Ferguson: No where in the world has support like Newcastle United

Guest Stevie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not playing so well now either. We weren't 6 month ago either.

I think it was at a particular low point...probably round the Sunderland game.

Text book OWF. Flooding praise on the club before a game. Especially when he doesn't see that club as a threat.

We normally get: "I hugely respect Tottenham"..."style of football"..."fans make it a difficult place to come"

Its part of his pre match ritual, if he saw you as a threat, he would be saying that the ref might be swayed by the crowd or some such rubbish.

Its the same every year. I cant believe some people still fall for him fluttering his eyebrows.

we dont :icon_lol: .

I've never really understood why people don't like him.

He doesn't take any shit, instills discipline and a great work ethic in his players and is the greatest manager this country has seen.

I think he's a very good manager and very successful, but greatest? No. He'd have had to have gone else where and been similarly successful to do that.

He did well with Aberdeen, but there were other reasons for that besides him being manager.

He got a LOT or leeway at Man U when he went there (4 seasons - more than anyone else will ever get again IMO), they were punching well below their weight when he got there, and he's simple stayed with one of the richest and most powerful clubs in the world that have supported him in a way pretty much no other big club has supported a manager in the same timespan (Keegan might come close in most of his original spell, but in the end was let down by the board when we floated).

He doesn't take any shit, instills discipline and a great work ethic in his players and is the greatest manager this country has seen.

I think he's a very good manager and very successful, but greatest? No. He'd have had to have gone else where and been similarly successful to do that.

He did well with Aberdeen, but there were other reasons for that besides him being manager.

He got a LOT or leeway at Man U when he went there (4 seasons - more than anyone else will ever get again IMO), they were punching well below their weight when he got there, and he's simple stayed with one of the richest and most powerful clubs in the world that have supported him in a way pretty much no other big club has supported a manager in the same timespan (Keegan might come close in most of his original spell, but in the end was let down by the board when we floated).

So who have you got down as the greatest? Because he has to be there or there abouts.

to be fair Ferguson has often said good things about us when he has no need to. I've heard praise from him plenty of times. I think he does have an affection for "football" cities like Newcastle, Manchester etc I mean who wouldn't like a place that shares a love for your passion?

I'm not so naive to think this well-timed praise is anything more than to soften up the fans... doesn't mean he doesn't mean it though.

to be fair Ferguson has often said good things about us when he has no need to. I've heard praise from him plenty of times. I think he does have an affection for "football" cities like Newcastle, Manchester etc I mean who wouldn't like a place that shares a love for your passion?

I'm not so naive to think this well-timed praise is anything more than to soften up the fans... doesn't mean he doesn't mean it though.

Not that i give a toss personally but I've heard the same from him, and its not just been before matches, its been after ones he's won and away completely from matches with us. He does seem to like toon fans and the city, as well as often showing the club more respect that required if you look at times he's played stronger lineups than he would ever have needed.

Also i'm not one of these people who thinks Fergie is some evil genius who spends half his life planning every single word he says to have some devious calculated effect, sometimes i think he actually just talks about stuff for the sheer hell of it!!!

Also do people really think Fergie is daft enough to think, if i praise the toon fans before the match, they'll all think, "Well i hate manu and their manager, have done for years and was going to give them 90 mins of shit, but since he said that i think i'll leave them be!"

I don't like him, but he is intelligent and he knows that praising our fans will do fuck all in the way of changing what they do at St James when Manu turn up. He may be able to get under the skin of opposition players/managers on rare occasions, but praising fans changes nothing and he knows that.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

That should tell you something, no?

That should tell you something, no?

That he's been very lucky as well as good?

Basically he's achieved what he has because of how good he is. Obvious imo. He's built about four different sides now. Class sides as well. No one achieves sustained brilliance without a great deal of ability and mental strength. Man Utd could have anyone they want but they're fairly confident they've got the best bloke in the world. Hard to disagree with that.

Just the latter imo.
I wouldn't be surprised if he generated a lot of funds through his own success anyway to be honest.
Basically he's achieved what he has because of how good he is. Obvious imo. He's built about four different sides now. Class sides as well. No one achieves sustained brilliance without a great deal of ability and mental strength. Man Utd could have anyone they want but they're fairly confident they've got the best bloke in the world. Hard to disagree with that.

The thing is give most good managers 4 seasons and a lot of cash to get things right at a club with a massive draw to players (and stick with them through those seasons even when it's looking quite ropey) and you'd see results.

Then support them well over then next 20 years again with a lot of money and a huge draw for players and again you'd see results.

Imagine if Robson had spent a few more years at Ipswich then moved to Man U and stayed there till 2001, how much would he have won?

Conversely Fergy has never managed internationally (sensible perhaps, but still he hasn't), nor "abroad", nor even in a top flight at anywhere but Man U.

He is good, but how good is hard to tell because he's had the cushiest job in modern English football in many ways (and Man U would have been mental to get rid of him after those first few seasons, because no one is going to come in and be better - the real crux is whether anyone will ever get those 4 seasons of support again, any new Man U manager would probably be sacked with a season winning nothing, even with a decent league finish).

I agree with all of you, just cant believe Stevie was stupid enough to get sucked in TBH.

He's all over anything that maquerades as a compliment tbf. Never thinks to question it as it must be true. Obviously.

If you disagree or hold a dissenting view however then you're automatically a 'wank'.

Regular as clockwork.

I have seen some boring posters but you are the most boring poste........

Just the latter imo.
I wouldn't be surprised if he generated a lot of funds through his own success anyway to be honest.

The thing is give most good managers 4 seasons and a lot of cash to get things right at a club with a massive draw to players (and stick with them through those seasons even when it's looking quite ropey) and you'd see results.

Then support them well over then next 20 years again with a lot of money and a huge draw for players and again you'd see results.

Imagine if Robson had spent a few more years at Ipswich then moved to Man U and stayed there till 2001, how much would he have won?

Conversely Fergy has never managed internationally (sensible perhaps, but still he hasn't), nor "abroad", nor even in a top flight at anywhere but Man U.

He is good, but how good is hard to tell because he's had the cushiest job in modern English football in many ways (and Man U would have been mental to get rid of him after those first few seasons, because no one is going to come in and be better - the real crux is whether anyone will ever get those 4 seasons of support again, any new Man U manager would probably be sacked with a season winning nothing, even with a decent league finish).

Classic case of arguing for the sake of it. Ferguson is one of the greatest managers in English football ever, period. He is arguably the greatest manager in English football now. Robson can't compare imo.

Btw, didn't ManU come 2nd the first season Ferguson was in charge? Given that promising start and his amazing sucess at Aberdeen, I'm not surprised he was given a little patience.

Just the latter imo.

That's a bit like saying it's impossible to judge anyone as a manager because each situation is different. I was more taking issue with your suggestion he was lucky than anything else though. Not really worth arguing about like, he's class, end of story.

I agree with all of you, just cant believe Stevie was stupid enough to get sucked in TBH.

He's all over anything that maquerades as a compliment tbf. Never thinks to question it as it must be true. Obviously.

If you disagree or hold a dissenting view however then you're automatically a 'wank'.

Regular as clockwork.

I have seen some boring posters but you are the most boring poste........

Fuck off you southern wank.

Classic case of arguing for the sake of it.

Yes, this clearly is. :lol:

Ferguson is one of the greatest managers in English football ever, period.

True.

He is arguably the greatest manager in English football now.

True, but with the above caveats and reservations.

Robson can't compare imo.

You can't compare, because Robson won stuff with a tiny club that he built himself, Robson managed internationally, Robson managed and was repeatedly sucessful abroad.

You just can't compare in a different way to the one you're implying. :superman2sa2:

Btw, didn't ManU come 2nd the first season Ferguson was in charge? Given that promising start and his amazing sucess at Aberdeen, I'm not surprised he was given a little patience.

11th with only 1 away win. 11th the next season too. 13th the next season (they won the FA Cup though which probably saved his job "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie"). 6th the next season, then 2nd.

He spent a fair old wack of money too.

That's a bit like saying it's impossible to judge anyone as a manager because each situation is different. I was more taking issue with your suggestion he was lucky than anything else though. Not really worth arguing about like, he's class, end of story.

He is good, but the greatest? He's never proven himself in that respect, like I said.

That's not to say I wouldn't have him here like a shot tomorrow, but equally he wouldn't turn us in to a great side with our current squad and no budget.

I do think he was lucky though, those first 4 seasons could have easily seen him sacked and plenty have been sacked for doing much better than he did.

True.

You can't compare, because Robson won stuff with a tiny club that he built himself, Robson managed internationally, Robson managed and was repeatedly sucessful abroad.

You just can't compare in a different way to the one you're implying. :superman2sa2:

11th with only 1 away win. 11th the next season too. 13th the next season (they won the FA Cup though which probably saved his job "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie"). 6th the next season, then 2nd.

According to wiki ManU came 2nd in his second season there (and his first full season). Like I said, that is a promising start and what about his record at Aberdeen? It makes great sense to be more patient with managers with a proven track record than it does to those with a shit one or nothing on their CV. That's why other managers aren't given so long.

But Alex hit the nail on the head just before. You're making a ridculous, unprovable supposition that other people would match Ferguson's success given the same circumstances. If that's not arguing for the sake of it I don't know what is. Why not just give credit where it is due and acknowledge that his managerial record is simply unsurpassed in the modern game?

He is good, but the greatest? He's never proven himself in that respect, like I said.

That's not to say I wouldn't have him here like a shot tomorrow, but equally he wouldn't turn us in to a great side with our current squad and no budget.

I do think he was lucky though, those first 4 seasons could have easily seen him sacked and plenty have been sacked for doing much better than he did.

Who is the greatest then? I never said he was btw, you just suggested I did :superman2sa2:

True.

According to wiki ManU came 2nd in his second season there (and his first full season). Like I said, that is a promising start and what about his record at Aberdeen? It makes great sense to be more patient with managers with a proven track record than it does to those with a shit one or nothing on their CV. That's why other managers aren't given so long.

But Alex hit the nail on the head just before. You're making a ridculous, unprovable supposition that other people would match Ferguson's success given the same circumstances. If that's not arguing for the sake of it I don't know what is. Why not just give credit where it is due and acknowledge that his managerial record is simply unsurpassed in the modern game?

Are you saying that a good manager given 4 seasons and a lot of money at Man U wouldn't build a decent team and be successful?

But then that's not really the point, the point is he's never been away from Man U (Scotland doesn't count B) ).

If he'd done the things I'd said then yes he'd probably be the greatest British manager of all time, but he hasn't and so he isn't. Simple as that. :icon_lol:

Who is the greatest then? I never said he was btw, you just suggested I did :lol:

That's subjective. :superman2sa2: You can argue with Renton as you agree with me, rather than him, if you want. B)

But like I said someone like Robson has to be held up at least with him, because although he may have won less trophies in an absolute sense he's done it in a much harder and more varied manner.

Ferguson certainly has his weaknesses (as has been shown without a good coach along side him, and tactically with things like his "champions league formation" - he soon abandoned that and went back to his usual habits).