Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

SSN just had Darren Lewis from The Mirror on, after a few blah blah blah "Newcastle have been shite" comments, he comes out with an absolute pearler:

"...and £10m Fabrizio Coloccini has failed to hold down a place"

:nufc: played every single match this season !

:nufc: That was class.

I was ranting at the TV this morning when I heard that one. It was worse than his earlier comment that free signing "Guttierez has been a huge disappointment" while not mentioning Xisco.

I resolved to write a letter to SSN insisting they never have him back on. But I can't be arsed now.

So annoying that a lot of people just take stuff like that as gospel.

Mark Lawford at The daily mail might have Lewis beat for utter bollocks spouted in the haste to get copy to print...

However, it's still a risk for the greatest goalscorer in the entire history of Newcastle United FC with 206 goals in 404 appearances.

He's always said management doesn't interest him and has been accused of running scared - but perhaps history has taught him that being a legend as a player then managing the same club could be a recipe for disaster.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l.html?ITO=1490

;)

What the fuck's he on the verge of completing his coaching badges for then dipshit?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: The intriguing possibility has emerged that the Shearer appointment is linked to a new investor iin the club and he's been persuaded to take the position by someone other than Ashley and Llambias. The events of the coming days will doubtless prove or disprove that theory.

From dot com, too good to be true

From The Guardian:

Dowie to join Newcastle as Shearer's right-hand man

Iain Dowie is to join Newcastle to work as Alan Shearer's right-hand man in the club's battle against relegation, the Guardian understands.

It is believed that Shearer was impressed by Dowie during their brief time together at Southampton and, although the two are not friends and have had no long-term contact, Shearer thinks that the former Crystal Palace and Charlton manager, who has also had stints at QPR, Coventry and Oldham, can provide valuable tactical knowledge for the struggling side.

Dowie's arrival will not spell the end for the first-team coaches Colin Calderwood and Chris Hughton, however. Though Dowie will be Shearer's No2, both Hughton, who has been working as caretaker manager in Joe Kinnear's absence, and Calderwood will remain at the club in a coaching capacity.

The appointment does, though, create further doubt over the future of Dennis Wise at St James' Park. Unconfirmed reports on Tyneside have raised questions over Shearer's willingness to work under Wise, the club's executive director (football), who could now leave the club. An official statement confirming Shearer's arrival and his future plans is expected this afternoon.

Iain Dowie's managerial record

QPR May 2008 to October 2008 P15 W8 D3 L4

Coventry City February 2007 to February 2008 P49 W20 D8 L21

Charlton Athletic May 2006 to November 2006 P15 W4 D3 late

Crystal Palace December 2003 to May 2006 P123 W50 D29 L44

Oldham May 2002 to December 2003 P82 W31 D28 L23

QPR (caretaker) September 1998 to October 1998 P2 W1 D0 L1

Dowie's a good move imo. No doubt Rob Lee may have a future role to play should Shearer keep us up and stay on etc. but Lee has no experience whereas Dowie does.

PS: The intriguing possibility has emerged that the Shearer appointment is linked to a new investor iin the club and he's been persuaded to take the position by someone other than Ashley and Llambias. The events of the coming days will doubtless prove or disprove that theory.

Pure speculation probably, but it's as least as plausible as believing Ashley's done a u-turn, which he'd pretty much have to do to get Shearer long-term. Shearer would certainly insist on control and investment. Mind you if there is anything in this I hope it isn't contingent on us avoiding the drop; we're still right in the clag after all.

Pure speculation probably, but it's as least as plausible as believing Ashley's done a u-turn, which he'd pretty much have to do to get Shearer long-term. Shearer would certainly insist on control and investment. Mind you if there is anything in this I hope it isn't contingent on us avoiding the drop; we're still right in the clag after all.

That presumes he'll still be here once the transfer window opens.

You could more reasonably presume Shearer has been offered £1m for 8 weeks work without any responsibility outside of picking the team and training the squad we have until 24th May, and he's snapped their hand off for that kind of cash.

Edited by Happy Face

You could more reasonably presume Shearer has been offered £1m for 8 weeks work without any responsibility outside of picking and training until 24th May, and he's snapped their hand off for that kind of cash.

That's what I thought but didn't want to say it.

You could more reasonably presume Shearer has been offered £1m for 8 weeks work without any responsibility outside of picking the team and training the squad we have until 24th May, and he's snapped their hand off for that kind of cash.

I've no doubt Shearer will be on a king's ransom for these eight games, and that scenario is very possible, no question.

I'd still put my money on Shearer being our manager next season though. And anyway, I prefer my presumption to yours ;)

I've no doubt Shearer will be on a king's ransom for these eight games, and that scenario is very possible, no question.

I'd still put my money on Shearer being our manager next season though. And anyway, I prefer my presumption to yours :nufc:

If the reported seven figure bonus is true, he's on more than Michael Owen.

What happened to lowering the wage bill? ;)

Sky Sports News understands Iain Dowie will join Newcastle United as Alan Shearer's assistant.

An official statement from the club with regards Shearer's appointment will be made on Wednesday afternoon, but it would appear he is already putting in place his own people.

Dowie has been out of football since leaving Queens Park Rangers earlier in the season but will be a key part of Shearer's coaching staff.

Shearer and Dowie remain friends from their time together as players at Southampton.

While Shearer is a novice in the managerial game, Dowie has accrued considerable experience during spells at Oldham, Crystal Palace, Charlton, Coventry and QPR.

Stay tuned to Sky Sports News and skysports.com as we bring you all the breaking news from St James' Park.

Sorry for the opening of this thread, didn't see the other thread had already got this bit in.

Tom do the honors ;)

Edited by bawan

Had a celebratory pint with my bro at lunchtime and I wouldn't be surprised if Kashley has been trying to get Al for weeks.

Al has been playing chicken with him, saying I'll come but not without these conditions.

And likely those conditions (get shot of Dennis, decent cash in the summer, control of transfer matters, decide backroom staff etc) will all be commensurate with what KK would have wanted.

The irony is staggering if this is true like. Shearer to bring KK back? ;)

I think we'll stay up now, I really do. :nufc:

edit: no, it wasn't a pint of gin.

Edited by trophyshy

Been thinking about this new investor theory (that i raised about 20 posts ago ;) ) and it kind of explains the unwillingness of ashley to overspend and pay up front for any acquisitions - he has bought out of necessity really and has kept things ticking over rather than pushing forward (done it on the cheap is probably what i mean)

.COM...

The intriguing possibility has emerged that the Shearer appointment is linked to a new investor in the club and he's been persuaded to take the position by someone other than Ashley and Llambias. The events of the coming days will doubtless prove or disprove that theory.

Interesting.

Hopefully at least part of it is covered out of the saving made by sacking Wise ;)

sacking wise a saving?

he's prob going get a massive compo payout for early termination

is it your money? no

hes gone, its a good thing, be happy about it