Is Colo for real?

Deano

REAL MADRID are weighing up a shock January move for Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini.

The Bernabeu giants are urgently seeking a new central defender after Portuguese stopper Pepe was ruled out for the season with cruciate ligament damage.

And Coloccini is on a shortlist of possible targets after recently rediscovering the form which made his reputation in Spain.

Madrid are also looking at Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic and Velez Sarsfield youngster Nicolas Otamendi, who is expected to join Coloccini in the Argentina squad for this summer’s World Cup.

But Ivanovic looks set to sign a new contract at Stamford Bridge and Otamendi lacks height and experience.

Coloccini, who left Deportivo La Coruna for Newcastle for £10 million last summer, is playing with renewed confidence in the Championship this season after a torrid maiden year on Tyneside.

And although a link with Madrid may sound absurd to some, Coloccini’s reputation in Spain – forged during four years at Deportivo and earlier spells at Alaves, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal – remains intact.

Many United fans – and manager Chris Hughton – would now be against letting Coloccini leave, but a bid which would offer any significant return on their outlay on him would be difficult for the Magpies’ hierarchy to resist.

And the player himself would be forgiven for being keen on a move to the Spanish capital and its promise of Champions League glory.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-25474165/

Never thought id say i didnt want Colo to go if a good offer comes in but here i am actually wanting him to stay! He has been one of our better players so far this season and arguably one of the reasons we have a good defensive record this term (that and the poor division we are in).

But on the other hand, for all he has looked decent in the championship, i like many others are still a little worried he wont cut it in the PL.

Id like to see if he could make the step up though but if a bid came in of around 7mil it would be hard to turn down.

Thoughts?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always maintained, Colo is a class player. He needed time to settle into the English League. We have to keep him and our defence. Our first team defence is arguably fit to play in the premiership at this moment.

he's crao get rid. Looks alright in the clowns league we are in...

Would rather wait till the end of the season. We are where we are because of players like him. Would rather not rock the boat at this stage.

he's crao get rid. Looks alright in the clowns league we are in...

Would rather wait till the end of the season. We are where we are because of players like him. Would rather not rock the boat at this stage.

Aye, we're in the championship because we had players plainly not suited to the PL like Colo last season.

If he gets sold he'll probably be replaced with a player of lesser quality anyway which is another factor. I don't believe Real Madrid are in for him like. He has been fantastic at times this season mind but the quality of the opposition is obviously the main reason for that.

He's been quality for us this season, but in the premier league he was constantly beaten by player with pace and skill. If an offer came in for close to what was paid for him it would be hard to knock it back. Coloccini himself would surely want to play for real Madrid. He's also on high wages for us. With our current owner and chairman it's a fair bet that if he was sold that the money would not be reinvested info the squad and so for that reaSon alone I hope he doesn't go.

I'd have to say that I think the whole thing is probably bollocks.

No centre back should be a confidence player. Titus was. Collo seems to be too.

If anyone came in with anything close to what we paid (£8-10m?)it would be silly not to sell-he's probably on fantastic wages.

We'd be screwed if Colo left, simple as.

Simple as what Peasepud?

What's been seen of Kadar hasn't been all bad and perhaps him and Taylor could form a steady partnership if given a chance.

Thing is, Colo could just as well get injured and I'd hate to think we'd be screwed in either case.

Simple as what Peasepud?

What's been seen of Kadar hasn't been all bad and perhaps him and Taylor could form a steady partnership if given a chance.

Thing is, Colo could just as well get injured and I'd hate to think we'd be screwed in either case.

losers attitude. Its obvious you grew up in the 1960's and 70's when we sold our good players. No wonder you didn't appreciate the Halls and Shepherd. He has been good at this lower level but to suggest you should take the money because you have an uproven kid who has shown little so far on the sidelines is bollocks.

Simple as what Peasepud?

4 first team appearances doest make him a world beater, yes Colo was one of those responsible for our demise last season but so were Shola, Nolan, Jonas, Smith, Enrique and Taylor. All of which Id be pissed off to see leave as it would be a knock to an already flimsy squad which so far has managed to avoid the injury jinx that normally hits us.

Trouble is, damage is done, all of the above players have done enough to get themselves firmly rooted in the shop window and instead of dropping the shutters and telling anyone who wanders by that we're closed, our current owners will be firmly plastering the Sale signs on the window and setting up the till by the door ready for action come Friday.

I dont think we are 'lookin' to sell anyone, and for the first time in a while im quietly confident this window will be a good one for us. Ashley can see the pound signs at the end of the season rather than in this window...for all he is a clown i think even he will know that a few in and none out will benefit us and his bank balance come the summer....

Simple as what Peasepud?

If we did sell him you'd be fucking moaning about it though :icon_lol:

I dont think we are 'lookin' to sell anyone, and for the first time in a while im quietly confident this window will be a good one for us. Ashley can see the pound signs at the end of the season rather than in this window...for all he is a clown i think even he will know that a few in and none out will benefit us and his bank balance come the summer....

Aye, I tend to agree that he can't be that stupid although I think a decent bid for Colo and getting someone like Kilgallon in is what Ashley would see as a 'good bit of business'. I'd reiterate that I don't believe the story anyway though.

Ahhh the folly of youth

the main reason we went down was because we had NO confiedence and NO belief.....

no we are playing with belief and confidence and we have the talent to do well in the prem.The players look happier and there is a strong sense of togetherness.when we score all the players celebrate together and im really enjoying watching the boys at the moment.I know people will say its because we are in the championship but look deeper than that and see the boys happy and enjoying there football. PLAYING WITH A SMILE ON THERE FACE...