Martins sold

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a blazing row with my brother today about the pros and cons of Martins (he's your typical Oba fanboy and he hates Owen). It went something like this:

Me: "He can't finish"

Him: "Aye he can"

Me: "He can't control the ball"

Me: "He can't use his pace properly"

Me: "His goal to game record is worse than Owen's"

Him: "erm.....ju.....err.......FUCK OFF!!!"

I thought he was going to cry :lol:

So we've sold Martins, we can't do a thing in case it 'isn't fair to the new owners' but we've now sold Martins. Looking at the bigger picture, it surely screams out ASHLEY STAYING!!!

Overall, if it really is £9M then we've done ok, then again, I thought that we'd maybe done the sensible thing when we sold 30 year old Sir Les for £6M. DOH!!!

At least he looked like he was trying and gave an occasional sound bite towards the fans. Might only be token gestures but in the modern world of football, and with some of the cunts at our club, I wish him well in the future. He left Inter to come here remember, it would have been easy enough for him to have his agent bitching to the press about how we ruined his life ala owen

Not sure you could say that for last season. He was ineffectual and never seemed to be giving anything approaching his all.

to be fair players like him need through balls to run onto, we didn't have a single player in midfield capable of doing it, or anyone decent enough to knock balls down to him that was fit. most of the time passes to our front men were either #1 punted up, or #2 passed out wide where the likes of oba/owen/shola etc were meant to hold them up and then had 0support anyways.

ah well i liked Martins, scored a reasonable amount of goals for us, be interesting to see how he does if he has a decent midfield behind him.

and like Kid Dynamite said he didn't release a brochure to get this transfer sorted :lol:

His movement was absolutely terrible though. Possibly the worst aspect of his game.

Spot on. Ant's argument was more appropriate for Owen, not Martins.

At least he looked like he was trying and gave an occasional sound bite towards the fans. Might only be token gestures but in the modern world of football, and with some of the cunts at our club, I wish him well in the future. He left Inter to come here remember, it would have been easy enough for him to have his agent bitching to the press about how we ruined his life ala owen

Not sure you could say that for last season. He was ineffectual and never seemed to be giving anything approaching his all.

to be fair players like him need through balls to run onto, we didn't have a single player in midfield capable of doing it, or anyone decent enough to knock balls down to him that was fit. most of the time passes to our front men were either #1 punted up, or #2 passed out wide where the likes of oba/owen/shola etc were meant to hold them up and then had 0support anyways.

ah well i liked Martins, scored a reasonable amount of goals for us, be interesting to see how he does if he has a decent midfield behind him.

and like Kid Dynamite said he didn't release a brochure to get this transfer sorted :lol:

His movement was absolutely terrible though. Possibly the worst aspect of his game.

Except that owen has no pace now and his clinical finishing seemed to have gone a miss and all (for us anyways)

for all the slating of Martins and the whole him vs owen debate, he cost less, played more over a shorter period of time and scored more goals for us.

We've had (and still have) worse and won't have better for a very very long time.

9m for a player that wont be replaced...him leaving does no good but getting a high paid player of the wage bill unfort

£9m for a player we couldn't afford to keep too. However which way you argue it, he was leaving and I'd rather we'd got £9m for him that zilch like we got for Owen.

Sadly that's what happens when they're paid too much and we get relegated.

Thinking we could hold on to them was cloud cuckoo land tbf.

Is it going to be desperation loan strikers from now on, Tommy Gaynor from Forest, Dave Mitchell, the bearded Aussie from, fuck knows, (Swindon). :lol: Anyway, what a legacy totally wasted by some clueless fucking cretins, Shep started the ball rolling, Ashley came along like the clueless cockney we've all met in a bar who had great difficulty establishing 'Arse' from 'Elbow' and now we're back to square one. FECK!

Its a good bit of business and it looks like they have the ability to maximise the profits from sales - but whether any of this can be re-invested is another matter - frustrating thing is though if you take into account the parachute payments plus the money you can get from sales then chuck in the lower wage obligation its ridiculous to that Ashley can't see the opportunity to take us forward and get back to the top flight and then sell

Edited by Norbert Colon

Except that owen has no pace now and his clinical finishing seemed to have gone a miss and all (for us anyways)

for all the slating of Martins and the whole him vs owen debate, he cost less, played more over a shorter period of time and scored more goals for us.

We've had (and still have) worse and won't have better for a very very long time.

9m for a player that wont be replaced...him leaving does no good but getting a high paid player of the wage bill unfort

Tbh Ant the bit I highlighted shows how clueless you are again. How exactly is a player with absolutely dreadful movement the type of player who needs through balls to run onto? I don't see what Owen's got to do with it because he clearly didn't deliver the goods. The fact that he had two very serious injuries in his time here though yet Martins had nearly as bad an injury record says a lot. I can understand you slagging Owen off but Martins was an absolutely shit signing too so I can't understand why you keep on defending him.