Tipping

Renton

I round up most transactions where I've had service. Taxis, haircuts, round of drinks, restaurant bill etc.

But then I'm extremely generous :)

As there's no transaction with a binman or a postie they get nowt. We clean out own windows as the local Sinbad is a rip off merchant.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once upon a time people might tip binmen as they'd come up your path and grab a metal bin full of rubbish and carry it to the wagon. Now, if the plastic bin with wheels on isn't touching the street pavement they don't want to know, even if the bin is a couple of feet on the drive. My tip for them would be to wear full padding if I ever buy an airgun.

:lol:

Aye.

I round up most transactions where I've had service. Taxis, haircuts, round of drinks, restaurant bill etc.

But then I'm extremely generous :)

As there's no transaction with a binman or a postie they get nowt. We clean out own windows as the local Sinbad is a rip off merchant.

Cleaning your own windows???? That's just wrong for anyone under 50 :lol:

Cleaning your own windows???? That's just wrong for anyone under 50 :lol:

Actually that's just at the planning stage at the moment. New Windows are due to be fitted in the coming weeks. Old ones are rank anyway and we've not cleaned them in the 6 months since we cancelled the window man because we couldn't tell when he'd been.

It's more a good intention that's never likely to happen. But I didn't want to go into detail in my previous post.

Actually that's just at the planning stage at the moment. New Windows are due to be fitted in the coming weeks. Old ones are rank anyway and we've not cleaned them in the 6 months since we cancelled the window man because we couldn't tell when he'd been.

It's more a good intention that's never likely to happen. But I didn't want to go into detail in my previous post.

Fair enough :lol:

You'll usually find 2 or 3 covering the same estate. We had to ditch one as we could never tell how often he'd been. Also people tend to jump straight in with a weekly clean when some will do it fortnightly or monthly.

• 11 months later...

Having been in Mexico/USA several times over the past couple of years it has become apparent that tipping the room cleaners is standard now. I just don't get it at all. If I'm in New York and am paying £200 a night for my room then surely I have a reasonable expectation that my room will be cleaned on my return every day? I get the tipping bar staff and waiters over there but this is just taking the piss.

Edited by ewerk

Having been in Mexico/USA several times over the past couple of years it has become apparent that tipping the room cleaners is standard now. I just don't get it at all. If I'm in New York and am paying £200 a night for my room then surely I have a reasonable expectation that my room will be cleaned on my return every day? I get the tipping bar staff and waiters over there but this is just taking the piss.

Didnt tip them once whilst over there and room was spotless every day :)

Tight bastard :lol:

Cleaners will be on about £2 an hour and relying on tips

The average hotel cleaner in Manhattan is on £32,150 pa, they're not that poorly paid. It still doesn't explain why you should tip someone that you generally have absolutely no interaction with.

Most of them are Latino and will be getting cash in hand id imagine. I can't see many hotels agreeing to pay each cleaner $50kpa

Most hotels in Manhattan are major international chains, they don't really do cash in hand.

The average hotel cleaner in Manhattan is on £32,150 pa, they're not that poorly paid. It still doesn't explain why you should tip someone that you generally have absolutely no interaction with.

That's just what the Mob tell the hotel owners to put on their annual accounts.

There'll be hundreds of hotels in Manhattan. I find it hard to believe that most of those are major chains. I might be wrong though.

382 to be exact, of which only 38% are independent.

That strange feeling you have right now is me turning your world upside down.

:lol: I remain unconvinced that the major chains have a fully unionised workforce, and don't take advantage of the proliferation of desperate immigrants in the city.

Where did you get your figure from anyway? Just wondering, as if it's an average from tax returns, then it includes tipping.