Internet Explorer 8

Christmas Tree

My work is totally in bed with Microsoft, so we have to use it.

I went from 6 to 8 a couple weeks ago because I was having trouble uploading with some of our proprietary part number apps. Didn't help a bit.

All I've noticed so far is it's a lot less stable. I didn't have much trouble with 6 locking up for no reason, but 8 seems to quite a bit. Dunno if it's just my computer or just what. I hit enter before I hit the M in .com and it locked up. Seems like if I leave a browser window open for more than an hour it locks up. Having tabs is nice, but I use FireFox at the house and I like it a lot more. Might just be because I'm more used to it after using it for the past 7 years though, to be honest.

Not impressed so far, but no other browsers will work with the way we have our WLAN/ net access set up.

Edited by Cid_MCDP

For me, I prefer Firefox. Its fast, clutter free and has never caused me an issue. IE on the other hand I always have problems with. In the past I have had it constantly falling over, found it cumbersome to use and just generally unfriendly. I've not used Chrome or Opera enough to comment. As I understand, IE has taken some of the good features brought in by firefox. Such as tabbed browsing and intelligent url bar (so for example I know if I just type toontastic in the url it comes here. No need for www or .net etc.).

IE? people still use that? ;)

as opposed to......

Firefox, Chrome, Opera?

:nufc:

so which one and any top 3 reasons why its better?

Probably firefox 3, running noscript and adblock plus (and maybe flagfox) for ease and security.

Firefox is the best in my eyes. Is alot quicker then IE to. There are also some very great adons for it.

Such as thunderbird, foxmarks, seo fox and many more. Ie is so last decade. Maybe another you can add to firefox, chrome, opera is Flock. I cant remember even the last time I seen a short cut to IE on my desktop.

FIREFOX all the way.

I've started using Chrome recently. I find it a lot slicker and a lot quicker, and it's got a few nice features. I hate that the latest Firefox will take me automatically to a page rage than Google search results when I just type a word in the location bar - Chrome watches what you're typign and if it's somewhere you go all the time it will have it at the top of it's list of suggestions, but it also lets you search for it or go to popular pages with that word. Another nice feature is that if you've ever used a search bar on a site (say Amazon) you can start typing the name of the site, press tab, and then you can search that site by putting in what you're looking for and pressing enter.

I still use Firefox because of all the nice add ons you can get (and the fact it has autocomplete, something that's sadly lacking from Chrome) but Chrome is definitely my number one at the moment.

• 3 months later...
Just downloaded Chrome today. You can open incognito windows that dont store any cookies or history of any dubious sites you visit :lol: Its a keeper!

been using chrome for a few weeks and find it very good. Love the favourite website windows on the home page and the searching from the address bar thingy.

Just downloaded Chrome today. You can open incognito windows that dont store any cookies or history of any dubious sites you visit :lol: Its a keeper!

Firefox used to have Stealther, but with 3.5 they included a lot of that.

been using chrome for a few weeks and find it very good. Love the favourite website windows on the home page and the searching from the address bar thingy.

Me too. Im not sure about 3.5, but apparently Chrome is 200% faster than firefox 3.0. If the Chrome OS takes off then I reckon the Chrome web browser will shoot past Firefox

Me too. Im not sure about 3.5, but apparently Chrome is 200% faster than firefox 3.0. If the Chrome OS takes off then I reckon the Chrome web browser will shoot past Firefox

Probably, although that will open it up to the IE factor as as well.

Although FF3.5 is supposed to 2x as fast as FF3, but it's fairly difficult to tell that sort of thing by eye (it seems quite a bit faster than 3, but then it's been a while since Fop used Chrome).

Started using Chrome a few months ago and I really like it...

It'll be quite interesting to see what their new operating system will be like.