The Guitar Thread

Tom

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Looks like I'm picking up a rangemaster from the post office tomorrow morning! Very much looking forward to it, think it will like my 51' Tele a lot

There's not much that boils my blood as much as having to go collect parcels from the depot, but then folk usually only send me effects pedals when they're broken. That and our local depot is a good mile and a half from any decent pubs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

There's not much that boils my blood as much as having to go collect parcels from the depot, but then folk usually only send me effects pedals when they're broken. That and our local depot is a good mile and a half from any decent pubs.

Aye I missed it yesterday, was out getting a tattoo finished. 

Fortunately the collection place is about 1km from home so no bother! 

Will be plugging this in and having a play this aft, really excited to try it! 

Interesting - 

He’s only playing chords mind do it might be different for lead playing or a certainly expert playing. 

I dunno, I reckon a whole load of it is in the hands anyway. 

Aye, I think he's just highlighting that it's 99% just electronics and pickup height that make the difference.

Funny that none of the guitar builders mentioned pickup height and all emphasised things like wood type and density.

Edit: agree it's all in the hands too but that's a different arguement. 

Love that he had two fucked honda engines lying around his barn too. "Naw keep them, I might need them one day for some mad guitar tone experiment". 

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

That's one of the things that's always bent my head about the Pedal Show lads. Playing through a ridiculously convoluted signal chain into a wet-dry setup with 4 or 5 pedals on simultaneously, but insisting that removing the backplate that covers the trem spring makes the guitar sound better. :lol:

• Haha 1

It’s fucking bizarre that one :lol:

It’s 100% an industry thing as well, not sure if it’s a “tartan paint” joke that got out of hand but the strat I got off green day had the back plate off…and I was once talking to a blues guitarist called Ainsley Lister about strat sounds etc and he was like “dude…block the trem and get the back plate off”

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That's one of the things that's always bent my head about the Pedal Show lads. Playing through a ridiculously convoluted signal chain into a wet-dry setup with 4 or 5 pedals on simultaneously, but insisting that removing the backplate that covers the trem spring makes the guitar sound better. :lol:

Aye, if Hendrix did it it must sound better.  Bollocks to the fact Hendrix only to that so he could fuck about with the springs with his hand. Those two twats are so full of shit but I can't hate them since they probably drive a fair amount of the interest in the clones I punt.

I play fairly low slung so that backplate is staying on. Don't want any painful accidents if try any tremolo dives in my pajamas.

• 2 weeks later...

Analogman out there desperately trying to tie in his Germanium "B.A.R.T" transistors (Big Ass Russian Transistors, his own clever acronym) to Ukraine rather than Russia - neglecting to mention that none of that shit has been manufactured anywhere since the fall of the Soviet Union - is quite possibly a new low for the guy. 

Haha :lol: 

Should I repaint my Russian Fuzz Factory 7 Ukraine colours? 

People are trying to cancel Dostoevsky and all sorts. It’s madness!

Easy there @Tom. There's still loads of non-Russian companies producing valves. Germany, USA, Japan and China off the top of my head. I'm surprised to see Mullard on that list though, wasn't aware the new Mullard valves were Russian.

This looks like EHX just shitting their pants a bit because they went all in with Sovtek.

Edited by Blastronaut

Tbh I don’t know what makes a good valve. When I had my Orange Rocker 30 serviced the bloke put Russian Electro-Harmonix in and it sounded absolutely mind blowingly good.

In retrospect that may have been because the valves hadn’t been changed for a decade and I only got the service when the bugger wouldn’t turn on :lol: 

I'm no authority on valves but as long as they're on spec and biased properly it shouldn't matter who makes them. Any differences in the production process or "quality" would likely just affect durability rather than how they sound. Your guy likely biased the valves properly and that was the difference you heard (unless that amp is cathode biased, where you don't really have to worry about biasing when changing valves). 

I was wrong about Japan and USA btw but you can sub them for Slovakia (JJ's) and Mexico (Groove Tubes).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I'm no authority on valves but as long as they're on spec and biased properly it shouldn't matter who makes them. Any differences in the production process or "quality" would likely just affect durability rather than how they sound. Your guy likely biased the valves properly and that was the difference you heard (unless that amp is cathode biased, where you don't really have to worry about biasing when changing valves). 

I was wrong about Japan and USA btw but you can sub them for Slovakia (JJ's) and Mexico (Groove Tubes).

Yeh I think the difference in my Orange was as I said, the tubes were a decade old :lol: 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I’ve just pulled the trigger on the wazas :lol: 

Mint! Well the good news is I probably like them even more now than when we last talked about them. You'll have to keep us updated. 👍

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I’ve just pulled the trigger on the wazas :lol: 

Excellent! The Katana is probably the smartest gear purchase I've made in donkeys years.

Excellent at everything I want it to be, no compromises.

Aye. Well the main reason was that my next door neighbours daughter has moved back in with a young kid, she’s ended up splitting with her bloke just a couple of months after being married.

The last thing they want to hear is my Hendrix impression at half nine at night. Plus I think it’s a cool purchase anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️