Promotion the only focus - Llambias

Sonatine

PROMOTION THE ONLY FOCUS - LLAMBIAS

Posted 04/11/09 10:56

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's only focus is to get the club back into the Barclays Premier League.

Managing director Derek Llambias has insisted the under-fire owner will back new manager Chris Hughton as far as he can as he continues his mission to win promotion from the Cola-Cola Championship at the first attempt.

His comments came after Ashley last week took the club off the market for the second time following another fruitless search for a buyer and appointed Hughton as his permanent manager.

Llambias told Sky Sports News: "We are here. We had to draw the line ourselves by taking it off the market.

"There were a lot of tyre-kickers out there and there's not much money out there, so Mike has decided, 'That's it, I'm staying, I want to put some more money into it and let's get it promoted'.

"He is desperate to get it promoted, that's his focus."

Ashley's decision to remain at the helm, although not unexpected, has not gone down well with large sections of the club's support, and protests have been planned ahead of Saturday's home clash with Peterborough.

The sportswear magnate's cause was not helped by his decision to offer the naming rights for St James' Park to the highest bidder, although Llambias is adamant that the name 'St James' Park' will remain in any new title.

However, he has put another £20million into the club coffers this week and is ready to support his manager in the January transfer market.

Just how far that will extend remains to be seen with Hughton having to make do with loan signings to date.

Llambias said: "Mike has put a lot of money into Newcastle and he has done his best. We have made mistakes.

"He has out another £20million in this week, and that's just for the running costs. Come January, we might have to put some more in."

Hughton has already identified potential targets and has his scouts actively engaged in drawing up dossiers.

However, Ashley, who presided over the hugely destructive and subsequently expensive row between former boss Kevin Keegan and executive director (football) Dennis Wise over the club's recruitment policy, will have the final say.

Llambias said: "We sat down with Chris last week, we asked him what he wanted. There are certain positions that he wants to strengthen, so we have asked for a list of players for those positions, and we will support him.

"I know he has got the scouts out there looking at certain individuals he has pinpointed already and as soon as Chris is ready to press the button, we will go out and get those players - if we can.

"We work with Chris. Let's clear up the final say - the final say is with the Board, which basically is Mike. At the end of the day, Mike has to put the money into it.

"But Chris will recommend the players and we will go out there and get his first choices - if we can."

Sure you will.... :huh:

"Meet Mike - swims like a fish." (one for our older readers, there)

But in our case, it's "Meet Mike, looks like a cunt. Is a cunt. A fat cunt"

:huh:

Btw, what else would the focus of this season be? JW.

So what's plan b than you twat?

I know I'm pissing against the wind but they have to realise that a modicum of investment is the only way to get anywhere near ensuring promotion.

I know I'm pissing against the wind but they have to realise that a modicum of investment is the only way to get anywhere near ensuring promotion.

I know it's repeating what myself and others have said but he made a crazy mistake last January when we were in the shit and, instead of investing to help make sure we stayed up, he made a profit iirc. And it would have been a bigger one if Barton hadn't got injured because that was the only reason Nolan was brought in. What's the chances of the same thing happening this coming January and promotion being jeopardised by another stupid gamble?

What's the chances of the same thing happening this coming January and promotion being jeopardised by another stupid gamble?

I think if we're top he'll make a profit (the greater any gap the more sales) - in the same way I think in January we weren't actually in the bottom 3 so he thought we were okay.

I know it's repeating what myself and others have said but he made a crazy mistake last January when we were in the shit and, instead of investing to help make sure we stayed up, he made a profit iirc. And it would have been a bigger one if Barton hadn't got injured because that was the only reason Nolan was brought in. What's the chances of the same thing happening this coming January and promotion being jeopardised by another stupid gamble?

Kinnear claimed he had £12m to spend leading up to that window too.

Probably being picky here but how come Llardarse always refers to the club as "it"?

Replied without reading others comments :huh:

least i wasn't the only person who picked up on IT

Strange use of words like. I agree with both of you. And HF, I'd forgotten about that little chestnut.

Kinnear claimed he had £12m to spend leading up to that window too.

Only to hunt players like Richardson at the last minute just to claim that they had tried. Now they are probably waiting to hear from these South American agents again...

The quotes on .com say that we are only after players under 22 anyway with us already in talks with to 16 year olds from Ireland. That's probably the calibre we can attract to strengthen the team with paying peanuts.

"Of course (we understand fan fears), we know the history, an incredible history, an incredible passion with the fans. There's an ownership to it, we understand St James' Park, the history is just wonderful. We are not trying to take that away, we are just trying to add something to the revenue status of our club."

I'm glad they understand like. :huh:

People wouldn't mind as much if we were doing ok in the PL under a decent manager who was then going to get all the cash for transfers. But the situation is nothing like that.

"Of course (we understand fan fears), we know the history, an incredible history, an incredible passion with the fans. There's an ownership to it, we understand St James' Park, the history is just wonderful. We are not trying to take that away, we are just trying to add something to the revenue status of our club."

I'm glad they understand like. :huh:

I wonder if we offered him enough money Mike Ashley would add to his name by deed pole.

Not trying to take away anything from him personally, just add to his revenue status by appending 'is a cunt'.

Everytime he comes out with any comments I start to cringe and wish he would just shut the fuck up. Everything he says I just think "fuck off, lying twat". He is full of soundbites and empty promises.

Reminds of that shite song by jimmy nail :

Llambias says

We don't want nobody else, We love this club

He's lying

There won't be somebody else out the door and that's true

He's lying

Say you'll always be my friend Toon Army

Why does he pretend???

Ain't no doubt, it' plain to see

A Chairman like you's no good for me

Your heart's not beating here at all

I'm a done fool for to ask for more