Journal reckons 30mill transfer kitty...

smoggeordie

NEWCASTLE United’s legal row with former manager Kevin Keegan could drag on for months and seriously disrupt the club’s summer transfer strategy.

The Journal understands that, while there is a preliminary hearing between the two legal teams to discuss the case early next month, it is highly unlikely an agreement will be reached then.

Both legal teams are adamant they have a strong case, which means the arguments could carry on for weeks, if not months, before a settlement is concluded with a number of hearings required before the matter is eventually passed on to a Premier League arbitration panel. United’s owner Mike Ashley is determined not to back down in the dispute as a matter of principle, while Keegan, who is unlikely to work in football again, would like to maximise the size of his compensation claim.

Keegan is believed to be seeking as much as £9m after he sued the club for constructive dismissal following his controversial departure back in September.

Newcastle, though, believe Keegan quit and have made a counter claim for breach of contract. That potentially has significant knock-on effects for the club’s finances.

United would like to see the case settled as quickly as possible so they know if they are going to have to pay out any compensation and, if so, how much.

That would allow the board to adjust their business plan accordingly, but if the case drags on, there is a chance it will force them to trim their transfer budget in the summer so that there is money set aside to cover the cost of any future settlement.

United are due to receive around £16m from the sale of Shay Given, David Rozehnal, James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia in the summer, money which has already been earmarked for player recruitment.

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear – assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation – around £30m to play with.

That is a significant amount in the present financial climate, but Ashley is not willing to break with his business plan and increase his personal investment, so any compensation to Keegan would reduce that figure unless the matter is eventually settled in Newcastle’s favour at an arbitration hearing.

Llambias said: “We tried to keep him – Mike insisted that we should keep him. We tried our best to keep him, but once someone crosses that line, it’s very difficult to get them back.

“Kevin – what can you say? He is the Messiah, he is a great guy. I promise you, Kevin was where we wanted to go.

“We are trying to resolve our differences with Kevin and, hopefully, we will get there very shortly.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins is hoping a Magpies surge up the Premier League table will be the ideal way for Kinnear (pictured) to recover from surgery.

The United boss is not due back on the training ground until mid-April at the earliest and Martins knows they cannot afford to fall back into relegation trouble during his absence.

He said: “The lads talk about Joe the whole time and everyone is looking forward to his return.

“We need to go all-out, fight and grind out some good results for him.

“I’m sure there’s nothing he wants so badly as a perfect gift on his return from hospital. He’s a good man and someone who is passionate about the club, so he deserves our best wishes.”

Kinnear with 30 mill :lol:

They can blow having to pay Keegan out of their arse as much as they want, it's their fault they're having to pay him so I'm not holding any blame against him. Why should I believe anything Ashley and co say anyway? What have they done to earn that belief? Fuck them, and their lying habits.

Here's an idea... use the £9m to sack the 3 muppets he has running the club and re-instate Keegan.

I have more confidence in £21m being spent wisely (s'cuse the pun) by KK than I do by Kinnear/Wise

Aren't Thompson House in the pocket of Llambias now?

Too right, they can duck right off if they are going to start slagging ok off for them like this ( no matter how much truth there is in it) bastards are well and truly up llambiass's arse.

It was a rhetorical question - I know they're in Llambias' pocket :lol:

Yes, 100%, you know you're fucked when the Managing Director turns up for a meeting with the fans flanked by two journalists from the Ronnie. :lol:

Journalists who then back everything said by DL and provide the arguments for him when he doesnt know the answers.

Strange though isnt it that the statement has always been "we are unable to discuss Keegan due to legal reasons" the mere mention of his name getting disaproving tuts and a "look we cant discuss it at all legally" yet when it suits them they can put statements out about how he will be responsible for the lack of transfer funds.

To be honest I reckon they know they have no case and are now looking to get the fans onside by saying future player recruitment will be the fault of KK.

"United are due to receive around £16m from the sale of Shay Given, David Rozehnal, James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia in the summer, money which has already been earmarked for player recruitment.

Ashley is also, according to managing director Derek Llambias, willing to put in as much as £15m of his own money each season, which would give Joe Kinnear – assuming he returns to work following a triple heart-bypass operation – around £30m to play with."

Why are the Journal adding the two amounts together to make a grand transfer pot? We have been repeatedly told that LardAsh's money is being pumped in to cover the losses of the club; losses that we have been told by Llabia that will continue for the next two years (his exact words). Therefore the 15m cannot be used for a transfer fund.

Sounds like The Journal are indeed up LardAsh's ample back entrance.

Yes, 100%, you know you're fucked when the Managing Director turns up for a meeting with the fans flanked by two journalists from the Ronnie. :lol:

Journalists who then back everything said by DL and provide the arguments for him when he doesnt know the answers.

Strange though isnt it that the statement has always been "we are unable to discuss Keegan due to legal reasons" the mere mention of his name getting disaproving tuts and a "look we cant discuss it at all legally" yet when it suits them they can put statements out about how he will be responsible for the lack of transfer funds.

To be honest I reckon they know they have no case and are now looking to get the fans onside by saying future player recruitment will be the fault of KK.

Spot on like. Luke Edwards is now officially a cunt.

And the lip-service paid to KK 'the messiah' etc is laughably insincere.

They've been slowly lining that one up for a while, they are actually being quite clever in their repainting of history, just changing one bit at a time and then mentioning it loads till it sticks.

I'd hoped the crawly media bum lick that the Ronny and Journal come out with would die after Anal left. Not so unfortunately.

I wonder if he was eased out / saw the writing on the wall because he was pro-Shepherd.

I'd hoped the crawly media bum lick that the Ronny and Journal come out with would die after Anal left. Not so unfortunately.

I wonder if he was eased out / saw the writing on the wall because he was pro-Shepherd.

I'm beginning to think that. As much as I hate the saggy faced fucker he was spot on with his info in Keegan's final weeks at the club, but then many journalists were.

Club say nowt = no communication, the bastards!

Clud talks to local press = Press botting the Club

Laughable

Don't you think the role of the local press should be to have impartiality?

Club say nowt = no communication, the bastards!

Clud talks to local press = Press botting the Club

Laughable

You'd have a point if there wasn't overwhelming evidence that the press are infact 'botting the club'

The only role journalists should have at a meeting of the Fans' Liaison Committee (if they have any role at all, which is debatable) is to sit there, say fuck all and record what is going on. Not answer difficult questions on the chairman's behalf.

So we pay for everything up front now but still accept payment on tick. Does that mean all the other clubs are doing something wrong and we stand alone as being right?

They should work like banks (I know, I know) and work out their positions (net in + out) in the future to at least make them square on given dates - we could be using the money that wouldn't normally be due till summer for all the day to day stuff we are supposed to thank the Lord Ashley is paying for all the time.

Most amusing thing is that Llambias is making noises about Ashley putting his own money (as a loan - you know, as though he doesn't own the club) to help the day to day running of the club and for the Nolan transfer when they've created the situation whereby we allow our competitors to defer their payments. It's mental. "You don't know what you're doing" as the song goes.

Edit: "laughable" :lol:

Edited by alex