GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

Interesting reading back over this after the revelations from East Anglia and further afield. The focus of debate is the fact that Exxon gave some research group 23m to do research. There wasnt much elaboration on what the research said, or how impactful it was (i'm going to guess low since 23m is a fucking tiny research budget), just the wistful implication of vested interest.

Yet the story about the academics wasnt just an implied 'vested interest', it was a blatant transgression of scientific standards and a direct covering up of research results.

You see the funny side?

Some Scientist a few weeks back said yes there is climate change but we cant do anything about it.

Cant remeber now and cant seem to find a source

Not read it yet but apparently the final chapter of Steven Levitt's new book is on simple solutions to climate change. Been criticised quite heavily but i think he may have written it like that to wind up those sort of scientists you are referring to.

Pole shift tbh, nowt to do with us :( hold on tight for a fast one.

Pole shift is a rare phenomenon and characterized by the north and the south poles swapping places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago.

Pole shift is a rare phenomenon and characterized by the north and the south poles swapping places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago.

Good job I bought that halogen heater then.

It will defo play havoc with yer compass and the GPS guys will have to reprogram - but otherwise the main effect will be on birds - some of them navigate using the magnetic field

It might also affect the Van Allen belts and allow more UV through...........................

Anyone read 'The skeptical Environmentalist' by Bjorn Lomberg? I haven't but he was on Newsnight the other day and presented a canny good case that although warming is a problem, other things really need to take precedence (for example energy conservation, prevention of mass starvation). That seems to pretty much back my ideas up so worth a cherry picked punt?

It will defo play havoc with yer compass and the GPS guys will have to reprogram - but otherwise the main effect will be on birds - some of them navigate using the magnetic field

It might also affect the Van Allen belts and allow more UV through...........................

I've heard it can prompt massive tectonic shifts as well given the large amount of various ore's in the earths crust...looking for the article now.

I've heard it can prompt massive tectonic shifts as well given the large amount of various ore's in the earths crust...looking for the article now.

I saw this theory in a documentary recently as well. Frankly it sounded like utter bollocks - how can the North and South pole transpose themselves in a matter of centuries without giving daily earthquakes of 10,000 on the Richter scale? The evidence seemed to consist of a few rocks with a slightly misaligned magnetic field in Australia iirc, hardly convincing.

Anyone read 'The skeptical Environmentalist' by Bjorn Lomberg? I haven't but he was on Newsnight the other day and presented a canny good case that although warming is a problem, other things really need to take precedence (for example energy conservation, prevention of mass starvation). That seems to pretty much back my ideas up so worth a cherry picked punt?

For me water and oil are far more pressing issues. We really are going to run out of oil very soon.

Pole shift tbh, nowt to do with us :icon_lol: hold on tight for a fast one.

I saw this theory in a documentary recently as well. Frankly it sounded like utter bollocks - how can the North and South pole transpose themselves in a matter of centuries without giving daily earthquakes of 10,000 on the Richter scale? The evidence seemed to consist of a few rocks with a slightly misaligned magnetic field in Australia iirc, hardly convincing.

Geomagnetic shifts are well documented and are one of the main pieces of evidence for plate tectonics - they act like tree rings on a geological scale

Most of the initial work was done at Durham and Newcastle Uni's back in the late 50's to the mid 70's

Edited by Rob W

Pole shift tbh, nowt to do with us :icon_lol: hold on tight for a fast one.

it is utter bollocks - tectonic plates move at an average of 2cm a year - a bit of geomagnetic shift ain't going to move them any faster.....................

Howay man, do you think anyone in this thread has read anything on the background regarding the subject? :icon_lol:

Howay man, do you think anyone in this thread has read anything on the background regarding the subject? :icon_lol:

I feel the need to read a book written by a maverick Scandinavian scientist before I can comfortably evangelise on the subject! <_<

Btw, is anyone going to the Trent tomorrow?

why change the habits of a lifetime??? <_<:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

why change the habits of a lifetime??? <_<:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Well it is a bit late for that at your age I suppose.

Howay man, do you think anyone in this thread has read anything on the background regarding the subject? <_<

why change the habits of a lifetime??? :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Well it is a bit late for that at your age I suppose.

:icon_lol: Ouch

Siva, it's water off a ducks back - as one of the aged (prematurely aged by spending too much time at SJP TBH) I make up for the loss of the elixir of youth by having a brian half the size of a planet and a lifetime of valuable insights etc etc etc

also an occasional smug moment when I can see where some of our younger brethren are about to be wised up in a painful manner (eg buying a hot hatch and then asking about cheap insurance.............)

Edited by Rob W

Might global warning be a myth? there is a small chance that is correct. Might Global warming be a correct hypothesis? There is a chance that this might be correct. When faced with two polarised options surely it is only intelligent to side with the cautious argument and do what we can to inhibit our impact on the planets atmosphere. To do otherwise to me sounds beyond moronic and so selfish as to be incomprehensible.

Might global warning be a myth? there is a small chance that is correct. Might Global warming be a correct hypothesis? There is a chance that this might be correct. When faced with two polarised options surely it is only intelligent to side with the cautious argument and do what we can to inhibit our impact on the planets atmosphere. To do otherwise to me sounds beyond moronic and so selfish as to be incomprehensible.

the logical thing to do is to look at outcomes & costs

I agree its crazy to go overboard but cutting emissions would not only modify the effects of warming but also cut down on smog, respiratory diseases etc as well as force a more efficient use of resources