Alan Smith

Guest Hova

What's impressing me is how well he's taken to being captain. After watching Owen be a disgrace to the captaincy for all those months, it's good to see someone actually trying to inspire the players around him and setting an example.

(at this level...)

exactly. he's a liability in the top flight.

bizarre also that he has become a championship version of makelele minus the goals

Makele barely scored any.

exactly

What's impressing me is how well he's taken to being captain. After watching Owen be a disgrace to the captaincy for all those months, it's good to see someone actually trying to inspire the players around him and setting an example.

This

(at this level...)

exactly. he's a liability in the top flight.

bizarre also that he has become a championship version of makelele minus the goals

Makele barely scored any.

exactly

:)

(at this level...)

Unfair, quite a few of us on here where championing him on here last year instead of the hopeless Butt.

How exactly is it unfair, I am basing it on 39 games in the premiership in a black and white shirt as opposed to 6 in the fizzy pop league.

Don't get me wrong I think he is playing very well and taking the captaincy role on very well and think he will be a key player for us this season. However I am not going to be naive and think all of a sudden the last few years did not happen and all of sudden half of the current team are actually that good, remember most of these guys are the same players who took us down.

This

:)

He's not perfect but with him, I know there'll be no lack of fight on the pitch.

Smith's doing a cracking job for us and will be a key player this season, he seemed to be everywhere anything happened today, covering a hell of alot of ground, blocking and tackling everything. And this season i think his use of the ball has been good, usually playing it simple and keeping us ticking along, plus as some have said he's taking the role of captain well.

He is going to pick up some suspensions this season but its the risk he'll run for playign the way he is, and playing like that is working well for us so he will continue to push the limits all the time.

What he would do in the prem is a different matter as the games he played there he tended to struggle, but that doesn't matter at the moment, he can only be judged on the division he's playing in right now and if we go up it will become an issue.

(at this level...)

Unfair, quite a few of us on here where championing him on here last year instead of the hopeless Butt.

How exactly is it unfair, I am basing it on 39 games in the premiership in a black and white shirt as opposed to 6 in the fizzy pop league.

Don't get me wrong I think he is playing very well and taking the captaincy role on very well and think he will be a key player for us this season. However I am not going to be naive and think all of a sudden the last few years did not happen and all of sudden half of the current team are actually that good, remember most of these guys are the same players who took us down.

Not really. Most of this team didnt.

Given, Beye, Bassong, Duff, Jonas, Martins, Owen, Viduka, off the top of my head.

As someones already mentioned, Smith has never really had this role as duffer Butt had it sewn up.

The only way this season can go tits up for me is if Butt regains his place and Jonas. Keep them too out of the way (Jonas as a super sub to confuse tired opposition) and we will be ok.

I think your being harsh on Jonas there like, his link up play with Enrique is superb and at this level he will piss the league.

(at this level...)

Not really. Most of this team didnt.

Given, Beye, Bassong, Duff, Jonas, Martins, Owen, Viduka, off the top of my head.

As someones already mentioned, Smith has never really had this role as duffer Butt had it sewn up.

The only way this season can go tits up for me is if Butt regains his place and Jonas. Keep them too out of the way (Jonas as a super sub to confuse tired opposition) and we will be ok.

I think your being harsh on Jonas there like, his link up play with Enrique is superb and at this level he will piss the league.

Definitely, we'd all like better distribution from him, but he offers us genuine pace and width, and is always an option to give the ball to and he'll run with it. He wins freekicks and in this division he is going to set up goals and who knows maybe even score a couple. And he does link well with Enrique as Jose has commented on himself.

You have to wonder if there's much point in arguing the point with anyone who thinks Alan Smith wasn't dogshit for us in Premier League.

Come on Alex , You can do better than this. :)

are you saying smith wasn't total garbage for us in the premier league? i'm struggling to think of one decent game smith had for us before we were relegated. he was a liability for us in the top flight, especially when played in midfield. good to see he's found his level mind.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I don't think Smith played the same role for us in the Prem though and certainly didn't have an extended run like he's had in the last few weeks. Of course the CC is going to be an easier level for him but he seems to have grabbed the chance with both hands - something's got him playing well, enough so that I can see him being nabbed in January.

You have to wonder if there's much point in arguing the point with anyone who thinks Alan Smith wasn't dogshit for us in Premier League.

Come on Alex , You can do better than this. :)

are you saying smith wasn't total garbage for us in the premier league? i'm struggling to think of one decent game smith had for us before we were relegated. he was a liability for us in the top flight, especially when played in midfield. good to see he's found his level mind.

Someone can check the stats but didnt he only play 3 or 4 games for us last season ffs.

Bearing in mind his injuries, the distraction at the club, his lack of games and his change in role, i think everyone is being unfair on the lad. Has he not reinvented himself into a David Batty.

I also love the way all those who moan about some of us having blind optimism about our promotion chances are the very ones who have blind optimism about how well Jonas is going to do........

smith has been absolute crap up for us up until this season. i'm not defending jonas either btw