Official Jimbo's TV Confirmation: Alan Shearer: Manager of Newcastle United

Jimbo

I reckon this has been on the table for a while.

Its perfect timing by Shearer too, any earlier and he would be more accountable if we go down. Waiting until we are in the bottom 3 is the masterstroke on his behalf. He would probably argue that there was no need to come before now too since we werent in the relegation places.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the dust settles.......

Keegans great strengths were man-management and that he was genuinely a "good / nice" guy. He could really motivate people and had an eye for a player combined with his passion for Newcastle.

Shearer will have the passion but is much more a very aloof man.

Definately better than the stand ins, but not as excited as I was when keegan was appointed.

Obviously he is not as engaging as KK but how can you be so sure he is very aloof? I think he (sensibly) maintains a certain persona on tv but reckon he's actually a bit of a joker and a man's man. I don't think he'll quite get the players expressing themself to KK's level but he will probably inject more backbone, which is what we need for now.

Had a mate went to do work at his home. Naturally he was extremely excited when Al (his hero) answered the door. High Alan, im from such and such and Ive come to.....

Its Mr Shearer, not Alan came the reply.

He was gutted.

You're about the 5th person i've heard that story from. So either you all share the same mates (unlikely), or it's a load of shite. I've met the man on numerous occasions and he's always seemed like a top bloke.

Just switched the tv on and can't believe it. It's gone 12:00 so it can't be an April fool.

Not read all the pages - fuckin 22 man! But here's my :(

Great news IMO. We need osmeone to lift us and get us in the fighting spirit we need to be in to survive. At the end of the day, Shearer has nowt to lose and everything to gain. We were looking likely for going down before he took over, and it's a mammoth task to avoid that. If we don't it's not his fault.

If anyone can keep us up it's him though.

He wont be here next season though - he's not got the badges has he? He'll be here on a temporary basis to do a job. If he keeps us up and as part of his return, got rid of Wise; then it's job done in my eyes. The way is cleared for a seasoned manager to take us forward next season.

Surely MA has learned by now you can't run a club on a shoestring. I don't expect him ever to splash the cash Roman stylee (and never have) but hell you need to spend a bit! Can we narrowly avoid the jaws of death and learn from our mistakes? or am I getting lost in my renewed optimism?

...... probably ;) It'll be same old, same old next season probably :nufc:

This. btw he does have the right badges. The guy from the league managers assoc has just been on saying its all legit.

Was being sarcastic btw, hence the "...probably " bit at the end. :nufc:

According to the LMA site Shearer's being listed as "Manager" so maybe he has the badges. I assume they would refer to him as something else if he hadn't.

Keegans great strengths were man-management and that he was genuinely a "good / nice" guy. He could really motivate people and had an eye for a player combined with his passion for Newcastle.

Definately better than the stand ins, but not as excited as I was when keegan was appointed.

Obviously he is not as engaging as KK but how can you be so sure he is very aloof? I think he (sensibly) maintains a certain persona on tv but reckon he's actually a bit of a joker and a man's man. I don't think he'll quite get the players expressing themself to KK's level but he will probably inject more backbone, which is what we need for now.

Had a mate went to do work at his home. Naturally he was extremely excited when Al (his hero) answered the door. High Alan, im from such and such and Ive come to.....

He was gutted.

Not exactly the most damning evidence like but I can understand that would make you feel inferior. Maybe MvB was justified too. It might be a right pain in the arse being that famous.

But, maybe your mate is the cunt here, you ever thought about that? ;)

I think everybody has heard that story many a time from many a person.

Doesn't mean it's not true but I would hardly regard it as gospel either. ;)

I met him once and he was sound + my mates Dad played golf with him and Gary Speed and said the same.

He was gutted.

He's a cunt tbh. No bad thing in a way.

Deffo no mincing there ;)

That was my point really in how he will do compared to KK.

Still delighted he's giving it a shot tho.

Wasn't Keegan always seen as a mercenary twat too?

I agree a bit with Danny that its a win win for Ashley with Shearer at the helm.

His appointment will increase ticket sales

Even if we go down, fans will feel more positive because of Shearers involvement.

There will be no horrendous crowd re-action with him in the dug out.

Ashley might be a lot of things, but he is not stupid.

If we go down the fans won't turn around and say "oh well, at least Shearer was involved" man ;)

No they wont, but the atmosphere last game of the season will be less hostile with him in the dug out. There will also be fans who were on the verge of giving up season tickets who will re-consider. There have also been people on the telly already claiming corporates who had decided not to re-new are now renewing.

This is definately only win/win for Ashley

No it isn't, imo. He only 'wins' if we stay up. That's not to say this isn't a good move, I think it is. But a less hostile final match - so fuck tbh? Unlikely we'll be down with 2 games to spare anyway so it's a moot point. Can't see many people renewing purely on the back of this either (although that's partly what MA has in mind, in my view).

Edited by alex

He was gutted.

He's a cunt tbh. No bad thing in a way.

Deffo no mincing there ;)

That was my point really in how he will do compared to KK.

Still delighted he's giving it a shot tho.

Wasn't Keegan always seen as a mercenary twat too?

Of course man. It goes with the territory.

On a less optimistic note, Shearer may only have 3 games to save us not 8. It might be all over bar the shouting by the end of this month. If we can't at least get results from Stoke and Pompy we're probably as good as fucked anyway thinking about it ;)

On a less optimistic note, Shearer may only have 3 games to save us not 8. It might be all over bar the shouting by the end of this month. If we can't at least get results from Stoke and Pompy we're probably as good as fucked anyway thinking about it ;)

Didn't we say the same thing back in 1992 when both Wolves and Derby tonked us....

I seem to recall the consensus was "We'll never get anything against Pompey & Leicester.."

He was gutted.

Could have been worse, Kieron Dyer used to set fire to people (or something similar...).

Lee Ryder''s Blog...

Alan Shearer tonight sensationally accepted the post to take on Newcastle United and attempt to save their place in the Premier League.

The legendary number 9 and club's record scorer will be paraded to the media in due course and will spark scenes of excitement.

It is Mike Ashley's response to the intense pressure heaped upon him after making a real mess of affairs at St James's Park this season.

Ashley backed Dennis Wise at a time when Kevin Keegan was unhappy with life on Tyneside which resulted in him quitting the club causing uproar in Newcastle.

However, how many Ashley crictics will change their tune now Shearer has agreed to join up?

Many will be more concerned with Newcastle staying up and with Chris Hughton failing to raise the much maligned Magpies, masses will feel that with KK's ties well and truly broken with the club despite Wise's imminent departure - Shearer was the only man for the job.

Without doubt Shearer will already have the respect of the dressing room and he won't take any nonsense from anybody - the whole changing room will know the score from day one.

In fact he will strike the fear of God down any player caught slacking to delight the Toon Army.

Then you have the fact that Shearer's return will keep Michael Owen on board and attract new stars in the style of Keegan, if he is handed cash to spend - and that will surely have been a condition of him coming back.

Throw into that the fact that the crowd will be re-ignited and the remaining eight games now have a totally different complexion.

Indeed suddenly beating Chelsea becomes a realistic possibility given Shearer's input, influence and drive - while the must win games over Fulham, Boro and Pompey have also become sell out matches.

For many there were always only two candidates to get Newcastle back on the map, Kevin Keegan or Big Al.

With many feeling KK's patience at SJP had been cracked all together and beyond repair, Shearer's fresh input is the best case scenario.

And even though Shearer doesn't have managerial experience - the only question for Geordies is: Who cares?

Shearer has been working quietly on his coaching badges since retirement but it looks like he has ended up with itchy feet despite the comfort of TV studios.

Shearer is the main man on Tyneside and now the hurdle of the ex-England skipper getting on with Ashley has been overcome, many now feel that staying up is suddenly no longer such a struggle.

A new manager will never come in with the club top of the table but Shearer would perhaps prefer to come in now rather than in the Championship - which is where we were heading until this evening.

With Wise on the way out, the future of Joe Kinnear is also up in the air but whether he will be retained in an upstairs role is still to be confirmed.

Either way, Shearer's dramatic return has sent shockwaves around the football world.

More importantly though his arrival should save Newcastle and while Ashley and Derek Llambias have been battered from pillar to post - where does it leave your feelings on the controverisal duo now?

What a tooll.

Going on like we're safe and Ashley and Llambias are the ones to thank.

What a lid!

Lee Ryder''s Blog...

Alan Shearer tonight sensationally accepted the post to take on Newcastle United and attempt to save their place in the Premier League.

The legendary number 9 and club's record scorer will be paraded to the media in due course and will spark scenes of excitement.

It is Mike Ashley's response to the intense pressure heaped upon him after making a real mess of affairs at St James's Park this season.

Ashley backed Dennis Wise at a time when Kevin Keegan was unhappy with life on Tyneside which resulted in him quitting the club causing uproar in Newcastle.

However, how many Ashley crictics will change their tune now Shearer has agreed to join up?

Many will be more concerned with Newcastle staying up and with Chris Hughton failing to raise the much maligned Magpies, masses will feel that with KK's ties well and truly broken with the club despite Wise's imminent departure - Shearer was the only man for the job.

Without doubt Shearer will already have the respect of the dressing room and he won't take any nonsense from anybody - the whole changing room will know the score from day one.

In fact he will strike the fear of God down any player caught slacking to delight the Toon Army.

Then you have the fact that Shearer's return will keep Michael Owen on board and attract new stars in the style of Keegan, if he is handed cash to spend - and that will surely have been a condition of him coming back.

Throw into that the fact that the crowd will be re-ignited and the remaining eight games now have a totally different complexion.

Indeed suddenly beating Chelsea becomes a realistic possibility given Shearer's input, influence and drive - while the must win games over Fulham, Boro and Pompey have also become sell out matches.

For many there were always only two candidates to get Newcastle back on the map, Kevin Keegan or Big Al.

With many feeling KK's patience at SJP had been cracked all together and beyond repair, Shearer's fresh input is the best case scenario.

And even though Shearer doesn't have managerial experience - the only question for Geordies is: Who cares?

Shearer has been working quietly on his coaching badges since retirement but it looks like he has ended up with itchy feet despite the comfort of TV studios.

Shearer is the main man on Tyneside and now the hurdle of the ex-England skipper getting on with Ashley has been overcome, many now feel that staying up is suddenly no longer such a struggle.

A new manager will never come in with the club top of the table but Shearer would perhaps prefer to come in now rather than in the Championship - which is where we were heading until this evening.

With Wise on the way out, the future of Joe Kinnear is also up in the air but whether he will be retained in an upstairs role is still to be confirmed.

Either way, Shearer's dramatic return has sent shockwaves around the football world.

More importantly though his arrival should save Newcastle and while Ashley and Derek Llambias have been battered from pillar to post - where does it leave your feelings on the controverisal duo now?

What a tooll.

What a lid!

I just hope he's right.......

On a less optimistic note, Shearer may only have 3 games to save us not 8. It might be all over bar the shouting by the end of this month. If we can't at least get results from Stoke and Pompy we're probably as good as fucked anyway thinking about it :nufc:

Didn't we say the same thing back in 1992 when both Wolves and Derby tonked us....

I seem to recall the consensus was "We'll never get anything against Pompey & Leicester.."

:nufc: Aye, you're not wrong like.

Still can't get the Mission Impossible theme out of my head though ;)

Seen a great signature thingy here

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcas...72703-23285089/

How do you get it into a signature

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.widgetserver.com/syndication/subscriber/InsertWidget.js"></script><script>if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('d0b6231f-c4cd-487a-9429-dbf702466d44');</script><noscript>Get the <a href="http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/graphictimer">Graphic Timer</a> widget and many other <a href="http://www.widgetbox.com/">great free widgets</a> at <a href="http://www.widgetbox.com">Widgetbox</a>!</noscript>

Shove that in there, I think

Lee Ryder''s Blog...

What a tooll.

What a lid!

To be fair they'll deserve some credit if we do stay up.