pier, I get the jist of the book but I am yet to read it.

I only read Keep the Aspidistra flying on the basis it was in an anthology I bought, still a decent enough read.

I was joking numbnuts. I don't see the relevance of either book. TRTWP is class btw. And give 'Down and Out in Paris and London' a blast too if you get the chance.

TRTWP is one of the few books I have made a decent effort to read, given up, and never gone back to it. Had a phase about 8 years ago where I tried to read as many 'classic' (orwell, catch 22, clockwork orange, etc) books as I could. Did pretty well and enjoyed DAOIPAL but TRTWP never did it for me. Can't even remember how far I got, but it can't have been more than 1/4 of the way through.

oh well

I was joking numbnuts. I don't see the relevance of either book. TRTWP is class btw. And give 'Down and Out in Paris and London' a blast too if you get the chance.

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

Durham cathedral for one. Parts of the architecture there are indeed middle eastern.

The status of the BNP and NF (if it still exists) will be interesting over the next year or so. Xenophobic tendancies may well escalate as people lose their jobs due to the recession.

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

Durham cathedral for one. Parts of the architecture there are indeed middle eastern.

The status of the BNP and NF (if it still exists) will be interesting over the next year or so. Xenophobic tendancies may well escalate as people lose their jobs due to the recession.

I read somewhere that they think the stonemasons used might have been from the Islamic world. And when you look around it, it does have that sort of look in some of the arches etc.

I read somewhere that they think the stonemasons used might have been from the Islamic world. And when you look around it, it does have that sort of look in some of the arches etc.

Howay, is that really true? I don't mind giving credit to the islamic world where its due (e.g. for early mathematics and realising the value of systematic research, as well as fantastic islamic architecture) but surely Durham cathedral is an early gothic structure built by Norman stone masons? There can't be a region of the medievel world further from the islamic world either, in distance I mean. Doesn't it also predate the great mosques (that's more of an assumption because I don't really know).

Regardless, its my favourite building in the world.

Howay, is that really true? I don't mind giving credit to the islamic world where its due (e.g. for early mathematics and realising the value of systematic research, as well as fantastic islamic architecture) but surely Durham cathedral is an early gothic structure built by Norman stone masons? There can't be a region of the medievel world further from the islamic world either, in distance I mean. Doesn't it also predate the great mosques (that's more of an assumption because I don't really know).

Not in the top 20 buildings in Britain in my view, not bad though for something a stone thrown from the River Wear.

It's true it's a theory, I didn't mean to imply it was established as fact (or near as damn it) . It is (iirc) Romanesque rather than Gothic (coming slightly before the Gothic period). That's not just me being pedantic as the date is significant because just about the onlu buildings of that scale with similar features prior to that were Muslim. Who is to say the Normans didn't employ stonemasons from the Islamic world etc.? And it doesn't pre-date the Mesquita in Cordoba and other buildings in Moorish Spain as that was before then (I think). I'm no expert like - just seen a couple of programmes and read some things about it. I have been since I heard the theory and it does have some creedence imo if you look at some of the features of the building.

Not in the top 20 buildings in Britain in my view, not bad though for something a stone thrown from the River Wear.

What are your top 20, out of interest?

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

3.Battersea Power station

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

Edited by Monkeys Fist

It's true it's a theory, I didn't mean to imply it was established as fact (or near as damn it) . It is (iirc) Romanesque rather than Gothic (coming slightly before the Gothic period). That's not just me being pedantic as the date is significant because just about the onlu buildings of that scale with similar features prior to that were Muslim. Who is to say the Normans didn't employ stonemasons from the Islamic world etc.? And it doesn't pre-date the Mesquita in Cordoba and other buildings in Moorish Spain as that was before then (I think). I'm no expert like - just seen a couple of programmes and read some things about it. I have been since I heard the theory and it does have some creedence imo if you look at some of the features of the building.

Fair enough, I saw a documentary on it once and was amazed by the symbolism put into it's dimensions etc. It's mind boggling something like that could have been accomplished nearly a millenium ago, it would cost billions in todays money. But for me it's the location that really makes it, towering over the Wear as it does. I love cathedrals in general though and the atmosphere they generate, and that's from someone who is obviously atheistic/secularist in outlook, which goes to show their brilliance.

Modern attempts (e.g. Paddy's wigwam in Liverpool) don't really match up. The Sagrada Familia will be canny when it's finished mind. :lol:

Fair enough, I saw a documentary on it once and was amazed by the symbolism put into it's dimensions etc. It's mind boggling something like that could have been accomplished nearly a millenium ago, it would cost billions in todays money. But for me it's the location that really makes it, towering over the Wear as it does. I love cathedrals in general though and the atmosphere they generate, and that's from someone who is obviously atheistic/secularist in outlook, which goes to show their brilliance.

Modern attempts (e.g. Paddy's wigwam in Liverpool) don't really match up. The Sagrada Familia will be canny when it's finished mind. :lol:

While I agree about the location being superb I think it's more impressive on the inside. Was that the Dan Cruikshanks doc btw? As lot of the symbolism was supposedly more obvious before the Reformation because the cathedral would have been painted in brilliant colours on the inside but all the paint was washed off after the break from Rome due to the Catholic connotations. Agree about cathedrals in general as well my fellow dweeb. They tend to be awesome places.

1. SJP (of Course)

2.Hadrians Wall

3.Battersea Power station

4.The Lloyds Building

5.Post Office(BT) Tower

6.Tyne Bridge

7.Forth Rail Bridge

8.York Minster

9.Sage Gateshead

10. Stonehenge

can't be arsed with 20

Just as well, half them aren't even buildings :lol:

What are your top 20, out of interest?

I'm not doing 20 now, but 5 that to me are majestic are the Spanish Cit...(nah kiddin on) Edinburgh Castle when it's night time and it's all lit up and you're looking from Princes Street, it looks like a castle in the Sky. Bamburgh Castle, the jewel in the regions crown in my opinion, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament all iconic and in a league of their own. I'd even put York Minster well above Durham Cathedral.