Smokers of the world unite and take over.

Park Life

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find most smokers have a sexy death wish kind of charisma.

Yeah when I see a charva tabbing, that's exactly what I see. Charisma.

Idiotic habit, and I'm sorry but you don't look cool. Photos of movie icons smoking look cool. Your average knobhead just looks like an unhealthy idiot. So smokers, I would think about stopping if part of your motivation is that you think you look cool. :icon_lol:

I'm sorry Gemma I don't associate with Charvas. :icon_lol:

I live in one of the classiest neighbourhoods in Europe and the cafes are full of smokers.

Christ lads, the point wasn't about class. It was meant to demonstrate that you don't look like you have a sexy death wish charisma, but rather that you're as hopelessly and stupidly addicted as your average charva is, to something which is particularly unhealthy and makes you smell. :rolleyes:

Idiotic habit, and I'm sorry but you don't look cool. Photos of movie icons smoking look cool. Your average knobhead just looks like an unhealthy idiot. So smokers, I would think about stopping if part of your motivation is that you think you look cool. :lol:

It's a horrible slow death as well....................

Idiotic habit, and I'm sorry but you don't look cool. Photos of movie icons smoking look cool. Your average knobhead just looks like an unhealthy idiot. So smokers, I would think about stopping if part of your motivation is that you think you look cool. :lol:

Completely naked base jumping is quicker and sexier. ;)

Nudity isn't really sexy. All the things in-between are.

Nudity isn't really sexy. All the things in-between are.

Striping skydiving wedding. ;)

• 3 months later...
Smoking bans 'cut heart attacks'

Bans on smoking in public places have had a bigger impact on preventing heart attacks than ever expected, data shows.

Smoking bans cut the number of heart attacks in Europe and North America by up to a third, two studies report.

This "heart gain" is far greater than both originally anticipated and the 10% figure recently quoted by England's Department of Health.

The studies appear in two leading journals - Circulation and the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Heart attacks in the UK alone affect an estimated 275,000 people and kill 146,000 each year.

Big impact

Earlier this month it was announced that heart attack rates fell by about 10% in England in the year after the ban on smoking in public places was introduced in July 2007 - which is more than originally anticipated.

But the latest work, based on the results of numerous different studies collectively involving millions of people, indicated that smoking bans have reduced heart attack rates by as much as 26% per year.

Second-hand smoke is thought to increase the chances of a heart attack by making the blood more prone to clotting, reducing levels of beneficial "good" cholesterol, and raising the risk of dangerous heart rhythms.

Dr James Lightwood, of the University of California at San Francisco, led the Circulation study that pooled together 13 separate analyses.

His team found that heart attack rates across Europe and North America started to drop immediately following implementation of anti-smoking laws, reaching 17% after one year, then continuing to decline over time, with a 36% drop three years after enacting the restrictions.

Dr Lightwood said: "While we obviously won't bring heart attack rates to zero, these findings give us evidence that in the short-to-medium-term, smoking bans will prevent a lot of heart attacks.

"This study adds to the already strong evidence that second-hand smoke causes heart attacks, and that passing 100% smoke-free laws in all workplaces and public places is something we can do to protect the public."

Ellen Mason, of the British Heart Foundation, said: "These studies add to the growing evidence that a ban on smoking in public places seems to have a positive impact on heart attack rates, which is clearly good news for our nation's heart health.

"The statistics also show how quickly the benefits can be felt after a smoking ban is implemented and indicate how dangerous second-hand smoke can be to the heart.

"If you are a smoker, the single biggest thing you can do to avoid a heart attack is to give up, which could also protect the heart health of friends and family."

Latest figures show at least 70,000 lives have been saved by NHS Stop Smoking Services in the 10 years since they were established in England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8267523.stm

I barely smoke tabs (once in a blue moon) these days but I love it when (like at the weekend) it irritates the fuck out of non-smokers who are sat outside in bars because of the nice weather.

Edited by alex

Where has the smoking ban most affected? The only places I can think of where it has had a major effect is in pubs and cafes and I can't see 36% of the population spending enough time in these places to notice a change on their health.

I barely smoke tabs (once in a blue moon) these days but I love it when (like at the weekend) it irritates the fuck out of non-smokers who are sat outside in bars because of the nice weather.

:huh:

aye, thats canny funny!!