Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

My mate from work is off to Paris and has just seen Dennis Wise at the dropoff point at the airport looking mightily pissed off!

Was the little cunt waiting for a taxi perchance? ;)

Fuck knows mate, dunno if he was inbound or outbound (I pray the latter)

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate from work is off to Paris and has just seen Dennis Wise at the dropoff point at the airport looking mightily pissed off!

Heathrow?

He's not been to Newcastle in months has he?

Alan Shearer is still the boy I knew - and the only man who could make Newcastle united again By Simon Bird, the Daily Mirror's man in the North-east 1/04/2009

Sitting on the back seat of the team bus, a young lad called Alan Shearer was fielding questions about his big break to his scraggy set of team-mates from Cramlington Juniors.

The skinny striker from Gosforth, Newcastle, was just 15, and two months away from heading off to Southampton as a 28 quid a week trainee.

We were on the way to Ayr to play in a youth football tournament. Shearer, two age groups above my own team, had been making quite a name for himself in the local junior leagues.

He and his mate Barry Wilson were a deadly strike duo. And the team - most of whom were off to chance their arm as apprentices - had ripped up the record books of the U16 junior league and defeated U18 sides to win the County Cup.

Shearer was clearly one to watch. I listened in. The back seat debate on the slow crawl to Scotland provided clues to the character of the man who Newcastle have now trusted with their future.

He debated the pitfalls of the battle ahead, a kid, like the rest of us, dreaming of simply playing football for a living, never mind becoming a saviour of a football club.

He discussed if he had the pace to make it. Was Wilson a better finisher than him? So many lads fall by the wayside and never make it, would he be among the unlucky ones? Would he get homesick?

Even as a teenager Shearer spoke modestly. Grounded and ready for his first challenge. Aware he had plenty to learn, and quickly. Aware of the work ethic needed for success.

Some 734 club appearances, 378 club goals, 206 for Newcastle, and 30 strikes in 63 games for his country later, Shearer stands on the cusp of his latest big break. His latest huge challenge.

So when the boy of 23 years ago is unveiled as Newcastle boss, there will be no talk from him of him being the Messiah Mark II. He simply has eight games to lift a club on its knees. That is all he will be concentrating on.

Eight games to galvanise a city that has become torn apart over the fortunes of its ailing football club. Shearer will talk about the need for organisation, discipline, work rate and dedication.

Those are traits that made his career. Those are the characteristics he will want Newcastle to demonstrate immediately.

There are no guarantees it will be a success.

But the one victory he has already achieved is to make Newcastle united again. He's the only man Mike Ashley could have appointed to get a city rolling back into line for a defining series of matches.

Shearer will discover that the success of his initial tenure is in the hands of the players. How frustrating will that be for a man who single-handedly carried Newcastle with his will-power and spirit on the pitch for a decade?

Influencing a team on the pitch and from the dug out are entirely different challenges. But both require a man with an aura. Alan Shearer has that. Like Roy Keane, like Kevin Keegan.

He commands respect. When he talks, fellow pros listen. Behind the scenes he will be a more commanding, outspoken character than his clipped comments on Match of the Day hint at.

If he keeps Newcastle up, there can be no looking back. Surely he will then carry on, bolstered and strengthened by a rescue act.

If they go down, he will still be a hero on Tyneside. At least he's giving it his best shot.

Shearer is Mike Ashley's last big gamble, for an owner who likes a gamble. Tyneside will be willing Shearer to lead Newcastle out of their troubles. The people may not trust Ashley, but they do trust Shearer.

Forget winning trophies, dreams of Europe and all that fantasy - survival in the Premiership will do for now.

Then hopefully a period of stability, with Shearer given the time and scope to build a club in his own mould.... tough, disciplined, ambitious and underpinned by a fierce passion for the city that shaped him as a kid.

I am delighted you got your man.

With just over a fortnight until the potential bananna skin, Danny started the charm offensive.

;)

I really mean it, I am glad you have Shearer in charge.

Was the little cunt waiting for a taxi perchance? :nufc:

Fuck knows mate, dunno if he was inbound or outbound (I pray the latter)

I just like the symbolic value in the idea of Dennis Wise waiting for a taxi ;)

I fucking hate him and the thought of him out of the club for good, which will surely happen now, fills me with joy :nufc:

Can you imagine Shearer in a post match interview? Barking at the lads, celebrating when we score and (ffs) win?

It's all quite exciting really. Let's hope he gets a real taste for it. Let's hope he has dictated terms to Ashley who has perhaps finally realised he can't have his cake and sell it on at a profit.

Shearer must surely have an ambition to win something with us eventually. ;)

What happens if he keeps you up then steps down to make way for Kinnear again? That would be weird.

There'd be hell on.

Even if it was Shearers choice?

Guest Stevie

Dowie right hand man. SKY SPORTS BREAKING NEWS

I like Dowie, comes across as a good communicator.

Edited by Stevie

well...was his presence the only thing that changed between roeder being the man who saved us/got us into europe and the disaster that was the next season?

bloke on tv has just made this point actually

Not sure you can give him that much credit for that when he was player-coach as Souness failed miserably too though.

Roeder was just palpably out of his depth once he got the gig for real. That was the main difference imo. The post-Souness honeymoon period was over too. Plenty other factors as well. Shearer might have been one of them though.

Was he sitting in the basket/hand luggage end of the trolley??

Naughty step for throwing his ice-cream at someone

Guest Stevie
I was in a training session yesterday (ran by my company) and this fat little Aston Villa (wank club, wank fans) cunt said it would be a "joy" if Newcastle went down. I was close to getting myself sacked, anyway I had as firm a pop at him as possible and he leapt into the whole deluded over-expecting fans crap. I am SO FUCKING SICK of hearing this, we never fucking win nowt, how the hell can we over-expect?

Don't we just want to be involved and competitive, where our support belongs? If we got relegated the league and the media would be notably worse off, the news coverage today emphasizes the point perfectly.

Wank brummie cunt. Think I might track down his email address and give him some abuse.

This is, as has been said, probably the best we can hope for and if we go down now at least we'll go down as a raging fury and not a limp biscuit.

I hope you told him what a thoroughly wank club he supports, and a smaller club with even worse fans than Tottenham, 3rd top and they couldn't sell out, averaged over 40,000 twice in their history, I would o stamped on the cunts heed [/rocky]