What are you drinking?

Guest alex

:lol: They sound interesting at the very least. Finishing off dry January which was an absolute piece of piss. Easy to do when you see a rapid weight gain over Christmas, I suppose. Then again, I’ve done some stupid things drunk but never anything as stupid as signing up for the Great North Run so cant wait to get back on the drink.

I'm doing dry & Vegan January. I'm keeping the veganism but I'm looking forward to a drink :lol: 

Dry January has been a piece of piss tbh, a lot of the non alcoholic beer is canny if you're out too. Erdinger/Heineken etc. 'Ghost Ship' tastes just like a proper ale but it's not vegan for some strange reason.

How you getting on with the veganism, Tom? I’ve struggled to stick to it. My Mrs has been fully committed to for environmental reasons for about six months so I eat vegan with her but am veggie about 50% of the time. Cheese is my weakness  

Great, I'm really enjoying & feeling a lot lighter and a lot more energetic. It makes cooking a lot more fun too - as everything feels new at the moment. 

It makes shopping a lot quicker too as I know there are aisles I can basically skip. I've slipped up once - some crisps I ate had milk in despite having a big V on the side - but it's no big deal really. 

Some of the vegan cheese is great but the majority is utter shite. I enjoyed the Edam/Mozzarella efforts a lot and we had it on home made pizzas which was great. 

Vegan milk options are great. I actually prefer oat milk to cows milk now. I’ve found it quite easy to give up eggs too. 

The vegan cheese is where I struggle with it. They’re getting better but they’re still no replacement for the real thing. At best, the ones I’ve tried are like the worst types of processed cow’s cheese. I’ve tried loads of vegan pizza but am yet to sample one that tastes anywhere near as good as the real thing. 

I don’t mind eating loads of beans and pulses for protein but I just end up letting the most rancid farts rip, so struggle with it for every meal.

The temptation is to eat loads of processed vegan meat substitutes, as some of them are pretty good now, but which I try to avoid as they are often quite high in sodium and other icky stuff.

Yeh I love oat milk - but I'll often drink coffee black, especially at work where I don't want attention seeking 'special milk' in the fridge. 

We made our own pizzas and it was pretty much as good as the same thing tbh. 

For protein, Tofu is pretty good plus I eat a lot of nuts. Worst comes to worst if I come back from the gym and I'm knackered I'll just eat spoonfuls' of peanut butter :lol: 

I do eat the meat substitutes but not too much. Although the Vivera range from Sainburys is pretty decent. When I was on a veggie diet last year I'd have the quorn pieces a lot - but again, bizarrely not vegan.

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Any vegan cheese brands you’d recommend? The ones that are coconut based I struggle with but I heard the cashew ones might be better?

Violife is pretty decent but again it's Coconut based, Sainsburys own brand mozarella is good but I think the best we've had is the Cheezly stuff! I think Asda do it but we got a lot of it for nowt from a restaurant where my sistter works.

Edit : daiya was great too but its not cheap :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh I love oat milk - but I'll often drink coffee black, especially at work where I don't want attention seeking 'special milk' in the fridge. 

We made our own pizzas and it was pretty much as good as the same thing tbh. 

For protein, Tofu is pretty good plus I eat a lot of nuts. Worst comes to worst if I come back from the gym and I'm knackered I'll just eat spoonfuls' of peanut butter :lol: 

I do eat the meat substitutes but not too much. Although the Vivera range from Sainburys is pretty decent. When I was on a veggie diet last year I'd have the quorn pieces a lot - but again, bizarrely not vegan.

Yeah, nuts and nut butters are a good shout. My local corner shop does these awesome chilli roasted cashews, which have become my go to snack

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, nuts and nut butters are a good shout. My local corner shop does these awesome chilli roasted cashews, which have become my go to snack

I cant do cashews but I'd probably eat some kind of peanut everyday, The 'graze' packs or whatever are pretty decent.

37 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I thought this board couldn’t get much more middle class but well done lads, you pulled it out of the bag once again.

Well that’s me done for now. These kale and avocado smoothies won’t make them selves you know 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Meenzer said:

It'll be a terrible approximation I'm sure, the alcohol-free "whisky" ( :lol: ) is - a sugary mess that smells quite convincingly like a blended scotch but certainly doesn't taste like one - but I've just bought another bottle of that anyway because it's quite nice over ice in its own right. :D

Given how much of the cost of actual spirits is down to duty based on the ABV that’s some expensive fucking cordial 

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Na, bookcase ;)

My old man was a chippy mum a home help. She's lying in the Borders General Hospital in Melrose as we speak with her large print library books. 

They both thought Brexit was fuckin stupid. How many books have you read again?...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...