Pc gone mad

Kid Dynamite

I think my views on racism have been made pretty clear, but I think this is pushing it a bit too far. The bit where he says 'They wouldnt have written white couple', well actually, if there was only 1 white couple in the restaraunt im sure they probably would have! It was used as a descriptive term, not as a racial slur. Of course some descriptive terms are acceptable, 'tall man', 'blonde lady', 'Muscular man' wouldnt have caused a stir. 'Short man', 'Fat woman', 'Bald man' might have been less acceptable. I think it says more about the attitude of the couple in the story that they see themselves being described as black as an insult. For all racism is horrible, and is still present all over the world today, actions like these are just as negative imo and the world will never be racism free whilst people still have chips on their shoulders.

A student and his girlfriend are furious after being called a 'black couple' on their receipt by staff at a pub.

Johnson Abraham, 24, and Roxanne Duhur, 21, claim they were the only couple dining when they received their bill at the Slug And Lettuce in Islington Green, North London.

Mr Abraham, a mechanical engineering student from Dalston, in Hackney, East London, was at the pub last month with Ms Duhur to celebrate her new job as an estate agent.

They ordered at the bar, without a table number, before going upstairs to find a seat.

When they went to pay for the meal the comment 'upstairs blk couple' was printed on the bill.

Mr Abraham said: 'I was outraged. They wouldn't have written "white couple".

'They could have found another way to describe us. I don't feel it's appropriate.

'They could have just written "couple". The only other people eating apart from us was a large group.

'I do class it as racism. I felt like we were being classed by our colour and nothing else. It spoiled what should have been a celebration.'

Mr Abraham complained to Slug and Lettuce area manager Nick O'Donnell, who admitted the words were 'insensitive'.

The bill with the reference to the couple (circled by MailOnline)

He said: 'The member of the team concerned was trying to make sure that there would be no mistake in sending the food.

'We often put a note on orders to help reduce the chances of an order being sent to the wrong table.

'I agree in this case the language used was inappropriate. I apologise for the upset that this has caused.'

Mr O'Donnell invited the couple back to the pub to prove its 'great intentions'.

He offered them a complimentary bottle of house Champagne - the £29.95 Duval-Leroy Fleur de Champagne Brut - and a sharing platter worth £11.25.

But Mr Abraham, from Dalston, said: 'Champagne and a platter isn't compensation. I want an apology.

'The area manager has phoned to apologise but the waitress hasn't.'

A Slug and Lettuce spokeswoman said managers had spoken to restaurant staff in its outlets with a dining area split over two floors to avoid making the same mistake.

She added: 'We have taken appropriate action with the person involved.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...l#ixzz0Vt6dpFQg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, its not right what they did tbh, but on the other hand I am sick of reading articles and they either have

"A young muslim women"

or

"Black youth"

or

"A young gay man"

and the colour or race or sexuality is no importance to the article at all

You'd think they'd just use table numbers like.

And I take it you didnt even read the article!

I skimmed it. I'm bored, but I'm not that bored.

I'm going to sound all LM here but too many black people have a chip on their shoulder in my opinion.

Of course I recognise the history and if its justified then fair enough but too many delight in the offence the same way too many white lefty liberals take offence on their behalf.

Just so I tick all the boxes this also applies to some Gays (see Peter Tatchell).

i take it you 2 didnt read my comments

What has my post got to do with your comments?

Me - It was used as a descriptive term, not as a racial slur

You - They were being described by their colour, not 'classed' by their colour

Me - The bit where he says 'They wouldnt have written white couple', well actually, if there was only 1 white couple in the restaraunt im sure they probably would have!

Tom - If the restaurant was full of black couples and one white couple was dining I wonder what they would have put?

Me - I think it says more about the attitude of the couple in the story that they see themselves being described as black as an insult.

Meenzer - It says a lot that they see it as a type of insult

Article - They ordered at the bar, without a table number

Alex - You'd think they'd just use table numbers like

Must be the most pointless opening 8 posts in the history of threads on here :huh:

I'm going to sound all LM here but too many black people have a chip on their shoulder in my opinion.

Of course I recognise the history and if its justified then fair enough but too many delight in the offence the same way too many white lefty liberals take offence on their behalf.

Just so I tick all the boxes this also applies to some Gays (see Peter Tatchell).

the world will never be racism free whilst people still have chips on their shoulders.

Keep em coming :huh:

I fucked my wife's sister who's black. When I'd finished, I got my piece of paper out of my wallet and ticked off 'Black Chick'. For some unknown reason, she got a bit irate. Wimmin! :nufc:

:huh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.