The Guitar Thread

Tom

Don’t worry about the joke too much like. I’ve got a lot of trans/Non-binary people in my circle of friends so I’ve got to watch myself is all :lol: 

Yeh the guff on the Zvex site makes me want to hit the bloke on the head with it more than anything.

Some of the tones are brilliant mind but for some reason the only tone they advertise is Velcro fuzz. Which I don’t like.

I favour the heavier tones & on the FF7 you can get a wonderful rhythm with the tone rolled off. 

They’ve advertised like they’ve trekked across Russia for that transistor mind :D 

Nah you're spot on to call that out. Poor form on my part and I should fucking know better. Overshot that line between just funny wordplay and bigoted, degrading, brainlessness. 

Anyway back on topic, the volume control on the guitar acting like a gain control in these old germanium Fuzz pedals is probably the coolest thing about them and the only real reason it's still sought after in these circles if you ask me. There's a few great Silicon adaptations that get pretty close like some of the David Main (D. A. M) pedals (and even *cough* analogman) but they're just not quite the same and don't clean up to the same extent. 

Feel like I've derailed this, I'll shut the fuck up until you've got it back on track. If anyone wants my input just type something like "boutique" or "analogman" 

Nice one, glad to hear first impressions are good and cheers for the feedback! (same to @sammynb!) Any issues or questions you know where to find me. 

On 17/02/2021 at 14:35, Tom said:

Here’s one to wind EVERYONE up :lol: 

More impressively, the amp in this video is said to be running on the power of his marketing wank. 

On 16/02/2021 at 20:37, sammynb said:

Do I want to buy this?

138466382_10157576675046776_354812668492

Offer rejected, they wanted 1175 and to ship it, I offered 1000 cash and would pick it up. Turns out they don’t like cash during the plague and the price is firm. Been for sale for 6 weeks, can stay for sale for longer.

Might just go get a MIJ Jag instead that I can modify and thrash.

Edited by sammynb

No T, Australian pesos.

It the Japanese reissue from the mid 90s so not a real WRHB, no case and in good not excellent condition so it’s about the right price. Thing is for me I’d probably eant to change the neck pick up for a real WRHB so that’s another 300-400, plus I’d have to buy a hard case, so another 150, so it all adds up.

I’ve got a Jazzmaster and Jag I’m building but cannot get in the garage for all the building shite in there atm so it was an impulse buy (or not as case may be).

A genuine one has popped up for 4000, which over time would be a much smarter buy.

Ah I’ve got you. They are nice guitars mind & bridge pup holds onto the trad tele bite which is pretty much essential. 

Maybe just pick up something cheap for now to thrash about on. 

At the moment I’m looking at a 1975 Gibson Grabber bass, but only if I can get it at a very cheap price. Will see how it goes.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ah I’ve got you. They are nice guitars mind & bridge pup holds onto the trad tele bite which is pretty much essential. 

Maybe just pick up something cheap for now to thrash about on. 

At the moment I’m looking at a 1975 Gibson Grabber bass, but only if I can get it at a cheap price. Will see how it goes.

That’s the other thing, I’ve got other guitars, Baritone Jag, 12 string Jazzmaster I built and the Hooky 6 string bass that are all keen to be used, the Tele just appealed at the right price.

Good luck with the Grabber.

Ah yeh, fair. I’ve got a house full of guitars but I still look for stuff pretty much every day on eBay, gumtree, see what the shops have gotten in new, see what’s up & coming on Music Radar....it’s addictive :lol: 

Last time I had a tele I had a pair of Cabronitas, which were both good but both sold out of boredom. 

(see attached pic of very old rig, 2015?)

We’ll see about the grabber, it’s actually for sale at a physical auction house ffs, so I’m gonna bid my maximum and walk away. :lol: 

93FC2A4C-E493-4F4E-9065-1ACC4158E8A1.jpeg

ECAE77E8-C3F6-4A2F-B3CB-A86B48FC3E1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice. What’s the Marshall?

I’ve got a Carr Aretmis twin because back in the day I had an early 60s AC-15 twin and wanted another again but they are impossible to find or afford and the Carr is 15-30 switchable.

Moment I ordered it Marshall started hand making all their small 60s amps which I probably would have been better off with.

The Marshall is a class 5, so it was intended as a small, relatively quiet amp you can turn up & hit the sweet spots etc

However it’s scandalously loud. I’ve had it a while and I’ve only really cranked it once.

5W of absolute violence :lol: 

(I kind of wish they’d added a 1wt or 1/4wt so it was more useable)

On 19/02/2021 at 10:20, Tom said:

The Marshall is a class 5, so it was intended as a small, relatively quiet amp you can turn up & hit the sweet spots etc

However it’s scandalously loud. I’ve had it a while and I’ve only really cranked it once.

5W of absolute violence :lol: 

(I kind of wish they’d added a 1wt or 1/4wt so it was more useable)

Aye even one watt through a decent speaker can piss off the missus and the neighbours. I impulse bought a Bassbreaker 45 head when Thomann had a flash sale. Nice amp but it's asbo material even in 1watt mode. 

My sheriff runs in its lowest watt mode most of the time and cranked it is just about right for enjoyably loud in my office.

I think thats at 0.3 watts. 

There's an electro-harmonic one aswell, can remember the name of it  They're absolutely not attenuators, just volume pedals essentially. Really handy though.

Obligatory "but given its just a volume pot and two jack sockets they've got a right fucking cheek charging so much for it". (actually £40 is probably fair enough to be honest). 

• Haha 1