--------Owen---Viduka---Martins--------

For me :D

--------------------Harper-----------------

--Beye---Bassong---Saylor---Enrique--

--------Jonas---Guthrie---Duff-----------

--------------------Owen------------------

--------------Viduka---Martins-----------

This for me.

That's exactly what I was going to post.

I'd swap Carroll for Viduka part way through the match if the fat man is tiring (which he will be having been out so long).

Really, Jonas and Duff have to push forwards and make runs and crosses. They need to learn fast too :razz:

The minute you start playing players on reputation rather then form you are in bother. Cost Mclaren the England job. Martins and Viduka showed on Sunday they should be our starting 2. Owen has had 1 shot on target in 5 games

The minute you start playing players on reputation rather then form you are in bother. Cost Mclaren the England job. Martins and Viduka showed on Sunday they should be our starting 2. Owen has had 1 shot on target in 5 games

So in the starting XI that Jimbo, Maggiespaws and myself suggest, who would you replace Owen with? (baring in mind we've already got Martins and Viduka on the pitch)?

--Beye---Bassong---Collocini---Enrique--

--------Jonas---Barton---Duff-----------

So in the starting XI that Jimbo, Maggiespaws and myself suggest, who would you replace Owen with? (baring in mind we've already got Martins and Viduka on the pitch)?

Either Carroll or a 442 with Barton in the middle

Personally I wouldn't risk Barton just yet but I'd definitely have him on the bench. I'd prefer to start with Owen and bring Carroll on if needed too.

Personally I wouldn't risk Barton just yet but I'd definitely have him on the bench. I'd prefer to start with Owen and bring Carroll on if needed too.

Think we have to risk him. We're shit-or-bust every game now, and we aren't winning anything with the crock-of-shit of a midfield of recent weeks.

Well we soon sorted this today. And Barton is no better than Nolan, Guthrie, Butt or any other of the slow, one dimensional players we have at the club. Dont kid yourself hes going to make any difference whatsoever to the way we play

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry594092

:nufc:

Id play Owen in a 433.

Agree totally:

--------Owen---Viduka---Martins--------

For me :nufc:

This for me.

Exactly it. Our best starting XI I believe (don't even talk to me about Barton.) This team can beat Portsmouth, I am sure of it.

harper

beye saylor bassong enrique

smith/barton guthrie jonas

owen

martins viduka

i would say there is enough fight and battle in the middle of that team and leaving most the shite out of the team. I cant believe the stick butt and jonas take on here, but duff is totally 1 footed, cant beat a man, every defender knows he will never use his left foot, he is weak as piss too, my granny could knock the fucker of the ball. seems like people seem to think duff is one of our 'better midfielders' but i fail to see it

Aye, Barton needs to be at least on the bench. He could play instead of Guthrie and give us some bite, but whether he starts the match or ends it (swapping with Guthrie) I can't see him lasting the full 90. Personally, I think we should start with Guthrie and bring Barton on as an impact sub later in the game.

Same goes for Viduka (not lasting the 90), hence my earlier suggestion of starting him and replacing him with Carroll once he tires later into the match. I'd rather have the experience of Owen on the pitch with an option to take him off than the other way round and like I've said, Viduka won't last the 90 so Carroll is the obvious replacement when that happens.

harper

owen

martins viduka

i would say there is enough fight and battle in the middle of that team and leaving most the shite out of the team. I cant believe the stick butt and jonas take on here, but duff is totally 1 footed, cant beat a man, every defender knows he will never use his left foot, he is weak as piss too, my granny could knock the fucker of the ball. seems like people seem to think duff is one of our 'better midfielders' but i fail to see it

I've said this in other threads, but just to be clear - I dont rate Duff either - he's been a massive disappointment. However, he is at least a natural left winger, who (far less than he should) does occasionally get his head right and make proper runs down the wing, beating a man - particularly when he links up with Enrique. We need wingers to get crosses in and make decent passes to our forwards (of which we'd have 3 of on the pitch) and Duff is a winger. I know Jonas can play left or right, but Duff is even less effective on the right. That leaves Jonas for the right - who, admittedly; seems to suffer from the same lack of belief in beating a man and the same ability (or lack of) to put decent crosses in as Duff. They are both still our best winger options though ( :nufc: ).

Barton or Smith are far worse options on the right than Jonas.

So, if we are to play 3 at the front, we either play 3 in the middle with Owen linking the two (moreso near the forward line though); or we pack the midfield and play 3 at the back. I'd say going with the former is a better idea as I'd not drop Saylor or Bassong and Beye/Enrique are essential at right/leftback.

The team picks itself really.

I wonder though, if Big Al will pick Butt over Guthrie/Barton - partly because he's at least match fit and also because at least he's shown some fighting spirit and does he deserve to be dropped for a 1/2 fit player?

harper

owen

martins viduka

I've said this in other threads, but just to be clear - I dont rate Duff either - he's been a massive disappointment. However, he is at least a natural left winger, who (far less than he should) does occasionally get his head right and make proper runs down the wing, beating a man - particularly when he links up with Enrique. We need wingers to get crosses in and make decent passes to our forwards (of which we'd have 3 of on the pitch) and Duff is a winger. I know Jonas can play left or right, but Duff is even less effective on the right. That leaves Jonas for the right - who, admittedly; seems to suffer from the same lack of belief in beating a man and the same ability (or lack of) to put decent crosses in as Duff. They are both still our best winger options though ( :nufc: ).

Barton or Smith are far worse options on the right than Jonas.

So, if we are to play 3 at the front, we either play 3 in the middle with Owen linking the two (moreso near the forward line though); or we pack the midfield and play 3 at the back. I'd say going with the former is a better idea as I'd not drop Saylor or Bassong and Beye/Enrique are essential at right/leftback.

The team picks itself really.

I wonder though, if Big Al will pick Butt over Guthrie/Barton - partly because he's at least match fit and also because at least he's shown some fighting spirit and does he deserve to be dropped for a 1/2 fit player?

problem is if your going with a midfield 3 you cant have 2 winger in there. you could maybe get away with a so called winger like jonas because he gets stuck in but we all know duff does not. even put butt in there, he gets stuck in too. in my opinion if you have 3 forwards you need to have 3 grafters/hard workers and maybe one who can pass, but owen done all the passing last season I would say the 3 behind him just battled for the cause. the onus is on the full backs to provide the width in a midfield 3 and forward 3. I think Habib and Enrique can do this too. This is how this formation papered over the cracks for keegan

Edited by charvski

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle6289040.ece

I once had a boss who told me that one of the hardest parts of his job was retiring “talent”, not finding it. At the time he was delicately working out how to replace Murray Walker, the legendary commentator. The boss went on to become chief executive of the FA and will remind you that he hired Fabio Capello, but he also hired Steve McClaren, so there's no magic formula to talent-spotting, as Brian Barwick will attest. There is at least a formula for getting rid of an England manager: fail to qualify and you're out. It's a much less objective process when you are playing the game, not orchestrating it.

When does a great footballer call time on his career? Does he play down the leagues because he loves the sport so much or walk away unable to work alongside only average team-mates? Or does his body dictate the terms?

Watching Michael Owen make his way to the subs' bench on Monday night at St James' Park was a reminder of our mortality. His body is failing him, his ravaged hamstrings have left him unable to make the same dinky, darting runs and he's a bundle of frustration; he's not being given the service he'd like. Where does he go from here? Allegedly he would like it to be Manchester City, but he has played fewer games for Newcastle United than any club in his career, averaging 19 a season. Surely any prospective buyer would ask if he can get back to 40 games a season and give value for money.

I imagine that Alan Shearer wished he'd had the excuse of injury to substitute his mate during Monday's match against Middlesbrough, because nobody will understand the disappointment more than Shearer. It's the hurt when a player's career is running out of steam and he hasn't even turned 30. The hurt when your replacement scores a minute after you plonked your sorry bottom in the dugout.

And what goes through your mind at that moment? I don't need this; I've got my horses and my family and enough money to live well for ever. I'm out of here; I need to be playing for a team who give me service, a team who'll give me 20 goals a season and a way back into an England shirt, for that seems to be Owen's football raison d'être.

Perhaps what went through his mind were a stream of images, that goal against Argentina in 1998 - lifting the FA Cup, lifting the Uefa Cup, running out at the Bernabéu. All of those glories happening before the age of 26.

There is a theory that sportsmen have so many good days in them, to be used at the start or at the end, but once you've used them, that's it. Usually a career builds up to a period of brilliance and tails off. Because of the natural ageing process, a sportsman's physical peak is somewhere in the late twenties. Talent can prolong a career way beyond that; Teddy Sheringham's clever adaptation of his game took his career beyond its physical limits. He was 31 when he signed for Manchester United and 33 when he scored in the 1999 Champions League final.

But Owen started very young, performing in the World Cup finals at 18. He didn't have time to build up to 40 matches a season as his body might have preferred. In the season before the World Cup finals in France in 1998, Owen had made 44 appearances for Liverpool and scored 23 goals. He had done enough at the age of 22 to win the European Footballer of the Year award.

Should Liverpool have eased him into professional life? Can you blame them for using him to the extent that they did? After all, they signed him at 16 knowing that in a few years he could walk away on a Bosman.

Liverpool were not the first club to play a prodigious kid and they won't be the last. Norman Whiteside was 17 when he started playing for Manchester United and 24 when he left for Everton. Two years later he was retired, his body unable to cope with the endless operations and doctors warning him that walking would be a problem, let alone running, if he carried on playing. The history books will tell us that he is the youngest player to appear in the World Cup finals and the youngest to score in an FA Cup Final.

Whiteside is one year older than Sheringham, who was 20 before he played every game in a season for Millwall and didn't sign for Nottingham Forest until he was 25, mentally and physically a man. Is there any coincidence that Sheringham's career lasted almost 16 years longer than Whiteside's?

Wayne Rooney played 37 times for Everton in his first full season at 17 and he has not played fewer than 40 games a season since. Should we be worried for him? Unlike Owen, Rooney does appear to repair well, and United also have the luxury of not having to rely on him in quite the same way Liverpool did on Owen for so many consecutive seasons.

Perhaps Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson is the best place for longevity: witness Ryan Giggs. Maybe that's the answer; Owen to United to drink from the fountain of eternal football youth? Stranger things have happened.

Guest alex

Thing is with Owen as well, he's a model pro who looks after himself so it's not like he's created problems for himself due to his lifestyle. I still think he's a better player than he's looked over the last couple of months or so though.

Thing is with Owen as well, he's a model pro who looks after himself so it's not like he's created problems for himself due to his lifestyle. I still think he's a better player than he's looked over the last couple of months or so though.

Sums it up for me.

He's looked poor of late, no question, but it's a bit early to write him off for me.