Jimbo

The Boxing thread

aye pretty much

talked himself up, has been caught out and realised that Klitschko won't be getting sucked in with the mind games this time and will just resume business as usual and  out box him, so is now looking a way out where he can still pull the "i won and we'll never know what would've happened" card for interviews

called it

Just because he's a fucking dick it doesn't mean his mental issues aren't real or serious.

it doesn't, but i'm swaying toward the cynical side that he's just a lazy bamp rather than giving him the benefit that he's had a meltdown.

His attitude and approach just seem to make it more likely he got his big payday name in lights and went into party mode rather than he struggled with the fame/pressure and went off the rails.

guess we may/may not find out over the next while which.

I can believe the mental issues. When you see him interviewed, there's basically two versions of him. There's one where he's basically saying anything to get a rise and then there's a sincere version. Despite not agreeing with a lot of his views the latter is surprisingly likeable. I've seen him say he'll quit boxing before and, to be honest, I think he's sincere when he says stuff like that at the time, and I think he changes his mind when his mood swings. He's also correct in some of his complaints about not getting a fair crack of the whip, the IBF couldn't wait to strip him of his belt for example. Also the press were more bothered about some of the stuff he said in the immediate aftermath of his world title than the fantastic achievement it clearly was. The stuff that's been made of some of the stuff he's said too, like saying Jess Ennis would look good in a dress ffs. Blokes down the pub say stuff 10x more sexist. I don't deny he's his own worst enemy at times but I do think the 'demons' are genuine.

I don't really follow boxing, but is he as good as he thinks he is?

No, but the heavyweight division isn't exactly graced with people who you'd think are quality if you were comparing them to former poster on your wall type world champs, so he's as good as he needs to be really to be up around the top for that weight division.

peaks and troughs, and that division has been in a fairly large trough for a while imo (Alex/Jimbo would be bigger followers of the sport than me mind so i'd go with whatever they say)

He's a very ordinary heavyweight in a very poor era, he's not great, he's just currently the tallest midget in the circus.

Esssentially he's a dull but very effective boxer. It's this, rather than a lot of the other things, which is the main reason why he's not as loved as someone like Joshua amongst boxing fans. It's far from a foregone conclusion Klitschko would've won a rematch because he's mobile, has surprisingly good hand speed and has an awkward style. He couldn't cope with those things along with Fury's size in the first fight.