BNP Wives

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

That's the thing though, so long as you only look at one part of anything and squint a bit, there's always nice bits.

Where as in reality pretty much all religion (and most "culture") is just acceptable bigotry/them and us-ism.

I don't disagree, it was more a defence of it in the face of a this religion is worse than this one-type of argument. I do love the architecture though.

Aye it's nice (and relatively Tsunami proof), but even that isn't really that, as it takes its influences from several different pre-Islamic places as well.

Isn't really that what? :lol:

Islamic, it's just the current lasting touchstone of the culture and architecture it enveloped.

Which was primarily Islamic. I don't see how you can put all Islamic architecture into one category anyway given the period over which it has lasted. No one was arguing it wasn't influenced by what went before, but then again - what isn't when it comes to this sort of thing? But it was (more often than not) built in honour of God and whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of that it does seem to produce a type of building which has a special atmosphere to it. Take the Palace of Versailles - beautiful but completely lacking in the ambience of, say, the Sacre Coeur.

Aye, but that architecture or something very similar would have likely come about even if Islam never had (and of course existed pre-Islam). Religion is just good at claiming stuff, and of course getting money.

I can't think of many comparable buildings (to the great mosques, temples, cathedrals etc. of the world) that aren't connected to religion so I'm not sure that's correct.

Most have been destroyed, but that you think Islam invented them just goes to show how effective it can be.

I never said that at all. In fact I implied the opposite. Which buildings do you have in mind btw?

Loads. From ancient Persian and Mediterranean architecture, to Alexander's buildings, through to the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire (and even much of the orthodox world today - a lot of that has been destroyed mind, not least by Islam).

If Islam had never existed a style of architecture not too dissimilar still would have (not that all Islamic architecture is actually the same either though - any more than Christian monuments/temples are the same).

Ironically the early "Islamic" buildings were actually designed and built by Greek architects. :lol:

2009/02/13

Pizza chain Domino´s has defended it decision to make one of its stores entirely halal – removing all ham and bacon from the menu.

The fast-food firm said it had thought long and hard about the decision not to offer pork at its Hall Green store in Birmingham – which serves a large Muslim population.

It is Domino´s first halal outlet in the country but many more are expected to follow.

The world would be a poorer place without many aspects of Islamic culture imo, not least their architecture.

That's the thing though, so long as you only look at one part of anything and squint a bit, there's always nice bits.

Where as in reality pretty much all religion (and most "culture") is just acceptable bigotry/them and us-ism.

I don't disagree, it was more a defence of it in the face of a this religion is worse than this one-type of argument. I do love the architecture though.

Aye it's nice (and relatively Tsunami proof), but even that isn't really that, as it takes its influences from several different pre-Islamic places as well.

Isn't really that what? :lol:

Islamic, it's just the current lasting touchstone of the culture and architecture it enveloped.

Which was primarily Islamic. I don't see how you can put all Islamic architecture into one category anyway given the period over which it has lasted. No one was arguing it wasn't influenced by what went before, but then again - what isn't when it comes to this sort of thing? But it was (more often than not) built in honour of God and whatever you think about the rights and wrongs of that it does seem to produce a type of building which has a special atmosphere to it. Take the Palace of Versailles - beautiful but completely lacking in the ambience of, say, the Sacre Coeur.

Aye, but that architecture or something very similar would have likely come about even if Islam never had (and of course existed pre-Islam). Religion is just good at claiming stuff, and of course getting money.

I can't think of many comparable buildings (to the great mosques, temples, cathedrals etc. of the world) that aren't connected to religion so I'm not sure that's correct.

Most have been destroyed, but that you think Islam invented them just goes to show how effective it can be.

I never said that at all. In fact I implied the opposite. Which buildings do you have in mind btw?

Loads. From ancient Persian and Mediterranean architecture, to Alexander's buildings, through to the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire (and even much of the orthodox world today - a lot of that has been destroyed mind, not least by Islam).

If Islam had never existed a style of architecture not too dissimilar still would have (not that all Islamic architecture is actually the same either though - any more than Christian monuments/temples are the same).

Ironically the early "Islamic" buildings were actually designed and built by Greek architects. :lol:

E.g.? Honestly think I'd struggle to come up with many destroyed buidlings which fit the bill - i.e. non-religious and, obviously, you'd have to have some idea what it looked like. Quite interested in reading about them though. I never said they specifically had to be Islamic if you read what I said btw. I also implied all buildings of that ilk are influenced by what has gone before in terms of their style. I wasn't saying you had these great Mosques which sprung out of nowhere with hitherto uninvented architectural styles and techniques.

Edited by alex

2009/02/13

Pizza chain Domino´s has defended it decision to make one of its stores entirely halal – removing all ham and bacon from the menu.

The fast-food firm said it had thought long and hard about the decision not to offer pork at its Hall Green store in Birmingham – which serves a large Muslim population.

It is Domino´s first halal outlet in the country but many more are expected to follow.

A Halal restaurant? Well that's a new idea.

2009/02/13

A Halal restaurant? Well that's a new idea.

First one in Birmingham apparently.

Isn't really that what? :D

Ironically the early "Islamic" buildings were actually designed and built by Greek architects. :)

E.g.? Honestly think I'd struggle to come up with many destroyed buidlings which fit the bill - i.e. non-religious and, obviously, you'd have to have some idea what it looked like. Quite interested in reading about them though. I never said they specifically had to be Islamic if you read what I said btw. I also implied all buildings of that ilk are influenced by what has gone before in terms of their style. I wasn't saying you had these great Mosques which sprung out of nowhere with hitherto uninvented architectural styles and techniques.

Like I said they were intially built by Greek architects (who had also build much of the ancient world pre and post Alexander, much of the initial Roman Empire and much of the Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire), it's only once Islam was well established as a religion and an empire that more home-grown talent was used (actually the fracturing of said "empire" helped to create styles within the architecture with separate states often going back to their roots to outdo other Islamic kingdoms in area).

If Islam had never existed there'd likely be a very similar style of architecture in the area and a lot of ancient buildings that no longer exist may well still exist.

Mind you I'm sure there are plenty of places today where if you suggested Islamic architecture was created by the Greeks, you'd be in a fair bit of trouble. :razz:

What the fuck are you on about man? :) Did you even read what I said? What a dullard.

Tetchy when you're not right aren't you. :D

It's not a case of wanting to be right. I was (imo anyway) discussing something interesting. I was on about how religious architecture is impressive in a way nothing else (in building terms) seems to be able to touch on. That's a personal view, to do with the scale, atmosphere and so on. You said there were ancient buildings that have now been destroyed which were just as impressive. I asked about them. You avoided specifcs and insinuated that I said Islam had completely invented its own style of archictecture. When I explained I thought the opposite was true., you again referred to these (un-named) buildings. I asked for specifics again (out of genuine interest) so you went on about Greeks designing Islamic buildings anyway. I honestly don't know what you're getting at. Do you even know what you're on about?

What the fuck are you on about man? :) Did you even read what I said? What a dullard.

It's not a case of wanting to be right. I was (imo anyway) discussing something interesting. I was on about how religious architecture is impressive in a way nothing else (in building terms) seems to be able to touch on. That's a personal view, to do with the scale, atmosphere and so on. You said there were ancient buildings that have now been destroyed which were just as impressive. I asked about them. You avoided specifcs and insinuated that I said Islam had completely invented its own style of archictecture. When I explained I thought the opposite was true., you again referred to these (un-named) buildings. I asked for specifics again (out of genuine interest) so you went on about Greeks designing Islamic buildings anyway. I honestly don't know what you're getting at. Do you even know what you're on about?

The Fog of Fop. ©

He's just being a tit as usual.

Imo religious buildings tend to be the most spectacular in design and scale. I've actually not seen that much islamic architecture because I've never been to Turkey/Northen Africa/ Middle East but you can see from photographs it's pretty awe-inspiring. As for christian churches - Durham, York, Westminster, Wells, Rennes, Notredam, Sacre coeur, the Vatican, the Duomo in Milan etc - all amazing buildings. I guess though more recently capitalism has been the inspiration for some incredible buildings too, like the Empire State Building for instance.

Edited by Renton

He's just being a tit as usual.

Imo religious buildings tend to be the most spectacular in design and scale. I've actually not seen that much islamic architecture because I've never been to Turkey/Northen Africa/ Middle East but you can see from photographs it's pretty awe-inspiring. As for christian churches - Durham, York, Westminster, Wells, Rennes, Notredam, Sacre coeur, the Vatican, the Duomo in Milan etc - all amazing buildings. I guess though more recently capitalism has been the inspiration for some incredible buildings too, like the Empire State Building for instance.

Agree with all of that. I guess the cost of building anything stupendous these days is likely to be down to the mega-rich companies as the church was able to afford the grand cathedrals in medieval times.

Can I just add Ely and St Albans cathedrals to the list, which I both found impressive and awe inspiring.

Is it Ely Cathedral that is built on marsh and that only has four foot deep foundations or something like that?

Anyway, add the Duomo in Florence to that impressive list.

Is it Ely Cathedral that is built on marsh and that only has four foot deep foundations or something like that?

I was going to say the Duomo in Florence but I decided not to as I thought it's decoration was more impressive than it's actual construction; as well as St Marks basilica in Venice. Both truly amazing in decoration yet not as impressive when considering the construction. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs? I find the bare stonework in the British cathedral somehow more, I don't know, more impressive/inspiring. I'm a bit of a construction sap tbh (without knowing too much about it) - looking at buildings turns me on :D

I was going to say the Duomo in Florence but I decided not to as I thought it's decoration was more impressive than it's actual construction; as well as St Marks basilica in Venice. Both truly amazing in decoration yet not as impressive when considering the construction. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs? I find the bare stonework in the British cathedral somehow more, I don't know, more impressive/inspiring. I'm a bit of a construction sap tbh (without knowing too much about it) - looking at buildings turns me on :D

St Marks basilica in Venice is way OTT. Totally opulent and ostentatious. That's not to say it isn't beautiful but I know what you mean all the same.

It's clearly all Greek to you. :razz:

As you're doing your usual trick of trying to find a specific point and then trying to drag your prey off into the mire to drown it; well again there are loads of example, many of them unfortunately destroyed in Islamic expansion.

Out of genuine interest are you saying that if Islam hadn't existed there'd not be a similar style of architecture in the area?

Are you saying that there wasn't similar architecture there before? Persian, Byzantine, even Christian? (again mostly designed by Greeks though)

Are you saying that (much like The Beatles) Greek architects didn't build most everything anyway. :D