World Cup Bid

The Fish

England Stadia  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The US Bid committee put forward a list of over 70 stadia. I think the point is to show that there is a plethora (are a plethora?) of grounds that could host matches if needed, to show flexibility and ability to spread venues (and thus crowds) across the relatively small country (in England's case) or to keep travel relatively affordable in a large country (USA). It makes sense to me to list as many venues as possibly might be included in a bid such as this.

The USA don't deserve anything. Mongrel race of people playing wank sports, come back when football is the number one sport.

We're the sole reason you're not speaking German right now, tbh, so stfu, yflw. <_<

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
The US Bid committee put forward a list of over 70 stadia. I think the point is to show that there is a plethora (are a plethora?) of grounds that could host matches if needed, to show flexibility and ability to spread venues (and thus crowds) across the relatively small country (in England's case) or to keep travel relatively affordable in a large country (USA). It makes sense to me to list as many venues as possibly might be included in a bid such as this.

The USA don't deserve anything. Mongrel race of people playing wank sports, come back when football is the number one sport.

We're the sole reason you're not speaking German right now, tbh, so stfu, yflw. <_<

Are you fuck, if we hadn't bravely fought on our own against all odds for 3 years, you wouldn't even exist mate, that is a fuckin nailed on fact. If it wasn't for the English you'd be krauts, and don't you fuckin forget it.

Guest alex

Not that the USA should get it again in the near future (although they probably will) but the aerial view of the 94 final at the Pasedena Rose Bowl was mental.

If we lose this bid it's a joke especially to USA not only did they hold it recently but the vast majority of it's citizens couldn't give a stuff about football, for the country that invented the game not to have held the world cup tournament in 40 odd year is a total disgrace tbh.

<_< I didn't think this poll through....

one of the mods delete the St James' park option please? I can't work out how to

Done.

Guest Stevie

I think we should host the World Cup every third tournament to be honest, I really believe that. It's our game and foreign bodies like FIFA and UEFA have took the piss too often now.

Edited by Stevie

"We cannot be arrogant or complacent. This campaign has to be about working hard," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"One of the things we learned from the last World Cup bid was we were perceived to be arrogant around the world in how we presented ourselves.

Triesman calls for World Cup bid support

"The tone of this campaign has to be different. We will certainly not be saying that football is coming home. It was an arrogant slogan."

The reason the US will get it again soon is the simple fact that FIFA is full of money grubbing bastards. USA94 grossed more than France 98 or Japorea 2002 despite only having 24 teams. I don't know if Germany '06 grossed more or not.

Most people might "not care" (They care a lot mroe than you give them credit for; they'll watch the spectacle of a world cup, just not pay attention in between, much like the Olympics) but they'll still pay.

Plus of course that in the USA you'll be treated like a terrorist - which makes me wonder if thee isn't another motive for hosting it. ;)

One of the reasons UEFA like the SOS, is the dressing rooms are the same size, one of the reasons SJP isn't rated as 5 star is because of this, as well as there not being 500 5* hotel rooms in the area, which I find hard to believe.

Actually, the reason why SJP isn't rated 5 star is because it has never been in a bid for a Uefa Champions League or Europa/Uefa Cup Final, otherwise SJP would meet the criteria for 5 star rating. It the same reason why Park Head in Glasgow isn't rated 5 star and many other around Europe.

Rating of a ground is only given when that ground has made a bid of hosting a Final, hopefully the World Cup will also be included in this and SJP will be given the 5 star rating that it deserves, or we could make a bid to host a final in future.

"We cannot be arrogant or complacent. This campaign has to be about working hard," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"One of the things we learned from the last World Cup bid was we were perceived to be arrogant around the world in how we presented ourselves.

Triesman calls for World Cup bid support

"The tone of this campaign has to be different. We will certainly not be saying that football is coming home. It was an arrogant slogan."

bollocks

One of the reasons UEFA like the SOS, is the dressing rooms are the same size, one of the reasons SJP isn't rated as 5 star is because of this, as well as there not being 500 5* hotel rooms in the area, which I find hard to believe.

Actually, the reason why SJP isn't rated 5 star is because it has never been in a bid for a Uefa Champions League or Europa/Uefa Cup Final, otherwise SJP would meet the criteria for 5 star rating. It the same reason why Park Head in Glasgow isn't rated 5 star and many other around Europe.

Rating of a ground is only given when that ground has made a bid of hosting a Final, hopefully the World Cup will also be included in this and SJP will be given the 5 star rating that it deserves, or we could make a bid to host a final in future.

Weren't we shortlisted in 2007 for the UEFA Cup final?

Old Trafford and the SOL are both class grounds, I suspect it's only bitterness that could say otherwise. SJP is better though because of its close links to the town. It will be mad if we don't get this bid this time, if we do hopefully we'll get some class teams in the NE group and get a quarter final at least.

Edited by Renton

Old Trafford and the SOL are both class grounds, I suspect it's only bitterness that could say otherwise. SJP is better though because of its close links to the town. It will be mad if we don't get this bid this time, if we do hopefully we'll get some class teams in the NE group and get a quarter final at least.

Its mental that the country who gave the world football and who has more stadiums of suitable size than pretty much any other country that are made for football, has only ever hosted the tournament once in our entire history.

Its also pretty poor how rarely English grounds do host CL or UEFA finals, particularly as the fans of the two teams in question would get a hell of a lot more tickets each playing at St. James, SOL etc than in some of the far smaller grounds i've seen UEFA finals go to.

No, Man City was England's bid for that, and eventuall winners as well.

I don't remember when it was but i'm sure we were up for one of the UEFA cups as the chronicle did some stuff about it.

Found this on the web, will look for something with more detail:

Hampden hope for next year's UEFA Cup final

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 04 November 2003

HAMPDEN Park is on a short-list of six to host next season’s UEFA Cup final.

It is up against Newcastle United’s St James’ Park, Sunderland’s Stadium of Light, Benfica’s Stadium of Light, Sporting Lisbon’s Jose Alvado and Porto’s Estadio do Dragao.

A decision will be made by UEFA on 10 or 11 December.

Here we are:http://www.fsf.org.uk/ground-guide/stadiums/newcastle-united/stjames-park/

St.James’ Park has twice been short-listed to host the UEFA Cup Final, only to lose out to Gothenburg’s Ullevi Stadium and Hampden Park, Glasgow. However it has hosted a European final, when Newcastle United gained a 3-0 lead in the first leg of the 1968/69 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final against Hungarian side Ujpesti Dozsa.

I don't remember when it was but i'm sure we were up for one of the UEFA cups as the chronicle did some stuff about it.

Aye, we applied for one back in the early 00's. I'm pretty sure the rules have changed since then though hence our lack of 5 stars.

Aye, we applied for one back in the early 00's. I'm pretty sure the rules have changed since then though hence our lack of 5 stars.

Thanks, but what I said above is why we are not rated at 5 star, or indeed rated at all. OT is rated 5 star by Uefa, but at a lower capacity, because some of the seats are too close to the pitch, so if OT ever held a final again, it would not be allowed to use those seats, I think, but I maybe wrong, that this is also the case for any normal Uefa games at OT.

I hope, that if we stay up (or come back up quickly), we could extend SJP to 60,000, this would be great for the Olympic games, Rugby World Cup if we get it, and the Fifa World Cup if we get it, it would also mean that we would almost certianly be a cert for any Europa Cup Final we bid for, or even a Champions League Final at a push.